New bookie uses passive radiator

F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,705
These look very interesting. Tweeter with wave guide at the bottom and passive radiator on the back. The only thing that bugs me is they are using Bennic caps....yuck. Still, I'd like to hear a pair.

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop/s400-black
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,125
    How bad do you want to hear a pair?
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,632
    I think ZReviews is gonna do something on these soon, I saw them in the background of one of his recent videos and he mentioned them.
    They look sweet. :)
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,140
    Sean from Zero Fidelity is working on a review also. Great looking speaker! I'd like to hear it.

Buchardt-S400_13.jpg?format=1500w
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,705
    DSkip wrote: »

Send them to me.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

F1nut wrote: »

Send them to me.

Let me see if I can work something out for you. I don't have a pair but I have contacts.
    Cool B)

President of Club Polk

• K_MK_M Posts: 1,401
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• zingozingo Audiophile Posts: 11,829
    The frequency response is very impressive for a speaker that small, and the build quality looks good too!
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 24,112
    As Zingo mentioned, that frequency response is excellent for a bookie. Down to 33Hz (+/- 3dB). And a 20 year warranty?

I'd have to hear it to believe it, unless it's a printing glitch or translation glitch. Impressive number

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,630

Can you get a pair for the get together?
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    marvda1 wrote: »

Can you get a pair for the get together?

I can try but it might be too close.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,020
    edited October 2018
    heiney9 wrote: »
    As Zingo mentioned, that frequency response is excellent for a bookie. Down to 33Hz (+/- 3dB). And a 20 year warranty?

I'd have to hear it to believe it, unless it's a printing glitch or translation glitch. Impressive number

H9

I think the real question on the table is the test conditions used to get that sort of response. Hoffman's Iron Law is... well... kind of inviolable.
    :p
    33 Hz out of a little (passive) box would translate to low sensitivity.
    Umm... I assume this is a passive loudspeaker (no DSP trickery goin' on)?

Data at 10 meters away (anechoic?):

2bbx6x1ftdr8.png

They kind of make a PR sound way more exotic and magical than they really are :p
  • FTGVFTGV Posts: 3,653
    edited October 2018
    The impedance plot indicates the PR is tuned to the mid 30hz region. This correlates nicely with the 33hz bass extension claim. I would expect the in room bass to be quite good in a normal sized room. I really like the waveguide design on the tweeter.Waveguides ( shallow horns) have been popular amongst the DIY crowd the last few years for good reason .It's nice to see they are now becoming more common on commercial products. Looks like a nice little speaker.
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 24,112
    edited October 2018
    It does look like a nice little speaker. Be very interested in hearing it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • maxwardmaxward Posts: 382
    The Zero Fidelity review is now available.
    Thorens TD-160C; Sumiko Talisman S; Jolida JD9; Marantz CD-53; North Star Intenso;
    Joule-Electra LA-100; Balanced Power Technology AC conditioner;
    Odyssey Khartago monos (with most factory upgrades); Magnepan MG 3.6R
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,445
    Looks interesting, but they won't win any beauty contests.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,140
    maxward wrote: »
    The Zero Fidelity review is now available.

Good review from Sean, as usual. I just wish he would level match his vocal/speech sections and the interlude music that plays when he's transitioning to a different part of the review. If I'm not quick on my volume control, the interlude music is so much louder that it completely blasts me. It would be trivial for him to either bring up the volume of his voice or reduce the volume of the interlude music, so it's not necessary to make repeated volume adjustments throughout the video.

That being said, these speakers sound like they're a great value for the money.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    edited October 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Looks interesting, but they won't win any beauty contests.

A piano black finish, beveled or rounded edges and a full grill cover would get them closer.

President of Club Polk

• tonybtonyb Posts: 31,445
    Agreed Jess, maybe a future generation will make those adjustments.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable