ELAC Carina Series Speakers by Andrew Jones at CES 2019

2»

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Clipdat wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Not that I am second guessing Andrew Jones

How dare you second guess Andrew Jones' designs!

I’ll second guess that man all day long after my experience with the Uni-Fi line of speakers >:)

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Haters

When you talk with Mr. Jones again, ask him if he remembers a guy ina wheelchair from AXPONA 2016 who had the UB5’s on pre-order and his room was the first room I stopped into for the day (they made a nice spot in the center for me). He started the audition and we were all blown away. After the audition I asked if I could take a pic with him. He said yes and while we were doing that he asked if I was going to cancel my preorder. I said no. I got the speakers and they flat out failed.

Now, if Mr. Jones wants to bring me a set of the UB5’s and he can get them to sound the way they sounded at AXPONA in my room, I’ll buy them back but he has to leave that exact pair, set up properly, with me.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    It's interesting that these apparently are going to sit at the same price point as the Adante. I wonder how they are going to position the two lines. I imagine they are going to sound fairly different, but it'll be interesting to hear comparisons as these come out into the wild.

Unless the Adante line is being discontinued fairly early.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    halo wrote: »
    Haters

When you talk with Mr. Jones again, ask him if he remembers a guy ina wheelchair from AXPONA 2016 who had the UB5’s on pre-order and his room was the first room I stopped into for the day (they made a nice spot in the center for me). He started the audition and we were all blown away. After the audition I asked if I could take a pic with him. He said yes and while we were doing that he asked if I was going to cancel my preorder. I said no. I got the speakers and they flat out failed.

Now, if Mr. Jones wants to bring me a set of the UB5’s and he can get them to sound the way they sounded at AXPONA in my room, I’ll buy them back but he has to leave that exact pair, set up properly, with me.

Ok. If I get the opportunity I will present that.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Haters

Yeah, this was after the delay that saved my butt - I had pre-ordered from Elac despite being called a drug lord or something by one of Elac's dealers here for trying to pay with PayPal (hence "Sketchy Craig", THANKS Russ! hehe) They announced the delay literally minutes after I ordered. I dropped the order to give them time to get their production act together. I wonder if that ever happened?

I will say that I've been tempted to order their slim white floorstander for a room with tight floor space. I'm just not quite ready to focus on that room.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    My reported speakers like the Dyns have required more room tuning than the Usher MD1's which were front ported that's why I was curious

Never noticed that you're Venre's were bottom ported..TY for the info

you had md2's you old man :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    marvda1 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    My reported speakers like the Dyns have required more room tuning than the Usher MD1's which were front ported that's why I was curious

Never noticed that you're Venre's were bottom ported..TY for the info

you had md2's you old man :D

LOL....1's, 2's...all semantics my brother
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    vcwatkins wrote: »

I will say that I've been tempted to order their slim white floorstander for a room with tight floor space. I'm just not quite ready to focus on that room.

Not to derail this thread, but if you still need something small I highly recommend the Monitor Audio Radius R270s. I have the R90s and they are great. :)
  • vcwatkins
    Thanks for the rec! Think I'm gonna build some more full-rangers (queue mhardy's maniacal laugh).
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    heh-heh-heh.
    Just stumbled on this "review" from CES @ Stereophile confirming the details of the speaker's "foot". Sorry about my previous density :/
    One of the most eagerly greeted high-end unveilings at CES was Elac's new Carina Series BS243.4 Jet bookshelf loudspeaker ($1199/pair), part of a line including the CC241.4 Jet Center Channel ($849) and FS249.4 Jet floorstander ($1199/each). The BS243.4 has a new aluminum bass driver whose compound curvature makes for a better blend with Elac's Jet tweeter, and an angled base of cast aluminum that allows for a down-firing bass-reflex port. (You can kinda sorta see the angle in the left-channel speaker shown in the photo.) Frequency range is 46Hz–30kHz, sensitivity 85dB/2.83v/1m, nominal impedance 6 ohms dipping to 4.8 ohm, and peak power handling 120W.

Alas, music playing on a larger system that Jones was running behind a room divider prevented me from being able to evaluate this model's sound.
    :*
    source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/ces-closer-closure
    [emphasis added]

Certainly would've been nice to have a report of how they sounded, but, alas, none is forthcoming from Stereophile.

ctq5ddgbtvjo.png

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560

Update: He had forgotten all about that situation, but when Joe reminded him, he still felt badly about it. He said he's going to make it up to you by shipping you a new pair of Adante towers, in Rosewood finish none the less. Congratulations Victor!

1118elac.promo_.jpg
  • displayname

Update: He had forgotten all about that situation, but when Joe reminded him, he still felt badly about it. He said he's going to make it up to you by shipping you a new pair of Adante towers, in Rosewood finish none the less. Congratulations Victor!

1118elac.promo_.jpg

Holy cow! That is one hell of a gesture.
    Discogs
  • halo

1118elac.promo_.jpg

It would be, indeed! Unfortunately, Drew is just being sarcastic with me ;)
  • halo
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Haters

Yeah, this was after the delay that saved my butt - I had pre-ordered from Elac despite being called a drug lord or something by one of Elac's dealers here for trying to pay with PayPal (hence "Sketchy Craig", THANKS Russ! hehe) They announced the delay literally minutes after I ordered. I dropped the order to give them time to get their production act together. I wonder if that ever happened?

I recall this event. It was in reference to your slush fund!
  • displayname

1118elac.promo_.jpg

It would be, indeed! Unfortunately, Drew is just being sarcastic with me ;)

Haha, well bummer. Companies do all kinds of big gestures for the PR. It had me going.
    Discogs
  • halo
    Haha, well bummer. Companies do all kinds of big gestures for the PR. It had me going.

You're not wrong, sometimes companies do go out of their way to maintain relationships with their customers. Makes sense too; without their customers, there'd be no company left.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Sumbudy say sumpin' 'bout drugs?
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2019
    Let's face it... the man is good. He knocked it out of the park at that show. The basic looking speakers mated with the clean looking music server, and Audio Alchemy gear won the weekend. This picture looks basic and does not convey what my ears and the ears of thousands of others heard that weekend.
    axpona-elac-audioalchemy-01664.jpg?resize=860%2C645&ssl=1

Several were impressed. Not an easy thing to do. Getting good sound at shows is not always easy. Still, the reviews over the years of the Elacs is about what you read about other speakers. Some love them some hate them.

I think I'm going this year. It will be fun to see what he has up his sleeve. I'm sure their new speakers will be on hand.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • halo
    WLDock wrote: »
    Let's face it... the man is good. He knocked it out of the park at that show. The basic looking speakers mated with the clean looking music server, and Audio Alchemy gear won the weekend. This picture looks basic and does not convey what my ears and the ears of thousands of others heard that weekend.
    axpona-elac-audioalchemy-01664.jpg?resize=860%2C645&ssl=1

Several were impressed. Not an easy thing to do. Getting good sound at shows is not always easy. Still, the reviews over the years of the Elacs is about what you read about other speakers. Some love them some hate them.

I think I'm going this year. It will be fun to see what he has up his sleeve. I'm sure their new speakers will be on hand.
    I hope that you enjoy the show this year!

I agree that those little UB5’s sounded GREAT at the show but they sounded like a hot stinky mess in my apartment. I tried them in the living room and the bedroom and they just did not deliver.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I had always wondered about the origin of "Sketchy Craig". Thanks for the refresher. And a side note, @vcwatkins Russ still refers to you as "Sketchy Craig" when discussing the forum in physical conversation. LOL
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ^I can also verify this :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • vcwatkins
    Cool. Really cool.

vkyy663uqgzw.jpg

hehe
  • daddyora
    daddyora Posts: 1
    These Carina speakers look nice and we're seeing a lot of ribbons show up in the sub-$2000 bookshelf speakers now. Seems that they intend to compete with the Ascend Audio Sierra 2 bookshelfs which have ruled the roost in this category for several yrs. Nice to see a new entry, will push the competition a bit and should benefit us all.
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A660 avr, ELAC debut 5.2 L/C/R, Polk RC60 surround in-walls, Polk RC60 ATMOS in-ceiling, Hsu sub in 5.1.2 system