4K HDR and Dolby Vision

2»

Comments

• mantis wrote: »
    Processing is completely different. Sony has a much better processor in the X1 Extreme chip last years model and the new Ultimate Chip in this years model.

In the store, comparing current model Sony and LG 65" OLEDs, the LG had more depth and three-dimensionality that was more similar to my Kuro plasma display. The LG also had better color rendition, but I don't know if that was due to individual settings on the two sets. I didn't notice any difference in detail. Reviews I've read indicate that Sony's processing renders a better picture on lower resolution sources like cable and Internet video. However, I watch very little television and Internet video on my home theater display.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mantis wrote: »
    Processing is completely different. Sony has a much better processor in the X1 Extreme chip last years model and the new Ultimate Chip in this years model.

In the store, comparing current model Sony and LG 65" OLEDs, the LG had more depth and three-dimensionality that was more similar to my Kuro plasma display. The LG also had better color rendition, but I don't know if that was due to individual settings on the two sets. I didn't notice any difference in detail. Reviews I've read indicate that Sony's processing renders a better picture on lower resolution sources like cable and Internet video. However, I watch very little television and Internet video on my home theater display.

@DarqueKnight What was on the displays? Was it a signal that was split amongst an entire wall of TVs? More information please?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    When you go to look at TV's in the store, wanting to compare, you have to remember none of them are calibrated. TV manufacturers took that duty away from the snot nosed kids by putting a display mode on TV sets.

That display mode, accentuates colors to make them pop, catch your eye. Some will use this display mode, some will just plug it in out of the box without any fine tuning, not using the display mode and just the factory settings.

This could account for some differences you see, but it's not always accurate.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited November 2018
    @DarqueKnight What was on the displays? Was it a signal that was split amongst an entire wall of TVs? More information please?

Well, I didn't want to bore people with details of my TV shopping experiences...but since you asked, here we go.

The video content was an LG 4K demo disc, Sony 4K demo disc, selected scenes from my Spider-Man (1, 2, & 3) Limited Edition Collection disc set, which includes both the of 2K and 4K versions off each movie, and 2K movie content from the store's video server. One of the nice things about Magnolia is that you can bring your own media in to demo audio and video gear. The local Magnolia also has many popular 2K and 4K Blu-ray movies stored in a Kaleidescape video server.

tmsoud6arcbh.jpg
    Figure 1. One of my reference 2K/4K movie sets, the Spider-Man trilogy. The 2K Blu-rays were derived from 4K masters.

The picture below, taken near the end of October 2018, shows the LG OLED setup. The three TVs on the left are LG OLEDs which were fed by a 4K player playing a demo disc. The two TVs on the right were LG LED TVs being fed by a different 4K player. The 65" LG OLED65C8PUA is in the center, and the player feeding it and the other two OLEDs is the little black box under the shelf. To the left of the LG OLED displays was a small setup of Samsung QLED TVs.

doa962yabrbo.jpg
    Figure 2. LG OLED TVs are providing a good upgrade path for Kuro Kultists.

The Sony XBR65A9F was in a different area of the store and was set up by itself running a 4K demo disc.

I asked the salesperson about what adjustments they make to the TVs before putting them on display and he said they take them out of the box, test to make sure the set is functioning properly, and put them on the wall. He said they want the purchaser to see the same thing at home as what they saw in the store and it also makes for a fairer assessment when looking at the sets in the store.

Most recently, I revisited the store after the television displays had been set up for the commercial holiday season. Two new sets were available: the 77" LG OLED and the 75" Sony A9F LED. The sets viewed during my latest visit were the:

Sony XBR65A9F 65" OLED TV,
    Sony XBR75Z9F 75" LED TV,

LG OLED77C8PUA 77" OLED TV,
    LG OLED65C8PUA 65" OLED TV.

To my delight, the Sony XBR65A9F OLED and LG OLED65C8PUA OLED were set up side by side AND the Sony XBR75Z9F and LG OLED77C8PUA were set up side by side.

Bear in mind that store lighting is not the best environment for evaluating TVs AND these reduced resolution cell phone pictures do not accurately display the differences in color rendition, depth, and detail seen by my eyes.

x6reufjwsr9w.jpg
    Figure 3. Assorted OLED and LED TVs. The first three columns are OLEDs. The last column is LEDs. The LG OLED65C8PUA is (obscured) at the bottom left and the Sony XBR65A9F is to the right of it. Notice the washed out colors of the LED sets at the right when viewed from an angle.

pg9bbrf7bzjk.jpg
    Figure 4. Bottom row: LG OLED65C8PUA at bottom left and Sony XBR65A9F to the right of it. Scene is from my "Spider-Man 3" UHD disc played from an Oppo UDP-203 Blu-ray player. On the LG OLED set, the "canyon" between the buildings had a "deeper" appearance and the grains of sand had a more natural, brownish tan color.

4lzdfg7fgcgq.jpg
    Figure 5. Depth evaluation: Paused scene on Sony XBR65A9F from "The Amazing Spider-Man 2". The white spires behind Spider-Man appeared flat (no appearance of depth) and off-white. This movie was played from the store's Kaleidescape video server.

6q3efe0hbm4q.jpg
    Figure 6. Depth evaluation: Paused scene on LG OLED65C8PUA from "The Amazing Spider-Man 2". The white spires behind Spider-Man appeared to be "floating at a distance" and the whites were whiter compared to the Sony A9F

jkit7jwqe3lw.jpg
    Figure 7. Side by side at bottom: LG OLED77C8PUA, at left, and Sony XBR75Z9F LED. I was told the brands and model numbers of the tragic-looking sets on the top row, but I immediately forgot them.

81p9n7uirk25.jpg
    Figure 8. LG OLED77C8PUA. Columbia title sequence is from my "Spider-Man 3" UHD disc played from an Oppo UDP-203 Blu-ray player. The clouds appeared to be "floating at a distance" behind the woman and the whites were whiter.

bnfpjp3gnql9.jpg
    Figure 9. Sony XBR75Z9F. An overall "flatter" and "duller" picture than the LG 77" OLED.

le5lelc8xcbp.jpg
    Figure 10. Side by side: LG OLED77C8PUA and Sony XBR75Z9F LED. Viewed from an angle, the Sony's colors "washed out" and the blacks became grayish. I am beginning to wonder if, similar to turntables, LED TVs are devices of torment sent from the Devil. Scene is from my "Spider-Man 3" UHD disc played from an Oppo UDP-203 Blu-ray player.

ejyst26h8pdn.jpg
    Figure 11. LG OLED77C8PUA. Scene is from my "Spider-Man 3" UHD disc played from an Oppo UDP-203 Blu-ray player.

iu4reruwqsnf.jpg
    Figure 12. Sony XBR75Z9F LED. Scene is from my "Spider-Man 3" UHD disc played from an Oppo UDP-203 Blu-ray player.

wdj4f3gybc5j.jpg
    Figure 13. LG OLED77C8PUA - whiter whites. The white lettering is brighter and whiter compared to the Sony XBR65A9F OLED set shown in figure 14.

qafxv9vw7znn.jpg
    Figure 14. Sony XBR65A9F - not as bright and white.

Other Thoughts

Some professional calibrators who used the Kuro plasmas as their reference and personal viewing sets, and some hard core Kuro Kultists, have adopted the LG 2017 (C7) and 2018 (C8) model OLEDs as worthy replacements for their beloved Kuros. Some put their Kuros up for sale and most seem to be keeping them for secondary duty.

The street price of the 77" LG OLED77C8PUA is actually lower (adjusted for inflation) than what I paid for the Kuro Elite PRO-151FD nine years ago. However, even though the 77C8 is "better" in several respects compared to the Kuro, it does not generate the level of excitement that the Kuro did. When I saw the Kuros, I wanted one immediately. I have a "that's nice, let's wait and see how much the prices drop and see what else comes around the corner" mindset toward the current crop of OLEDs.

In the future, when I am more dedicated to video than I am now, I probably will replace all of my plasma and LED TVs with OLEDs. I'm not in a hurry though.

Post edited by DarqueKnight on
  • As usual a professional level review (although my one caveat is that in a few of the pics I saw the opposite of what DK was saying-could be the camera)
    When I grow up I wanna be like @DarqueKnight ! B)o:)
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2018
    When I grow up I wanna be like @DarqueKnight ! B)o:)

Put it off as long as you can. Growing up is grossly overrated.

mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Similar to the premium that Sony charges for its name badge and other things, the premium that LG charges for its largest OLED set is difficult to justify.

I'm sure it's not just a premium for the sake of a premium. There's additional handling expense, manufacturing issues, as well as supply and demand.

https://hometheaterreview.com/why-do-the-really-big-screen-tvs-cost-so-much-more/

You are correct.

After further research, I understand why LG is charging way more for screens over 65 inches. They are not charging more just because they can. This article does a much better job of explaining the pricing model:

http://www.appliedmaterials.com/nanochip/nanochip-fab-solutions/july-2018/new-generation-10-fabs-enable-bigger-brighter-better-tv-displays

In summary:

1. Current generation (Gen 8.5) OLED factories manufacture screens from a glass sheet (substrate) measuring 2.5m x 2.2m (8521 sq. in.).

2. From a 8521 sq. in. glass sheet:

A. Six 55" screens (1343 sq. in. each) can be made with only 5% material waste.
    B. Three 65" screens (1864 sq. in. each) can be made with 34% material waste.
    C. Two 77" screens (2644 sq. in. each) can be made with 38% material waste.

With the 65" size, LG can only make 1/2 as many TVs compared to the 55" size.
    With the 77" size, LG can only make 1/3 as many TVs compared to the 55" size.

Proportionally fewer TVs per sheet of glass substrate, along with lower demand for 70"+ screens requires proportionately higher prices.

We won't see prices for the "super sized" screens come down until factories designed to produce them efficiently, with a minimum of time and material waste, come on line in the next two years.
  • That makes me glad my tiny little living room really on has enough room for a 50" or 55".
    As much as I love the LG OLED's, I have to admit I think the Sony's look better to my eye though. ;)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    I wonder if "out of the box" still means vivid mode and contrast and brightness cranked to the max from the factory?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I wonder if "out of the box" still means vivid mode and contrast and brightness cranked to the max from the factory?
    Fact is, you can't just start using any smart TV these days right "out of the box." There's always a setup menu that forces at least a few choices, and the first choice is almost always something like Home or Store mode. I wouldn't trust that they put them on display in Home mode. The manufactures instruct retailers to use Store mode. The way to verify would be to grab a remote and check the settings.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324

Vivid mode or demo mode. A few years back that was the case. I don’t know what it is now. Or you walked in the store and someone had already jacked with the settings. Those settings are nowhere close to the potential of the TV’s. I felt unless I dialed in every TV I was looking at, that it wasn’t really a good comparison. My Brother, 2 years back, bought the latest and greatest LG OLED. He just choose one of the standard settings without calibrating it and I thought it was terrible. The motion flow almost made me sick.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • mdaudioguy
    Similar to the premium that Sony charges for its name badge and other things, the premium that LG charges for its largest OLED set is difficult to justify.

I'm sure it's not just a premium for the sake of a premium. There's additional handling expense, manufacturing issues, as well as supply and demand.

https://hometheaterreview.com/why-do-the-really-big-screen-tvs-cost-so-much-more/
    After further research, I understand why LG is charging way more for screens over 65 inches. They are not charging more just because they can. This article does a much better job of explaining the pricing model:
    Yes, an article about production yield was actually what I was hoping to find, but my quick search didn't find one with those details. That article explains it much better.

Btw, if I were a rich man, I'd like to get one of the wallpaper models, like the OLED77W7P!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Fact is, you can't just start using any smart TV these days right "out of the box." There's always a setup menu that forces at least a few choices, and the first choice is almost always something like Home or Store mode. I wouldn't trust that they put them on display in Home mode. The manufactures instruct retailers to use Store mode. The way to verify would be to grab a remote and check the settings.

That would be my guess as well. Once calibrated, the sets you see on display won't look like that in your home.

They used to do the same thing with the plasma displays. Set them up on torch mode, as we liked to call it, so everything popped and the difference between plasma and LCD were more noticeable.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Recently purchased the 900F. Think it was in vivid, and changed it to custom pro. That is the only change I’ve made so far, and it’s a pretty good picture. Figured I would get a few hours on it before making additional changes.

That vivid mode is pretty bright.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    The 900F is a great TV. I can't think of a better Tv for the money. I'm even more impressed with the motion abilities of this set. I might put one in my bedroom.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Been thinking about the 900F as well. Seems like a great value.

Alright @rpf65 its been a few hours, any updates? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mantis
    I gotta agree with DarqueKnight in the fact when the Pioneer Kuro's where out and I saw them, I got instantly the feeling I need to have one of these and then Got one at the end of their life.
    The OLED's and the LED's in 4k as much as I think they produce an amazing picture they do not hit that spot inside that screams out " I gotta have that". I purely go the Sony Z9D to learn and experience 4k in my own home. I was completely satisfied with my Kuro.
    Dan
  • mantis
    verb wrote: »

If your in the market for a new Tv and don't want to break the bank, the 900F is the perfect set. It's damn near reference quality. I would use one as my main tv no problem at all.

Dan
  • verb
    mantis wrote: »
    verb wrote: »

If your in the market for a new Tv and don't want to break the bank, the 900F is the perfect set. It's damn near reference quality. I would use one as my main tv no problem at all.

Thanks @mantis as I've been following this thread. The Mrs already said I could get (which means she will allow me to pay for it) a new TV this year! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mantis
    Awesome man, let me know how you like once you get it home and setup.
    Dan
  • verb
    mantis wrote: »
    Awesome man, let me know how you like once you get it home and setup.

A couple of years ago we went to a local small appliance store after Thanksgiving dinner and picked up a 65" Sony (750 series I believe), the tradition continues! :smile:
  • mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Btw, if I were a rich man, I'd like to get one of the wallpaper models, like the OLED77W7P!

Same here. I much prefer the aesthetics of LG's wallpaper OLEDs to the stand mount TVs. I prefer wall mounted flat screens in general. A wall mounted TV in my home theater is impractical because I do a fair amount of cable swapping and need to have easy access to the rear of the set.

Having all of the cable connections in the wallpaper TV moved to its soundbar would allow me to have the wall mount look and easy access to cable connections. Ain't willing to pay far north of $10K for it that aesthetic accommodation and convenience though.

• My video life has been much better since my LG 55" OLED TV (model OLED55E8PUA) recently came to live with me. It replaced an 11 year old Samsung 42" HP-S4273 plasma TV. The manufacturer packaging was great. Wall mounting was a breeze since the LG weighs less than half that of the plasma (35.9 lbs. vs. 75 lbs.).

I initially was going to get an LG OLED55C8PUA ($2500). I decided on the upgrade model OLED55E8PUA ($3300) due to its significantly better speakers and sound quality, higher construction quality, and sleeker styling.

kw2vzl076wpl.jpg
    Figure 1. My journey to 4K capability is almost complete.

l0vm2o7eywow.jpg
    Figure 2. Function testing after arrival.

7s04ad19fxlg.jpg
    Figure 3. I have been watching 2001: A Space Odyssey for decades. Watching it in 4K was like seeing it for the first time.

7xv5qlyeccsd.jpg
    Figure 4. The Equalizer 2 was shot in 2.8K and upscaled to 4K for the UHD version. The picture is stunning compared to the 2K Blu-ray.

k12hniq52yk3.jpg
    Figure 5. Scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey UHD. Photo of TV screen. I was impressed with the color saturation, detail, and depth of the 4K images derived from this 50 year old movie.

wawipvd8r72q.jpg
    Figure 6. Scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey UHD. Photo of TV screen.

87gssh2vyjrd.jpg
    Figure 7. Scene from The Equalizer 2 UHD. Photo of TV screen.

I don't know anyone with a 4K TV. My 4K viewing for the past few years has been limited to stores. The 2018 model LG OLED 4K TVs are the first 4K sets that impressed me enough to want one.

I was quite unprepared for the visual treat that awaited me at home. Recent generation UHD movies were more like watching a live action play than watching a movie.
  • mdaudioguy
    I initially was going to get an LG OLED55C8PUA ($2500). I decided on the upgrade model OLED55E8PUA ($3300) due to its significantly better speakers and sound quality, higher construction quality, and sleeker styling.
    Congrats to you! I chose the C8 specifically because I never use the internal speakers, and I wanted the sleeker look of a panel that's all picture. The glass is nice looking, however. I wish you could get it without the "sound bar." I don't use any of the built-in smart features, since I rely on a Roku Premiere for streaming, including any 4k content.

I'm curious about what picture settings you've tried. I've only made two adjustments out of the box - I switched to ISF Expert (Dark Room) and turned Energy Saving off, per the recommendations at rtings.com.
  • I don't use any of the smart features either.

The picture quality was spectacular out of the box. The only adjustment I've made so far is turning off Energy Saving. I'm still gathering information about picture tweaking.
  • DarqueKnight
    The plasma era is over at my house. The Samsung 42" HP-S4273 plasma in my home office has already been replaced with a 55" LG OLED55E8PUA. The Samsung 42" HP-S4273 plasma in my master bedroom will be replaced with a 55" LG OLED55E8PUA.

I wanted to go bigger and replace the 60" Kuro plasma in my home theater with a 77" LG OLED77C8PUA, but I decided to go with a 65" LG OLED65E8PUA. I made this decision based on cost, aesthetics, sound quality, and build quality.

I can buy a 65" E8 OLED and two 55" E8 OLEDs for about the same price as one 77" C8 OLED. The E8 series has much better build quality and much better sound than the C8 series. Better sound is important in my home office and master bedroom because those TVs will not be connected to an external speaker system. TV sound quality is not as important in my home theater, since movie sound comes from the surround sound speaker system. However, I occasionally watch TV programs using the TV's speakers. LG does not make a 77" E8 TV.

The prices of 70+ inch OLED TVs should reduce dramatically after the new Gen10 manufacturing plants come online in 2020. The Gen10 plants are designed for efficient manufacturing of larger OLED screens.

dxluhv3c62c3.jpg
    Using my imagination: The three tape borders on the wall behind the 55" OLED TV
    are the screen sizes of a 60" Kuro plasma, 65" LG OLED, and 77" LG OLED. When watching a movie, the tape borders give me an idea of how much screen area I am giving up by choosing the 65" TV over the 77" TV. I will revisit the acquisition of a 77" TV when the prices fall in 2020.