no sound when I connected preamp and amp

pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,163
edited December 2018 in Electronics
I started another thread earlier today about connecting my Parasound HCA 1500A power amp and Parasound P/LD 1500 pre amp. I connected the amp and preamp about 2 hours ago and now the problem is no sound. I check the connections and all appear fine. The amp and preamp power up fine but no sound comes out of the speakers (speakers are fine and work with another recever I had connected; same for CD player). I had the power amp and preamp idle for some time. Could that have caused an issue? How do I tell if the issue is with the amp or with the preamp? Thanks.

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited December 2018
    does the amp and/or preamp have a switch to go between balanced and unbalanced?
    make sure it is set to unbalanced (rca).
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pglbook
    edited December 2018
    marvda1 wrote: »
    does the amp and/or preamp have a switch to go between balanced and unbalanced?
    make sure it is set to unbalanced (rca).

Thanks. I just checked and there is no switch on either amp or preamp to go betwwen balanced and unbalanced.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Couple things I can think of to check assuming the HCA-1500A runs through its power up correctly and the power light on the front turns green without any warning reds in the current overload lights.

The amp has two sets of RCA jacks on the back. The top is for inputs. The bottom is for loop out.

Also, there are what amount to volume controls for each channel on the back. Turn them all the way clockwise to the THX setting.

It's unlikely the amp has an issue from just sitting. I've had one for many years and it starts up just fine whenever I decide to put it into action.

• pglbook
    edited December 2018
    Thanks, emlyn. Good suggestions but I did connect the rca cables to the upper (non loop out) rca input jack on the back of the amp and both thx levels were turned all the way to the right in the full position. The amp also runs through its power up progression fine. Could it be the preamp? or a fuse?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    My guess is it's likely the preamp causing the problem.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Plug your phone into the amp via 3.5 to RCA...

Be sure to turn the volume on the phone all the way down first!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Is the mute turned on?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pglbook
    F1nut wrote: »
    Is the mute turned on?
    Thanks. I do not see any mute functions on either amp or preamp. Do they have one?

• F1nut

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    What input button do you have engaged? Is your source connected to that input?

President of Club Polk

• pglbook
    edited December 2018
    I have the amp connected to the preamp as such: amp’s upper rca input jack connected to the preamp’s fixed polarity (unbalanced) rca output jack. and i have a CD player connected to the preamp’s CD rca jack. and I had CD button of preamp engaged while trying to play a CD. But no sound. I also tried switching CD player to the Direct rca jack on back of preamp with the Direct button engaged on front of preamp. But same thing, no sound.
  • F1nut
    Ok, did you engage the CD button on the front of the pre amp?

President of Club Polk

• pglbook
    edited December 2018
    Ok, did you engage the CD button on the front of the pre amp?
    yes but no luck, no sound. I also tried switching CD player to the Direct rca jack on back of preamp with Direct button engaged on front of pre. But same thing, no sound.

• F1nut
    Try moving the rca cables to the Aux input after turning off all power. Then power up and engage the Aux button.

President of Club Polk

• pglbook
    Try moving the rca cables to the Aux input after turning off all power. Then power up and engage the Aux button.
    Thanks. You mean hook up the CD player to Aux? I don’t think I have tried that but will do so tomorrow (just on my way out). Thanks for all of the suggestions. I hope I can get these working soon.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2018
    Yes. Don't forget to push play on the CDP. ;)

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Do you have the speaker wires connected to the amp?
  • pglbook
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    Do you have the speaker wires connected to the amp?
    Speaker wires are connected to amp. I also switched CD player to AUX jack this morning but still no sound.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Have a volume control on the cdp ? Hook it straight up to the amp by the analog outputs. That way you'll see for sure if it's the pre giving you problems.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable