ELAC Carina Series Speakers by Andrew Jones at CES 2019

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
New speakers by AJ & ELAC at CES 2019 featuring a AMT (JET) tweeter and downward firing bass port.

https://avsforum.com/elac-carina-series-jet-tweeter-speakers-andrew-jones-ces-2019/

https://youtu.be/WIR0z7byF9M
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    They seem to be doing very well (Elac) with the mid-fi reviewers. I am super happy with the Adante but am awaiting a phone call from either Chris or Andrew on Monday to discuss the QC issues I noted in the other thread.
    These look interesting for sure. Like a mini 705
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    downward firing port -- seems to limit placement options, no?
  • joecoulson
    Options
    No different than the 705/707’s, no?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    No different than the 705/707’s, no?

I don't know anything about those, sorry. If they're bottom-ported, I guess not. How do folks mount them? Bespoke stands?
  • joecoulson
    Options
    By the vid, looks like proprietary stands that have space at the back/bottom for the port. I’ll see if I can screenshot
  • halo
    Options
    @mhardy6647 - quite the opposite, bottom ported speakers are much easier to place in your listening environment.

@joecoulson - that’s part of the base of the speaker. See the black ELAC badge at the bottom of the front of the speaker? I’m pretty sure that’s connected to the flat base under the speaker between the bass port and the base of the speaker.

HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Presumably they need to sit on something with a hole in it.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    I'm glad Doc asked. That was my wonderment as well.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Not if I understand Victors details in regards to the base.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Not that I am second guessing Andrew Jones :| but that doesn't seem like very much clearance if that is indeed the base of the loudspeaker (and not part of the stand).

0oiibvv6o9rk.jpeg

• joecoulson
    Options
    Check the base on the 705/707’s
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Check the base on the 705/707’s

Yeah, OK, I see your point. For some reason, I wasn't thinking of floorstanders. I am on some meds this weekend (in my defense) :/
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Lol. Meds are bad mmmkay (in the voice of Mr Garrison)
  • halo
    Options
    Lol. Drugs are bad mmmkay (in the voice of Mr Garrison)

FIxed it for ya!

https://youtu.be/Uh7l8dx-h8M
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Bottom ported seem to not want a lot of space under the port...

My Venere S speakers have bottom plate and spikes designed to maximize the bottom port and there is not a lot of room under the speaker.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    From what I remember, it’s designed to interact with the floor/solid surface to produce the desired bass response.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Bottom ported seem to not want a lot of space under the port...

My Venere S speakers have bottom plate and spikes designed to maximize the bottom port and there is not a lot of room under the speaker.

What do you have them set on? Carpet, solid flooring, 1st or 2nd floor? Concrete or sub-floor?...sorry just curious. :)

Do think it make placement easier or more difficult especially vs rear ported
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Upstatemax
    edited January 2019
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    What do you have them set on? Carpet, solid flooring, 1st or 2nd floor? Concrete or sub-floor?...sorry just curious. :)

See my next post for flooring type.

Solid 3/4” hickory. First floor (basement underneath).
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Ha ha TY,
    (while I was typing)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Upstatemax
    Options
    I think placement is easier.

From what I've experienced I will probably never buy a rear ported speaker again.

I find it FAR easier to set up and place a bottom or front ported speaker. Less room interaction.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I agree and take a step further. Sealed speakers with sealed sub FTW
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    My reported speakers like the Dyns have required more room tuning than the Usher MD1's which were front ported that's why I was curious

Never noticed that you're Venre's were bottom ported..TY for the info

• Upstatemax
    Options
    Yeah, the Venere S moved to bottom port while the rest of the Venere line is front ported.

The Olympica line has a really cool "side" port.

you can set them up to fire into the center of the room, or at the side of the room.

I would love to try them in my home, I just don't want to pay for it!
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I agree and take a step further. Sealed speakers with sealed sub FTW

Hence another reason of questions. I've built/seen sealed speakers suck out on bass while on the 2nd floor. Were excellent on 1st floor concrete. These speakers were on stands and still suffered bass suck out.

• joecoulson
    Options
    These speakers meaning which ones?

I have a crawl space which I believe would be an in between of what you described. Having the bottom floor of the home but also having subfloor reverb.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    These speakers meaning which ones?

I have a crawl space which I believe would be an in between of what you described. Having the bottom floor of the home but also having subfloor reverb.

DIY

• joecoulson
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Not that I am second guessing Andrew Jones

How dare you second guess Andrew Jones' designs!