What is the cost of your system?

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 19,596
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Anywho, I was looking for system cost, at retail, minus cabling/accessories to get at a "core" component cost demographic for the forum. Not HT stuff, but dedicated music system components.

Mine: $8850.00 (amp, pre, source, speakers, power center)

My retail number is near 75k, but as said before, I either built it myself or bought used and restored all of it. If I was to sell everything off that I currently have, I could end up turning a nice profit from my 15k investment.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

• Tony MTony M Posts: 7,452
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Two marriages and three houses but it was worth it!

:s :# Ouch.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    edited January 26
    #1...Do you want our main stereo's stuffs value when it was new?

#2...Or what we have paid out to aquire what we use as our main systems?

If it's #2, then your pole will get a few hits for sure.
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,170
    Shoot: Cabling, power conditioning and room treatments probably puts me very close to category 3 already. So please put me in category 4.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
    I'm going to try cost when new retail.

I have 2 sets of speakers hooked up to the Integrated so I'll count both pair.

Around 7500.00. If the SRS2s were 1200.00 when new.
  • halohalo Posts: 4,895
    Tony M wrote: »
    I'm going to try cost when new retail.

I have 2 sets of speakers hooked up to the Integrated so I'll count both pair.

Around 7500.00. If the SRS2s were 1200.00 when new.

If the SRS2s were $1200 new back then, what would be the $ amount in $ today?

I think that's a more accurate representation of what people have invested in regards to the MSRP of a system. However, realistically, most people here don't pay the MSRP for their gear. Most people here (I say most) buy their gear from previous owner(s) or B-stock or when a very good deal comes along. For those that have invested in aftermarket interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords, that should definitely be figured into the total* cost of a system

(*In my humble opinion, there's no way to accurately calculate all the man hours put into making adjustments, configurations, modifications, etc).
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,170
    halo wrote: »
    (*In my humble opinion, there's no way to accurately calculate all the man hours put into making adjustments, configurations, modifications, etc).

That would be a hell of a lot of money. But I believe for many of us, that is the fun part of this hobby besides just sitting down and enjoying the music.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,385
    Ok, then in that case, with the NAD C320-BEE, NAD tuner, pioneer carousel, Sony ES dual cassette (last ES model they made), ProJect table, and the SRS 2s, i believe I sit firmly in the second category (retail). My cost of all listed items is ~ 800. I'm not complaining :)
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 2,108
    I’m more impressed to see this^
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, PS Audio Stellar gain M700 mono blocks, Elac Adante AF-61 towers Black, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with Canaro 2 subplatter, dual belt pulley and upgraded bearing, Rega Ania MC cart, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre with CBS NOS 12au7, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ red river XLR's and Victoria IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables

5.1: Marantz sr5013 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Linn LK240 mono blocks pair, Totem Rainmakers, Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
    Never gonna happen Joe, I'd never live it down. Let's just say that the layout breaks a few cardinal rules. Though if you really wanted to, I could PM you a pic
    Misunderstanding
    I meant I’m more impressed to see lower numbers with a complete system that has synergy and is pleasing to the owner
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, PS Audio Stellar gain M700 mono blocks, Elac Adante AF-61 towers Black, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with Canaro 2 subplatter, dual belt pulley and upgraded bearing, Rega Ania MC cart, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre with CBS NOS 12au7, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ red river XLR's and Victoria IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables

5.1: Marantz sr5013 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Linn LK240 mono blocks pair, Totem Rainmakers, Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
    In that case, this combo works very well for it's price point. Can't wait to bring in the 2.3s, 1600 pre and 2400 PE. That combo will bump the total to just over 1k. I will show it off once installed.
    Good stuff Arty.

My cost of my 7k+ system is 1000.00. give or take 50.00.

That's not including the Perspex TT or the Triton Ones. They're on another system.
    Tony, I dare say that you are some what of a freak when it comes to redonkulous deals. Your rigs don't count! :p same goes for @la2vegas :# ;)
    I even contemplated getting a job at a rural dump site many, many years ago.

Just think of the horror about how many Silver Faced receivers / amps and speakers too that ended up in the dumps. :s :'( :#
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,566
    Including cables, we are looking at $100K+ at list price. Saved a few dollars buying demo Pass gear, and buying cables from a vendor that doesn’t sell at list.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1 - X1 power supply
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 2,074
    edited January 27
    My list price is well under my paid price. For the 2Bs, tweeters, crossover upgrades, preamp, cables, sources, rack, amp, turntable, upgraded cartridge... I paid around $1080.

Retail on the used market now $2500ish. Original MSRP, around $3500-4000.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,761
    My immediate guess was under $5,000. After thinking about it for half a minute, that doubled. With a bit more calculation: $15,000. I guess that's why I'm living in a van down by the river. :'(
    xfw7oibtajsg.gif

• stangman67stangman67 Posts: 1,026
    Retail was around 14000 for my current equipment. I paid in the ballpark of 10000. I usually try my best to never buy anything at full price. Only one piece was bought used. Sales/closeouts always happens eventually
    2 Channel
    BlueSound Node 2 Streaming Tidal I Marantz SA8005 I Music Hall MMF7.3 I Lounge Audio LCR Mk III I Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 I B&K Ref 200.2 I Focal Aria 926 I Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's I Acoustic Zen Satori SC I Pangea AC14SE MkII/PS Audio AC-3 Power Cables

Living Room HT
    Sony XBR65X930E I Marantz NR-1608 I Q Acoustics 2020i I Q Acoustics 3090c I FXI-A4's I DIY 15" Dayton SW

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,494
    edited January 27
    The cheapest system I have that I'd be willing like to use (didn't word that correctly before), my Mission 770s, NAD C352, and my Technics TT, cost $365. My main system right now (Kef Q150s instead of the Missions, otherwise the same) cost me $595. When I buy cables in the upcoming weeks that'll add around $200 to that, plus the wood for stands and the audio rack I'm planning on building.
    Wow that is more than I thought it was. Maybe I'm not as good of a deal hunter as I thought I was... ;)
    Post edited by mlistens03 on
    Micah
    music on vinyl; https://www.discogs.com/user/mlistens03/collection
    Technics SL3200 turntable; Shure M97xE cart; Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2; NAD C352 integrated; KEF Q150 speakers; Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer; home-built stands, generic cables but will upgrade soon...

desktop; Lenovo G50 running Win10, Yamaha RX-v665 AVR, JBL e30 headphones
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 658
    Sometimes a picture...
    cch5l91mu4wj.jpg
    edited January 27
    Micah. You have a fantastic system and I can imagine that you’ll be at a level you only dreamed of when your 15-20 yrs down the road.

• audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 910
    Too lazy to research MSRP but my living room system (for the moment) including cables was less than $3,000. Very happy where I'm at but of course this will go up some once I figure in the new 1000va Dreadnought and Wireworld Mini-Eclipse IC cables for it. Of course I've only been back in this audio journey for about a year so...
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    800 Va Dreadnought- Speaker Interconnect
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • verbverb Posts: 5,152
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Sometimes a picture...
    cch5l91mu4wj.jpg

How did you get a hold of a pic from @Viking64 's family album? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Bottlehead SEX 2.1 Integrated Amp, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), AudioEngine B1 streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    Spares VTL 2.5 Pre, EAR 834L Pre, Rotel RC1580 Pre, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Carver TFM35x Amp, (2) Dayens Ampino Integrated, (2) SDA 1C's, Monitor 10's, Monitor 5Jr's, Polk TSi200's, Rega RP1 TT, Project BoxE Bluetooth Streamer
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,044
    Hey, that's nice Sony stuff! :#
    I think the tt might (???) even be a Sony 2251 (my current daily driver) -- or a relative thereof.

Besides, I see no pug. :)

• Polkitup2Polkitup2 Posts: 1,460
    Assuming this is the retail price you tell your wife, for my Mcintosh/Harbeth/Wyred/MIT 2 channel setup I'm guessing around $500. :p
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,249
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    Assuming this is the retail price you tell your wife, for my Mcintosh/Harbeth/Wyred/MIT 2 channel setup I'm guessing around $500. :p

That's only funny till you roll over in your grave when she sells it for $100 :#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC