RD-0194 rattles

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I had some spare tinker time and applied the thick butyl mat to the backside of the RD0194's. By ear only, It has indeed cleared up most of the resonating in certain frequencies....

waw314z7zeoq.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Good idea! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    One of the 194's in my garage 7C's develops some fuzzy distortion when the temp gets below around 45F. Strange, but true. The distortion was present in the spring, went away with warmer temps, and is now back, now that temps have gone below 45F.

I installed the 194's several year ago, so not sure if the the distortion is related to the resonance issue discussed in this thread, perhaps brought-on by the lower air temp.

Regardless, I'm considering buying a new 194 from Polk CS.

Should I assume that the washer mod is still necessary for the current 194's?
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • Tony M
    Are the screws still tight?
  • adam2434
    I will check, but I expect them to be. I checked that in the spring when the distortion was present, and also checked tightness a couple times over the summer.

Seems like maybe a voice coil issue that develops at cooler temps, but only on one tweeter. The other one is fine at cooler temps.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
  • Tony M
    OK.

I've read a few others have had that issue with the newer ones.

@Darknight did a STUDY on the differences of all tweeters for this Forum.
    Old and new versions were measured every which way and it was very comprehensive and thorough. Check it out using the search box.

Also, some resolved the noise issue with their noisy "new" tweeters.

Good luck.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I have been having an issue with one of my RD0-194's in my SDA 1C's. At a certain frequency I get distortion, a sort of cracking static. It happens during specific piano notes and sometimes on female vocals at a certain frequency. Otherwise is plays fine. I don't think it's blown because it does it a very specific frequency.

I heard it again listening to Regina Spektor yesterday, when she hits a certain piano note. I thought perhaps it was on the recording, but I've heard it with other recordings.

Maybe dynamatting the rear will help? These are old RD0's, probably 10 years or more. These were modded about 10-12 years ago with new caps and RD0's by the previous owner.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Before this became an obvious issue I also had some noise from my brand new RDO-194s. I can't remember if they wanted the noisy ones back but Polk did in fact send me a new set of 194s. I will try to show a bill for 2 new 194s which is at least 1 year after I got the originals. Not knowing of the possible bezel problem they said it Might be a x-over problem which I doubted because they were upgraded. Seems like a very easy fix #10 stainless washers, a bit of silicone ,gasket dry then apply.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Tony M
    Nothing more nerve racking than hearing that irritating DISTORTION sound.

I'm very allergic to distortion.
    This is me when I hear it;
    ikru8pe6ypj7.png
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Before this became an obvious issue I also had some noise from my brand new RDO-194s. I can't remember if they wanted the noisy ones back but Polk did in fact send me a new set of 194s. I will try to show a bill for 2 new 194s which is at least 1 year after I got the originals. Not knowing of the possible bezel problem they said it Might be a x-over problem which I doubted because they were upgraded. Seems like a very easy fix #10 stainless washers, a bit of silicone ,gasket dry then apply.

A little super glue works, do not know that I'd use silicone. As long as it is dried outside of the box maybe no problems. I think @verb used super glue to hole them in place to mount.

• Ivan, I was thinking about how all here is anti silicone because it gives off gases. In those tiny amounts that high up I can't see to much of a problem but I do have super glue so I will use it so I don't go against the grain.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • I got a batch of RD0s that had the buzzing on piano freqencies as well. Polk sent me new ones and they did the same but I REALLY didn't want to bother them for another replacement set. I had one that buzzed less so I used that with a newly ordered Rd0. Yeah it seems the one that buzzed less is hotter than the new one and it causes imaging issues. Just went back to the 2000s for now until I have more money for another tweeter.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2018
    Ivan, I was thinking about how all here is anti silicone because it gives off gases. In those tiny amounts that high up I can't see to much of a problem but I do have super glue so I will use it so I don't go against the grain.

it's just messy Lew and super dries super fast.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    I got a batch of RD0s that had the buzzing on piano freqencies as well. Polk sent me new ones and they did the same but I REALLY didn't want to bother them for another replacement set. I had one that buzzed less so I used that with a newly ordered Rd0. Yeah it seems the one that buzzed less is hotter than the new one and it causes imaging issues. Just went back to the 2000s for now until I have more money for another tweeter.

I still have one that buzzes / resonates. As I have spoken with Polk and they sent two new ones and one of them still does it I decided the same. I will just wait and buy RD 0198's and see what happens then. I think that will cure it up.
  • VSAT88 wrote: »
    I got a batch of RD0s that had the buzzing on piano freqencies as well. Polk sent me new ones and they did the same but I REALLY didn't want to bother them for another replacement set. I had one that buzzed less so I used that with a newly ordered Rd0. Yeah it seems the one that buzzed less is hotter than the new one and it causes imaging issues. Just went back to the 2000s for now until I have more money for another tweeter.

I still have one that buzzes / resonates. As I have spoken with Polk and they sent two new ones and one of them still does it I decided the same. I will just wait and buy RD 0198's and see what happens then. I think that will cure it up.

Yeah I haven't heard of any issues with the 198s.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • I had a bad experience with the 194's...I purchased 8 of them for my SRS SDA's, and had problems with fitment, and buzzing. I ended up going back to the 2000's.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    adam2434 wrote: »
    One of the 194's in my garage 7C's develops some fuzzy distortion when the temp gets below around 45F. Strange, but true. The distortion was present in the spring, went away with warmer temps, and is now back, now that temps have gone below 45F.

I installed the 194's several year ago, so not sure if the the distortion is related to the resonance issue discussed in this thread, perhaps brought-on by the lower air temp.

Regardless, I'm considering buying a new 194 from Polk CS.

Should I assume that the washer mod is still necessary for the current 194's?

Yep. I just got a set of 10 recently. Washers definitely needed!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I used shoe goo to secure my washers and window seal from Home Depot to dampen the bezels on mine when I restored my 1C's . They sound awesome at high SPL's. See pg 2 of my discussion
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179695/new-1c-purchase-questions/p2

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • adam2434
    verb wrote: »
    Yep. I just got a set of 10 recently. Washers definitely needed!

Thanks, good to know.

Ordered a 194 from Kim in CS yesterday.

Also enjoyed a little tech talk and Polk history with Kim.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Wonder if someone could upload some pictures of the 0198 so we could scope out the difference between those and the 0194...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    They look identical other than the faston tabs.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Other than the RD0198 photo has better lighting, identical.

cdbdzrberpwa.jpg

i7w85ajzm3uv.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Don't 198s have two different size terminal connections on the back? My 3000s did at least.

• pitdogg2
    edited November 2018
    Don't 198s have two different size terminal connections on the back? My 3000s did at least.
    same with the Rd-0198
    F1nut wrote: »
    They look identical other than the faston tabs.

Jesse also stated the same

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Can anyone tell me if the 194s will be phase correct for the RTA12B that originally had the Peerless 5514s in them? I've been wanting to try some 194s in them and now I have a pair on the way.
  • I think they have different crossover designs with the two tweeters...

• pitdogg2
    CH46E wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the 194s will be phase correct for the RTA12B that originally had the Peerless 5514s in them? I've been wanting to try some 194s in them and now I have a pair on the way.

Check the schematic against yours and the 12B SL2000 you will have your answer.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/4/6/7/2/8/18712.pdf

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/4/6/7/2/8/18713.pdf

Looks like the only difference was the polyswitch and I see no RTA12C that typifies the SL2000. None of the schematics state tweeter I can see.
  • F1nut
    The RD0194 is not a replacement for the Peerless.

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited November 2018
    :( oh well. Guess I'll put them in my RTA11T then. :) Not a lost cause anyways.

Thanks guys
  • F1nut
    They will definitely work in those speakers.

President of Club Polk