New bookie uses passive radiator

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,704
These look very interesting. Tweeter with wave guide at the bottom and passive radiator on the back. The only thing that bugs me is they are using Bennic caps....yuck. Still, I'd like to hear a pair.

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop/s400-black
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I think ZReviews is gonna do something on these soon, I saw them in the background of one of his recent videos and he mentioned them.
    They look sweet. :)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Sean from Zero Fidelity is working on a review also. Great looking speaker! I'd like to hear it.

Buchardt-S400_13.jpg?format=1500w
  • F1nut
    DSkip wrote: »
    How bad do you want to hear a pair?

Send them to me.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Cool B)

President of Club Polk

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    The frequency response is very impressive for a speaker that small, and the build quality looks good too!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,052
    As Zingo mentioned, that frequency response is excellent for a bookie. Down to 33Hz (+/- 3dB). And a 20 year warranty?

I'd have to hear it to believe it, unless it's a printing glitch or translation glitch. Impressive number

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    DSkip wrote: »
    How bad do you want to hear a pair?

Can you get a pair for the get together?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited October 2018
    heiney9 wrote: »
    As Zingo mentioned, that frequency response is excellent for a bookie. Down to 33Hz (+/- 3dB). And a 20 year warranty?

I'd have to hear it to believe it, unless it's a printing glitch or translation glitch. Impressive number

H9

I think the real question on the table is the test conditions used to get that sort of response. Hoffman's Iron Law is... well... kind of inviolable.
    :p
    33 Hz out of a little (passive) box would translate to low sensitivity.
    Umm... I assume this is a passive loudspeaker (no DSP trickery goin' on)?

Data at 10 meters away (anechoic?):

2bbx6x1ftdr8.png

They kind of make a PR sound way more exotic and magical than they really are :p
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2018
    The impedance plot indicates the PR is tuned to the mid 30hz region. This correlates nicely with the 33hz bass extension claim. I would expect the in room bass to be quite good in a normal sized room. I really like the waveguide design on the tweeter.Waveguides ( shallow horns) have been popular amongst the DIY crowd the last few years for good reason .It's nice to see they are now becoming more common on commercial products. Looks like a nice little speaker.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,052
    edited October 2018
    It does look like a nice little speaker. Be very interested in hearing it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    The Zero Fidelity review is now available.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Looks interesting, but they won't win any beauty contests.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    maxward wrote: »
    The Zero Fidelity review is now available.

Good review from Sean, as usual. I just wish he would level match his vocal/speech sections and the interlude music that plays when he's transitioning to a different part of the review. If I'm not quick on my volume control, the interlude music is so much louder that it completely blasts me. It would be trivial for him to either bring up the volume of his voice or reduce the volume of the interlude music, so it's not necessary to make repeated volume adjustments throughout the video.

That being said, these speakers sound like they're a great value for the money.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Looks interesting, but they won't win any beauty contests.

A piano black finish, beveled or rounded edges and a full grill cover would get them closer.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Agreed Jess, maybe a future generation will make those adjustments.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable