Test center speaker?

Options
HowellDon
HowellDon Posts: 4
edited December 2004 in Troubleshooting
I have an RM6600 system with an RM2600 center speaker. My receiver is a Onkyo TX-SR702. The speakers seem to work fine in stereo mode but not in Dolby digital. The volume is weak and tinny. I suspect the center speaker since I have tested the satellites and the PSW350 sub and they sound reasonable. Any suggestions.
Post edited by HowellDon on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Pull one of the rear sat's, drop it in as center, how's it sound?

Got everything calibrated and configured?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2004
    Options
    try hooking up the center speaker to the left or right speaker wire, same results = bad center speaker
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • HowellDon
    edited December 2004
    Options
    OK, Now you have me confused. The center speaker is actually a multichannel box with three speakers. The Sat's are not interchangable with the center are they? At least when I move my Sat plugs to the center output the sound is terrible from which ever Sat I use in the center output. But they perform correctly when used in the front or back positions.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2004
    Options
    center out put going out possibly.. try hooking up the center speaker to a different speaker output as suggested above to see if the center speaker still sounds funny if it does bad speaker if it doesnt could be bad center speaker out
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • HowellDon
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I have switched various speakers around to various outputs but the tests have been inconclusive. I replaced the original Onkyo TX-DS 787 receiver with the new SR 702 thinking it was an output problem but the Dolby problem was still there. Now I have two expensive receivers.

I checked the continuity on the three speakers in the center housing and one of the (2)Bass-mid range speakers has an open circuit and one is ok. I figure the Tweeter was all that was working causing the weak tinny sound. So I am sure the center speaker is part of the problem.

Any suggestions on which Polk Center speaker will match my RM2300 Satellites? I Think the RM2700 system with the RM2650 center will but I can't find it individually? Or where can I get parts for the RM2600 like the one 3.25" Bass mid Drive?

Actually, it appears the warrenty is good for another year so I will check on that first.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    edited December 2004
    Options
    is your centre wired properly pos to pos and neg to neg
  • HowellDon
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Yes!
    There is an open circuit in the center speaker with one of the 3.25" speakers and they are in a series so the 1.75" tweeter is all that is working.