Are the Rd 0194 really an improvement over the 2000s?

Are the rd 0194 great improvements over the 2000s?

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Yes. I just did my first 194 upgrade to my 11t. Smother and more pleasant to listen to. Also the imaging can be hauntingly accurate.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    pleznb wrote: »
    Are the rd 0194 great improvements over the 2000s?

Yes nuff said
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2018
    YES. :pB)

I've now heard the improvement twice.

At first it sounds as though the new ones are duller. But give them a couple of weeks and they'll be as bright as the older ones.

@CH46E mentioned the imaging just above here. When I heard the new tweeters I just installed last night, The sound around the tweeters was like a 3' to 4' circle of sound were before the old ones had a 1' to 2' circle of sound.

Jaw dropping improvement. ;)

Just give the new ones a chance to brighten up.
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    YES
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Yep. By far the easiest to do, of which there is a significant improvement. Unscrew the old tweeters, plug the new ones in, re-secure. Easy peasy.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Don't forget to glue washers on the back of the holes though.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Tony M wrote: »

????? I have never heard that before...
  • CH46E
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

????? I have never heard that before...

Its supposed to help with some vibration or something. I did not experience any issues with my 194s at all. I simply r&r them.
  • Tony M
    It's supposed to help with the prevention of cracking the corners when securing them I thought.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    I made gaskets out of toolbox drawer mat rubber foam material for mine... made for a nice seal.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It's supposed to help with the prevention of cracking the corners when securing them I thought.

This
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    No need to over tighten...
  • Tony M
    edited December 2018
    I hear ya. But at my age, I KNOW accidents can happen. ;):s

When you're over 60 and using a screw gun, I would like to have washers. I know how to use a screw gun's clutch too.

Also, I've read where some plates were flexing, making the tweeter vibrate at certain frequencies. (?)
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    The best way to appreciate how much better the 194s sound is to listen to them for about a week and then try to go back to the SL2000s. :)
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Tony M
    edited December 2018
    Maybe two weeks. Give the new ones a chance to break in better.

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Yes. Done the upgrade twice and would do it again if I bought another pair of vintage Polks. Upgrading the crossovers will make them sound even better.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Tony M
    edited December 2018
    A couple of my relatives are sporting those now but they ARE a little older than me and one a lot older than me.

But wearing those is a lot better than the alternative. ;)

I am at the age where sometimes I can't trust a frat anymore. :D
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited December 2018
    When you're over 60 and using a screw gun, I would like to have washers. I know how to use a screw gun's clutch too.

When using a screw gun, you shouldn't tighten all the way down with the gun for two reasons:

1. You could crack a tweeter's housing or punch through a driver's soft metal rim.

2. The tip of the bit could slip out of the screw and puncture a tweeter dome, driver cone, or driver surround.

I use a power screwdriver to screw almost all of the way down and then tighten snugly by hand.

When removing a screw, I make the first turn by hand and use power the rest of the way out.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Tony M

When using a screw gun, you shouldn't tighten all the way down with the gun for two reasons:

1. You could crack a tweeter's housing or punch through a driver's soft metal rim.

2. The tip of the bit could slip out of the screw and puncture a tweeter dome, driver cone, or driver surround.

I use a power screwdriver to screw almost all of the way down and then tighten snugly by hand.

When removing a screw, I make the first turn by hand and use power the rest of the way out.

NOTICE HIGHLIGHTED WORDS.^^^^^

Nowhere do you mention the use of a CLUTCH on a screw gun. Do you not know how they work?

I commented on re-installing tweeters with a large plastic plate. Plenty of space from the dome itself.

A person with no FEEL could easily snap a corner with just a screwdriver. A heavy handed person like my 6'2" 230 lb. older brother in his prime. He didn't have a light touch then and I doubt he has one now, even at 64. :D

I've been using a screw gun ( drill/driver ) and regular screwdrivers ( never a powered screwdriver, I feel they're for people who don't own the previous 2 ) for 50 years manual and 35 for a screw gun. I've set a million screws I'm sure. :)

With the clutch set to 1 or 2, there is 100% no way to do what you describe as long as ones other fingers are close to the end of the screw tip.

Working with a screw gun on construction sites or other projects is a whole different scenario.

Also working around speaker surrounds, there should be EXTRA, extra caution taken. Maybe just the use of a manual screwdriver like you stated to start and then finish with power cautiously for sure.

I guess you're preaching to those that have power screwdrivers or no experience with screw guns or drill/drivers and no knowledge of a screw guns clutch feature. or common sense to use the other hands fingers to secure where the tip of the screw gun's bit STAYS.

My DeWalt 14 volt screw gun/drill driver's clutch was set to 2 the other night.

I didn't use my 18 volt DeWalt model out of common sense but I still could've with MORE caution.

More unskilled or accident prone people should REALLY ONLY use a reg. screwdriver then when replacing these new tweeters. Maybe Polk would be like the other million Companies and put a warning sticker on these tweeters. I would be 100% OK with this label too.

No power drills above a power screwdriver should be used while installing. Damage to this product could occur.

But Doesn't a power screwdriver only have two speeds? Slow and fast?
    No safety clutch to keep from doing what you said could happen with a screw gun?

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    If you like the sound of fingernails on a chalk board, keep the SL2000s. If you like it silky-smooth from 2k to 20k, get the RD-0194-1s
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Tony M wrote: »

Nowhere do you mention the use of a CLUTCH on a screw gun. Do you not know how they work?

Yes, Tony, I know how screw guns, and a variety of other power tools work. Thank you for the additional clarifications on how you use yours. Most of it was very useful and informative.
    With the clutch set to 1 or 2, there is 100% no way to do what you describe as long as ones other fingers are close to the end of the screw tip.

Well, keep in mind that this is a general audience forum, and most readers do not have your decades of experience and expertise in setting screws, nor do most people feel comfortable putting their fingers close to an operating screw tip.
    I guess you're preaching to those that have power screwdrivers or no experience with screw guns or drill/drivers and no knowledge of a screw guns clutch feature. or common sense to use the other hands fingers to secure where the tip of the screw gun's bit STAYS.
    My understanding is that a lot of professionals' common sense lead them to use a drive guide rather than put their fingers in close proximity to a sharp, pointed, rotating object.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2095-Magnetic-Drive-Guide/dp/B00004RH24

Also, I wasn't preaching at all. Just trying to offer some friendly general advice. What seems like common sense, and trivial, to an experienced craftsman such as yourself might be easily overlooked, or not even thought of, by the casual user.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Tony M
    I have a drive guide in my drawer and I tried using it 20 years ago and it was weird to me so I just went back to being careful around sensitive situations.

Thanks for explaining a few things above. I appreciate them. ;)B)
  • I did the switch also. Yes much better besides the Black Hole-5 which made a dramatic difference the tweeters are the easiest mod to do. I gave away my silverdomes.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • CH46E
    I used to like the sl2000s just fine. Not until I put some 194s in did I notice how rough the sk2 is on the ears.
  • Tony M
    I have to bring up that my neighbor was over here listening to some Polks, maybe my old SRS2's, maybe some other model but I cranked the volume up on a BOSTON song I think it was and we heard distortion at a certain frequency. I said yea, these tweeters suck sometimes. He looked at the tweeters closely and said, hey Tony, this clear bubble eye is loose from the ring in this area. Sure enough, there were a couple that needed re-gluing. They passed the distortion test after the glue set.

But I have had SO MANY Polk speakers and my hearing being what it is, I still like the original SL2000's for what they do if they're not coming unglued. Played loud the SL2000 tweeters can resonate and I've heard it. The chalk board screech sound. But mostly, I haven't heard that with most of my collection now or old long gone ones. I have to say this that female singers voices bring out the fault of these old SL-2000s and I don't listen to female singers that much.

But these RDO-194s DO sound better. If someone can afford the new ones, we all agree a person should get them. It is an improvement. ;)

If a person likes what they're hearing from those older tweeters, fine. I lived with many pairs of older Polk speakers and didn't feel the need to spend more $ to improve what I was hearing from them.

But those Peerless tweeters in Polk speakers sound as fine as the RDO-194s to me too. I don't think they need replacing at all even after 45+ years I guess. :o:DB)
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    edited December 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    YES

Did F1 say YES yet ?? Answer ?...YES Unless a set of M7's SDA SRS2's and a set of SDA 2b's don't count...
  • It's funny, I have an issue with a defected Rd0 (already went into detail a year ago on another post) and recently decided to put my old 2000s back in. EW! Sucked the life right out of the music due to the overbearing top end. Resonant Rd0 or not I am not going back to the 2000s.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member