Scratchy sound from speaker

Listening to classical piano tonight adjusting the volume I heard a faint scratchy noise from my right speaker but only when adjusting the volume. What would be best approach for troubleshooting? Any ideas on what would cause this?
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Best Answers

• rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I just muted the Aries lightning app and rotated the knob back and forth. Will post the outcome of Parasound support.

Free or heavily discounted upgrade to the P6 would be sweet. ;)

Yeah it’s not that old I am sure they will direct me to a local service shop or I ship to them. I don’t see them exchanging.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

Answers

• FestYboy wrote: »
    Likely build up on the volume pot. Time to clean your knobs.

The pre is only about a year or so old. How would one go about cleaning the volume pot and why would only 1 be scratchy?
    Living Room

Office

• I’m going to spend some time with different tracks and hopefully it’s was the recording, likely wishful thinking. If not I will be contacting Parasound.
    Living Room

Office

• Ok definitely not isolated to the track. Will contact Parasound after Christmas.

Question, will the scratchy sound damage my speakers?
    Living Room

Office

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    It can, as it's severe distortion, so be mindful of your volume. As a temporary fix, I've had good luck removing the source from the integrated and rapidly sweeping the affected pot through it's full range several times with the unit powered on.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited December 2018
    FestYboy wrote: »
    It can, as it's severe distortion, so be mindful of your volume. As a temporary fix, I've had good luck removing the source from the integrated and rapidly sweeping the affected pot through it's full range several times with the unit powered on.

As long as your power amp is not turned on this should be fine to do. And if it's a typical scratchy pot, then the preamp power shouldn't have to be on either for this temporary fix to work.

Curious to hear how Parasound handles this.
  • FestYboy wrote: »

That seemed to help a little it’s very faint and only noticeable on certain types of music when adjusting the volume. Will contact Parasound support.
    Living Room

Office

• Clipdat wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »

As long as your power amp is not turned on this should be fine to do. And if it's a typical scratchy pot, then the preamp power shouldn't have to be on either for this temporary fix to work.

Curious to hear how Parasound handles this.

I just muted the Aries lightning app and rotated the knob back and forth. Will post the outcome of Parasound support.
    Living Room

Office

• Clipdat

Free or heavily discounted upgrade to the P6 would be sweet. ;)
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. Just wishful thinking.

Well to answer your question about support, I emailed support late last night and the President of Parasound responded first thing this morning with a personal email saying they would take care of it. I would say that’s first rate customer service.
    Living Room

Office

• Happy to report that Parasound support is outstanding. They received my P5 late last Wednesday, replaced the volume pot and it was delivered to me today. That’s fast. Very impressed with their customer service.
    Living Room

Office

• Clipdat
    Very nice. Glad you got your gear back safely and all fixed up!
  • DSkip wrote: »
    I told you they'd stand up and take care of you. Parasound is a first rate company.

You were right, have been thus far :)
    I’m officially a Fan boy
    Living Room

Office