Rega Planar 2

So as some of you know I struggled with the old Pro-ject and lost. I am fickle in the fact I hate to have any part of my system down for the count so I went out last night and picked this guy up

3pq1b951tsik.jpeg

When I got it home, the first thing I did was swap out the Rega Carbon cartridge for my Nagaoka MP-110. I love this cart and have read how well it pairs with the English TT.

k7lzcdlizyot.jpeg

The sound this table puts out makes me wonder why I kept struggling with the PJ for all those years. Imaging and blackness have vastly improved. Not to mention I don’t have the famous Pro-ject rumble anymore. The motor is the new 24v one and it’s so quiet. The deck is the gloss black and looks fantastic

z264smfenk6x.jpeg

What was strange to me was that there is no ground wire. It threw me at first and I thought it had some cheap phono pre built in. But apart it’s part of the RCA connections. Not family with that but no issues. Dead silent.
The tonearm is really slick too. Much more simple that the latter and tech is as it should be for 15 years newer.

ye5vhbagzq95.jpeg

Very happy with this, it’s not a high end deck by any means, but it’s a damn sight better than the PJ. Plus the glass platter looks pretty awesome from the side.
Thanks for reading.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Cool! I got the P1 from @scubalab - still getting to know it better. So far so good! Have fun my man! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited December 2018
    Nice table! Once upon a time I had a Rega Planar 2 with RB200 arm.

dgtc4dfakr0s.jpg

Regarding TT grounds, they can be a separate wire or they use the Left channel ground or none at all. There were even ground straps from cartridge to headshell using Left channel ground.

nma85vrq78lo.png
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    It's a very nice looking table and it's well regarded against other tables in that price range (and beyond). You could do a lot worse.

I really love the MP-110 cart as well, glad you're enjoying it!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Thanks gentlemen.
  • joecoulson
    Just ordered this and a new clamp to go with the new deck..

594mvjwxemjq.png
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    Nice table, glad you are enjoying it. The upgrades will be nice! I really like Rega tables, stylish easy to set up and nice sound.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Love the simple elegance of Rega tables. If I ever got back in the vinyl game, the P3 would likely be my pick.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Congratulations. That is one beautiful piece of equipment.
  • joecoulson
    And when this arrives

wzw4o5m0y3lq.png

I’ll update with some beauty shots.
  • joecoulson
    edited December 2018
  • SCompRacer
    Nice upgrade!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    edited December 2018
    Looks great! How do you like the cork mat?

I went with the Way Excellent II turntable mat from Herbie’s Audio lab at the suggestion of @SCompRacer and @ALL212 and I really like it.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    Not sure it’s stops all static. What’s the link for that mat and do you like it? Pic?
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    Google...………….Way Excellent II.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • joecoulson
    Didn’t ask you....

J/k
  • Looks interesting, I checked it out.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    There is a used Rega 2 on Ebay with an optional RB250 tonearm. Would any of you Rega owners know if it makes a discernable difference.

• joecoulson
    @halo did you have other mats before that one?
  • joecoulson
    DSkip wrote: »
    Anyone looking at Rega should also look at JWM turntables. They're Rega with a custom plinth.

Beautiful looking tables Skip
  • halo
    joecoulson wrote: »
    @halo did you have other mats before that one?

I had a leather deer hyde mat before that. It was supposed to reduce static buildup but I didn’t notice any difference between it and the rubber mat that came with the table.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Leather-Deer-Hide-Turntable/dp/B00JDWHDSS/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544323205&sr=8-21-spons&keywords=turntable+mat&psc=1
  • joecoulson
    And the Way Excellent Mat II helped?
    I know the cork does better than any other felt may I have had.
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2018
    If your tone arm doesn't have adjustable VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle) you have to watch the thickness of mats you add to a turntable that didn't come with a mat.

A thick mat will lift cartridge end of arm. If arm cannot raise arm at pivot end, you can run into issues with SRA or Stylus Rake Angle.

In other words, SQ or sound quality can suffer if stylus is not at the correct angle in the groove.

Here is a diagram that exaggerates but shows what I mean.

io5jnpf5254j.png
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2018
    To reduce static tics, you could look at a dust bug or grounding type dust bug. My old dust bug doesn't have a grounding strap. You would moisten (do not saturate) the bug with distilled water or that Discwasher cleaner.

This is one I have and still use sometimes.

qyl9vu30kyht.jpg

xyfaqnynxtdq.jpg

• joecoulson
    Wow what a great principal for dealing with static. Works well?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I like how newer TT's look like works of ART.

Your Rega looks great! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    Thank You Tony. I’m a mess as of late. Just ordered a Vincent phono Pre so she should be purring even better pretty soon.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited December 2018
    Thank You Tony. I’m a mess as of late. Just ordered a Vincent phono Pre so she should be purring even better pretty soon.

What Vincent did you get? I’ve been eyeing the PHO 700 or 701.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    To reduce static tics, you could look at a dust bug or grounding type dust bug. My old dust bug doesn't have a grounding strap. You would moisten (do not saturate) the bug with distilled water or that Discwasher cleaner.

This is one I have and still use sometimes.

qyl9vu30kyht.jpg

xyfaqnynxtdq.jpg

Looks like I have to go to eBay for a Watts dust bug. There's another version made by Rek O Kut available at Needle Dr. Which is the one you have in the photo Rich?

Watts:
    s-l1600.jpg

Rek O Kut:
    Rek-O-Kut-Dust-Bug-Brush-Kit_Main-1.jpg
  • joecoulson
    verb wrote: »

What Vincent did you get? I’ve been eyeing the PHO 700 or 701.

The 701. I’ll be going from a Cambridge Audio Solo to it and I have read specific reviews making that exact change with huge improvements so I’m very excited. $499 at AA.
  • SCompRacer
    Mine is the Watts. It does impose a drag but not significant. If you have a speed control turntable it will compensate.