Record storage

I like the way you can flip through records in a shop and not have to try and read a thin spline with your head turned sideways. I also like my records up off the floor. Here's a link to a DIY storage bin that won't break the bank. I plan to build a couple of these and with casters on them they can go anywhere easily. I hope posting a link to another forum is OK?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/record-bin-from-single-4-x-8-sheet-of-plywood-plans.337891/
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    edited January 2019
    Mike - those are photos of the one you built? Very nice, I like the pipe legs.
    400450 LPs?!? Good Gyahd man! You're giving P-man a run!

Here's a screenshot of the one Bob's linked above. This one's pretty neat, too

hldxxei947bg.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Here’s a photo showing the sliding drawer. I was thinking about doing a thread with the basic plans. Let me know if you have interest. Its on adjustable feet, I originally was gonna use casters but went this way. I did the riser on the bottom last as I wanted it a bit higher after completion.

xyobuyhx80y4.jpeg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    I'd be interested in seeing build/showcase threads on both yours and Mike's plans/builds on these.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    I drew up a rather rudimentary sketch/plan that I went off, i’ll try to locate it in my well-organized files.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited January 2019
    msg wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing build/showcase threads on both yours and Mike's plans/builds on these.

Yeah, closing in on a half million LPs.:D I really didn't have any plans, just a couple of sketches that I drew up. They're long gone.
  • dromunds
    Here’s a rough sketch plan I found that I went off. Like I said I did a riser after completion as I wanted it four inches higher. I wanted two record store-type bins on top but also more storage below with dividers.

zlm6nwy585xu.jpeg
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Wow what a great thread. Lots of very nice ideas. It is winter... maybe time for a project.

Can you stain plywood and have it look good?
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Mike Reeter
    machone and decal, Very nice cabinets you have come up with! Look very functional, great job!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Lots of ideas for me when the weather warms up.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    630o4y8j7lwu.jpg

I purchased one of these from Goodwill over the weekend. Removed the top and third bars and it holds my vinyl perfectly. Probably going to sand it down and redo the finish but it only cost me about $15. I'm happy with it.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Dang, must be nice to have DIY skills and cheaper too :)
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    My vinyl storage rhymes with Screw Flubber Maid Wins...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Mine are in a wooden crate. Not enough room they are stuffed in there. I am looking for a nice solution as well. That hols enough but not huge and that will compliment the rest of the decor we have going on.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2019
    That damn MFSL Beatles box set doesn't store well in anybody's shelf! :(
    Carl

• reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    edited January 2019
    I came across this plan some time ago, and decided to build my own version.

It will hold around 400450 LPs.

I really like the pipe legs and the raised panels on the front. I would imagine that improves WAF as well.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    The Titanic is very nice too. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Mike Reeter
    reverb wrote: »
    I came across this plan some time ago, and decided to build my own version.

It will hold around 400-450 LPs.

I really like the pipe legs and the raised panels on the front. I would imagine that improves WAF as well.

Well, lets just say that she "tolerates" my stuff! I wanted something very sturdy, between two full sheets of 3/4" material and around 450 lp's, it a substantial amount of weight.

I had the Iron Pipe cut/threaded at our local ACE Hardware, the cost of the fittings were about as much as the pipe. But, it's stout.

The upper raised panel is for looks, the two lower ones are drawers.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    This is what I am using for record storage. I would like to do something different, working on plans to remodel room, which will include built-in record storage.

These are from Ikea. They are actually 5 separate units turned on their side and stacked on top of each other. Very functional.

ncnkpb42eyde.jpg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    tratliff wrote: »
    This is what I am using for record storage. I would like to do something different, working on plans to remodel room, which will include built-in record storage.

These are from Ikea. They are actually 5 separate units turned on their side and stacked on top of each other. Very functional.

ncnkpb42eyde.jpg

Say what you will about 'IKEA' but they do make useful items. My wife is somewhat obsessed with their cabinets. We use their vanity cabinets & kitchen cabinets all through our home. @tratliff Loving that 'Lava Lamp' collection. B)
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • tratliff
    ThomasD wrote: »
    @tratliff Loving that 'Lava Lamp' collection. B)

I collect different Beatles memorabilia. Those are all Beatles related. I mounted them on the mantel because the house was designed for a flat screen to be mounted on that wall. So power is behind the mantel controlled by a remote. Covers the outlet and cable connection.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Having a cabinet maker friend of mine build a 'mid century' style console for some of my equipment and records. It will be in the living room so must pass the WAF. Have been wanting to delve into the 'reel to reel' world a little. Most R2R equipment doesn't lend itself well to console's unless built in. @tratliff where do you find your R2R media?
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • tratliff
    ThomasD wrote: »
    @tratliff where do you find your R2R media?

My collection is very limited. Mostly from personal recordings and my dad. The Tape Project is a source of high quality pre-recorded tapes. But they are expensive. I thought my vinyl was pricy. The tapes are in another category.