Tower speaker as center channel

So I made the mistake of hooking up one of my RTiA9 towers as a center. I was bored and was testing out some other tower speakers so they were not hooked up at all.

It sounds so good now I don’t want to go back to a horizontal center. I am moving in the next 3-6 months and hopefully will be getting a dedicated theater space so it will be possible to make a tower center permanent.

Now the tough part will be waiting. I have tried so many center channels and am always left disappointed, im just glad I finally tried the tower!

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    It has been said ideally you should use the same speaker as your L/R for your center. Most people have a TV in the way.
  • There’s so many factors that can effect performance of a system you just can’t imagine the difference it makes unless you try it yourself.

Most of the houses I’m looking at have either a basement or bonus room. My plan all along has been to build a false wall to have easy access from behind for equipment, so if I get either room it will be the perfect time to make it permanent.

I have been auditioning the rtia9 against the klipsch rp8000f. I like the rtia9 Over the 8000f but not satisfied with the csia6. Before shipping back the rtia9 I figured it was worth a try and it is night and day for me personally. Looks like I’ll be shipping klipsch speaker back.
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    The RtiA9 is a tall tower. It's possible that when you experimented with it, it was situated in a higher position than was the csia6. Perhaps it was the elevated stage that made the noticeable difference? They're timbre matched, so I'm trying to understand what would differentiate the two other than placement and of course bass response. But I doubt bass response was the selling point for you.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • popeyeschmoyer
    popeyeschmoyer Posts: 18
    edited January 2019
    My tv stand is somewhat high so the center placement is within 6” of tower. Main thing I could think is the mid drivers not being ported like the csia6.
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    I'd do it if I could. Maybe lop off the top of a bargain find A9/Rti12, seal it, run new terminals and bam. Center channel. Or wouldn't that just be a CSiA4? Or maybe get two, lay them on their sides top to top and boom. Center Channel. That might actually work in my setup if I lay them across the top of the subs...Hmmm...
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• I don’t have any experience reconfiguring components. Seems like any of the rti towers might sound good as well. I’m looking forward to using an a9 for my Center.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    This is the way to go if you have the space. It's how it's done at movie theaters. If you have the space and you're going all out, the best case scenario is building a soundstage with a full audio transparent screen. It's a hard sell to give up that much square footage at home, but it really is ideal. Matched towers and the subs all behind the screen.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Having 3 timbre matched vertical speakers up front is the ideal. In my case, I did it with LSiM 705s for L&R and a 703 on my cabinet for the center, with all tweeters at ear height. This does require that your TV or screen be about 7" higher than with a horizontal center, but the improved front soundstage was worth it for me.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    As far as horizontal center channel speakers go, the 3-way LSiM706 is pretty good. I think only an optimized horizontal line array can best its design. Going with a matched vertical speaker is of course the best option for a dedicated theater. Using the 703 for a center is a pretty good idea shs.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    WLDock wrote: »
    As far as horizontal center channel speakers go, the 3-way LSiM706 is pretty good. I think only an optimized horizontal line array can best its design. Going with a matched vertical speaker is of course the best option for a dedicated theater. Using the 703 for a center is a pretty good idea shs.

I’m very happy with my 706c and think it compliments the 705 really welll. I’m still looking for a tv stand to accommodate it. Might get something with a built in mount so the speaker can sit right beneath the tv.
  • pawelmwo wrote: »

I’m very happy with my 706c and think it compliments the 705 really welll. I’m still looking for a tv stand to accommodate it. Might get something with a built in mount so the speaker can sit right beneath the tv.

Where did you buy yours from?
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo wrote: »

Adorama, the sale is still on for $499. Enjoy :)

Cherry

Midnight Mohogany
  • pawelmwo wrote: »

Cherry

Midnight Mohogany

Did everything arrive in good condition? I’ve seen mixed opinions form Adorama shipments
  • pawelmwo
    edited January 2019

Cherry

Midnight Mohogany

Did everything arrive in good condition? I’ve seen mixed opinions form Adorama shipments

Yes double boxed. No issues whatsoever with the center. Arrived in pristine condition. My tower had a loose PowerPort, but that was easy to put back in. I believe any of the issues in shipping may be blamed on Fedex or UPS.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2019
    I've had a few center channel speakers, the Polk CS400i, CS1000p, LSiM706c, Chane A2rx-c, Boston Acoustics VR910 and VR920. I've tried them lower on a stand as well as in a center channel compartment. I found I got the best vocal height / anchoring, and uncolored sound with the speaker on top of the TV stand, slightly tilted, at the edge of the stand. I mounted my TV to the wall.

y1lgaz8unsjj.png
    wkanifdscwnu.png

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Possibly going to be able to get vertical tower. Gonna buy another one and if I can’t make it work now I’ll just wait. Really just need to get 2 slim media towers to flank each side so it’s symmetrical. As far as tv height, the way my couch sits and my head is angled my center point has always been just slightly above midpoint on 8’ ceilings. So not worried about that part.
  • ez7y8dh7ebvm.jpeg

Don’t have the media towers to go to each side yet but this is what it would look like. I will have to adjust screen up a few inches.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    I tried if for awhile, my off axis was a bit too off. When I have the space, I have a 4th, the extra pair serves as wides.

q3l7a7fbt88y.jpg
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I tried if for awhile, my off axis was a bit too off. When I have the space, I have a 4th, the extra pair serves as wides.

You tried the tower as a center and didn’t like it? Or that’s your current center?
  • Geoff4rfc
    You tried the tower as a center and didn’t like it? Or that’s your current center?

I liked it, due to space constraints, I pulled it. Providing I had the space, I would run the A9 in just about every position. I've had a pair as rears and on stands, wow, very dynamic. So for now, I remain with a 706 at the center's helm.

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

I liked it, due to space constraints, I pulled it. Providing I had the space, I would run the A9 in just about every position. I've had a pair as rears and on stands, wow, very dynamic. So for now, I remain with a 706 at the center's helm.

If space isn’t a concern do you like the rtia9 or 706 better as a center?
  • Geoff4rfc

I would use the A9's straight across if I could.

I would use the A9's straight across if I could.

Have you compared to any other speakers? I have some Klipsch at the moment too. To me both have pros and cons. The main difference is how in your face the klipsch is and how laid back the polks are. I don’t really consider the klipsch bright it’s just very forward.

I haven’t spent enough time with both to decide what to do yet. I’m also moving soon and may have two separate spaces so not sure what I’ll do in terms of if I’ll send anything back.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Have you compared to any other speakers?

It's been awhile since I've compared to any other speaker brands. I've heard the Klipsch, not my cup of tea. There may be a day when I grab a pair of 707's, but not committed yet...…..

I've been more than satisfied with my RTiA set up. As far as I can see, I'll keep it as long as I'm able.

Having two separate spaces is what I'd love to have. One for H.T, one for music.....ah if only.

I'm sure you'll make the most of your space!!

Have you compared to any other speakers?

It's been awhile since I've compared to any other speaker brands. I've heard the Klipsch, not my cup of tea. There may be a day when I grab a pair of 707's, but not committed yet...…..

I've been more than satisfied with my RTiA set up. As far as I can see, I'll keep it as long as I'm able.

Having two separate spaces is what I'd love to have. One for H.T, one for music.....ah if only.

I'm sure you'll make the most of your space!!

I’ve tried so many at this point it’s getting tiring lol

It seems like the rtiA speakers just suite my ears best. I’ve tried a lot of good speakers and heard a lot as well, but for the price and overall balance I think the rtia series is gonna win for me. At the prices they sell I don’t think it can be beat, if it were retail prices then it may be a different story.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    If you build a Wall to hide all 3 speakers, this would be ideal situation and a Micro Perf Screen. This way you can have your Floor standing speaker as a center and not have to change the position of the screen. The screen should be properly placed in your room, not work around the speakers.

Also take note that if your not happy with a center channel especially one that is designed and matched to your main channel speakers you have both placement and setup issues. Your not crossover over properly or calibrated. You are also not positioning and aiming the tweeter correctly. Little things like this make huge improvements in ones system.
    In all my decades of setting up theater rooms never once did I feel the center channel of the given system was a weak link.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ez7y8dh7ebvm.jpeg

Don’t have the media towers to go to each side yet but this is what it would look like. I will have to adjust screen up a few inches.

betting the fish in that tank get a hoot out of the subs!! :):)
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • ez7y8dh7ebvm.jpeg

betting the fish in that tank get a hoot out of the subs!! :):)

Yeah lol I have 2 other tanks and that’s the only place that one fits