True story: How I brought up the idea of the subwoofer purchase to my wife

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
edited January 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
So, it was decided that after a year of planning and research that I would be buying a subwoofer sometime over the next few months.

I asked my wife for her approval.

She asked, “what are you looking at?”
Showed her the picture (see below). “The top one.”
“That looks expensive. How much?”
“It costs enough that it’s gonna hurt,” I replied.
“$20,000?” she asked.
“What?? No subwoofer costs $20,000,” I jumped.
“So how much?”
“$5-6 depending on the deal I get,” I answered.

“Good. I’m glad you didn’t say $50,” she concluded.

:|

I guess that means I got approval...??

h9c31zm8jwdl.png
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    There are definitely 20k subs but that one looks nice, congrats
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Beautiful.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I realize that the law of diminishing returns applies to all audio purchases, but can you say what improvement this will yield over say, TWO svs SB16-ultras? $3800 shipped for both? 45 return policy, I think I would at least try it and see...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Beautiful sub.

Btw, almost any WAF will go up if you show her this as an option you have ruled out:

3oq135baa1x6.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2019
    I guess this is why widows put really cheap prices on the stereo stuff us men leave behind. :D

Can we imagine getting that ReL sub for $5 at a yard sale many years from now?

You betcha. :p

I've read and heard Rel subs are truly great subs. Nice choice!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I woulda went for a pair of JL Gothams but that's just me...and it's also $32k...

Congrats on the new sub.
    Bear in mind though that JTR will work with Jim Salk to finish any of their subs in any of Jim's veneers.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I realize that the law of diminishing returns applies to all audio purchases, but can you say what improvement this will yield over say, TWO svs SB16-ultras? $3800 shipped for both? 45 return policy, I think I would at least try it and see...

The SVS does not have high level connections because they are first and foremost an HT oriented business and for HT their subs are at or near the top. I asked them why they didn't offer high level connections. I was told because there's no difference between sending the signal from the pre amp or amp. Wrong!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I love my REL S5. It does just what I need it to and no more. I have mine tuned to solidify the bottom end without interfering with the 1.2TL's in any way.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Pretty pi** poor negotiation skills.
    You had the opportunity to buy four, but settled on one. :p

Well.... cr4p....
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I woulda went for a pair of JL Gothams but that's just me...and it's also $32k...

Congrats on the new sub.
    Bear in mind though that JTR will work with Jim Salk to finish any of their subs in any of Jim's veneers.

I could get Gothams, used for v2 are about 8 each. The 2nd problem is lifting them. They are 370lb each.

No used Rel 25 thus far. Would like dealer support too if I’m dropping this coin.
  • Joey_V
    edited January 2019
    ^^^ lol

If only that were true
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I've been saving that for when you bought something again! It's from a few months back. Don't be hatin, I come in peace!
  • Joey_V
    edited January 2019
    I took a 18 mo break!

I’ll upload the reason why.
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I've been saving that for when you bought something again! It's from a few months back. Don't be hatin, I come in peace!

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I took a 18 mo break!

I’ll upload the reason why.
    Hermitism wrote: »

We dont need a picture of your HUGE SHORT COLLECTION @Joey_V
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Love the witness.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    That is so cool!!!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Well done Joey, I like a man who keeps his word and has self discipline! Enjoy your new sub!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • rooftop59
    Self-discipline?!? His four year old has to enforce the contract in writing!!! Ha! The very definition of heteronomy rather than autonomy - discipline by an outside force.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    He could have easily broken that agreement and bought something. The fact that he kept his word, and the agreement show that he values his FAMILY more than his autonomy.

Which is how it should be since he is married, and has far more important responsibilities than buying more audio gear!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    LOL! Priceless!
  • Joey_V
    It was pretty refreshing and cleansing not buying anything and just enjoying. I felt like I purged audiogon and dealers... took a step back and looked at the big picture.

One of the best things I did.

Instead, I took my speaker money and gave it all back to my kids.

Even though I have the green light to go back into the fold, I’m not even jumping at the bit to do so.

Cathy is right - I kept my word and I’m actually proud of that. My friends didn’t think I could last nor did my wife. So I took it as a challenge and I drew up the contract and signed it so it was on paper. I had my little girl Emma sign it not so I would be reminded why it was important to keep my word, but to teach her that self indulgence is not the goal of life.

At first I must say it was difficult as I was used to buying almost whatever I wanted. But over time it became easier.

Right now while I could use the Rel 25 subwoofers, I think I’ll sit on it a little bit and make sure it’s what I really want and that it’s worth the cash output.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2019
    With your disposable income this hobby can become more about equipment than music. Which would actually be great is these were classic collectible cars that appreciate in value. However, we know that's not the case.

At your level there's something about that Rel No. 25 that is calling your name. Maybe you see it as the "I've arrived" holy grail of bass in performance, aesthetics and stature. However, I'm sure performance can be had that matches or exceeds it for less money. Hell, one could probably buy a couple of internet direct subs and pay to have the company President set them up in home for less than one of the No. 25's.

Whatever route you take get back to the music! Don't forget the music! Listen at home and get out and listen to live music!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    I agree WLD

I think I have wanted one for so long.

I think... no I know the performance can be beat with F18 stack.

• Tony M
    edited January 2019
    It looks like you already own a ReL sub by your Avatar picture. Am I correct?
  • rooftop59
    Me thinks the gear in the avatar is LONG gone...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Tony M
    Those are end game speakers and sub for music to me.