Got a pair of M10 Series 2, need to replace one of the SL2500 tweeter, SL2500 or RD0198?

mastergat
mastergat Posts: 8
edited January 2019 in Speakers
Hi, just got my hand on a nice pair of M10 Series 2 and one of the tweeter is dead. I'm wondering if I should get a SL2500 to replace it or upgrade both tweeter with the direct fit-in replacement RD0198? Also, if you guys would have 1 SL2500 or 2 RD0198 that you want to part out, I'd be happy!

Also! Would you guys recap the crossovers? If yes, I would need to source the exact same caps or there are better ones? I'm in Canada by the way!

EDIT: My bad, RD0198 instead of RD0194
Post edited by mastergat on

Comments

• Is there a fuse on the back?
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2019
    Series Il will use the RDO198. Which is the replacement for the SL2500.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • @michaeljhsda2 at the back of the tweeter, no, you can only see the magnet.

@motorhead43026 my bad, RD0198 indeed!
  • I should have been more specific, are there any fuses at the binding-post cup? If there are try rotating the fuse in the socket, it could just be a bad connection.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • I should have been more specific, are there any fuses at the binding-post cup? If there are try rotating the fuse in the socket, it could just be a bad connection.

Nothing behind the binding post cup, only the crossover :(!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    You can't buy a new SL2500, so you'll need the buy 2 new RD0198 tweeters.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    198's are far better. Your ears will thank you. Yes on crossovers as they are old & tired. 10's are great speakers. Welcome to Polk forum
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450 wrote: »
    198's are far better. Your ears will thank you. Yes on crossovers as they are old & tired. 10's are great speakers. Welcome to Polk forum

All right, I'll go this way! I read that there's a discount for members of this forum directly at Polk? How can I get this discount, do I need to send an email to someone to get a quote?

Thank you!
  • boston1450
    call Polk & tell them your on Polk forum & they will discount you on order
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Every Polk Monitor or SDA upgraded tweeter ive done there is a very noticeable difference. Well worth the price. Keep old ones for spares Or sell em off. Make sure you have the speaker model 100% correct & the correct tweeter for your upgrade. Post pictures here can be very helpful
    Randy/Maine
  • mastergat
    edited January 2019
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Every Polk Monitor or SDA upgraded tweeter ive done there is a very noticeable difference. Well worth the price. Keep old ones for spares Or sell em off. Make sure you have the speaker model 100% correct & the correct tweeter for your upgrade. Post pictures here can be very helpful

Here are the tweeters, SL 2500, so I assume I need 2 RDA0198, right?

4wcw1e8o4gu3.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yes the RD-0198 is the correct tweeter to replace those.
  • FYI and everyone, if you are in Canada, you can order them from a company in Ontario called Morgan Technology (http://www.morgantech.ca)! Got them at 40 CAD each which is cheaper than Polk Audio with the forum discount!
  • Installed my RD0198 and built the new crossovers! They are now rocking!

r306zrja89xg.jpg
  • boston1450
    edited January 2019
    Nice. I think you'll like those tweets. Nice work. Enjoy breaking in those crossovers
    Randy/Maine
  • Did you remove the poly switches?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    That binding post cup looks a little rough. Is it sealed back there? If not that will affect bass output.
  • Good eye pit.

• mastergat
    edited January 2019
    Did you remove the poly switches?

I don't even know what it is :open_mouth: ! Can you point it out on this pic and tell me what they do and why should I remove them?

b2wseus6ewfm.jpg

If you are referring to this type of component, there was none on the board.

RGEF500.jpg

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That binding post cup looks a little rough. Is it sealed back there? If not that will affect bass output.

Yeah, this cup is damaged but it seals thightly!
  • EBERE
    EBERE Posts: 3
    edited November 2023
    Folks new here. Looking to get my hands on a couple RD0198 tweeters. I am in Canada west coast & have not had much luck locally... Posting here as I noticed Mastergat mentioned Morgantech.ca, I have tried calling these guys as the web link does not work, and left multiple messages no response either.... any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 883
    edited November 2023
    EBERE wrote: »
    Folks new here. Looking to get my hands on a couple RD0198 tweeters. I am in Canada west coast & have not had much luck locally... Posting here as I noticed Mastergat mentioned Morgantech.ca, I have tried calling these guys as the web link does not work, and left multiple messages no response either.... any recommendations would be appreciated.

Buy directly from Polk. Midwest Speaker Repair (the link F1Nut sent) is good for US buyers but the shipping is pretty high. I paid $156 on the dot for two RD-0198 tweeters, that's in Canadian dollars and includes shipping to my doorstep.

Midwest will be $172.49 CAD without shipping. Make sure you tell Polk Audio you're a member of the forum for a discount.