New bookie uses passive radiator

F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,631
These look very interesting. Tweeter with wave guide at the bottom and passive radiator on the back. The only thing that bugs me is they are using Bennic caps....yuck. Still, I'd like to hear a pair.

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop/s400-black
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    How bad do you want to hear a pair?
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,331
    I think ZReviews is gonna do something on these soon, I saw them in the background of one of his recent videos and he mentioned them.
    They look sweet. :)
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,965
    Sean from Zero Fidelity is working on a review also. Great looking speaker! I'd like to hear it.

Buchardt-S400_13.jpg?format=1500w
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,631
    DSkip wrote: »

Send them to me.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

F1nut wrote: »

Send them to me.

Let me see if I can work something out for you. I don't have a pair but I have contacts.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cool B)

• K_MK_M Posts: 1,045
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

• zingozingo Audiophile Posts: 11,690
    The frequency response is very impressive for a speaker that small, and the build quality looks good too!
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,899
    As Zingo mentioned, that frequency response is excellent for a bookie. Down to 33Hz (+/- 3dB). And a 20 year warranty?

I'd have to hear it to believe it, unless it's a printing glitch or translation glitch. Impressive number

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,213

Can you get a pair for the get together?
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    marvda1 wrote: »

Can you get a pair for the get together?

I can try but it might be too close.
    audiothesis.com/

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,580
    edited October 10
    heiney9 wrote: »
    As Zingo mentioned, that frequency response is excellent for a bookie. Down to 33Hz (+/- 3dB). And a 20 year warranty?

I'd have to hear it to believe it, unless it's a printing glitch or translation glitch. Impressive number

H9

I think the real question on the table is the test conditions used to get that sort of response. Hoffman's Iron Law is... well... kind of inviolable.
    :p
    33 Hz out of a little (passive) box would translate to low sensitivity.
    Umm... I assume this is a passive loudspeaker (no DSP trickery goin' on)?

Data at 10 meters away (anechoic?):

2bbx6x1ftdr8.png

They kind of make a PR sound way more exotic and magical than they really are :p
  • FTGVFTGV Posts: 3,599
    edited October 10
    The impedance plot indicates the PR is tuned to the mid 30hz region. This correlates nicely with the 33hz bass extension claim. I would expect the in room bass to be quite good in a normal sized room. I really like the waveguide design on the tweeter.Waveguides ( shallow horns) have been popular amongst the DIY crowd the last few years for good reason .It's nice to see they are now becoming more common on commercial products. Looks like a nice little speaker.
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,899
    edited October 10
    It does look like a nice little speaker. Be very interested in hearing it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • maxwardmaxward Posts: 189
    The Zero Fidelity review is now available.
    Thorens TD-160C; Sumiko Talisman S; Jolida JD9; Marantz CD-53; North Star Intenso;
    Joule-Electra LA-100; Balanced Power Technology AC conditioner;
    Odyssey Khartago monos (with most factory upgrades); Magnepan MG 3.6R
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,168
    Looks interesting, but they won't win any beauty contests.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,965
    maxward wrote: »
    The Zero Fidelity review is now available.

Good review from Sean, as usual. I just wish he would level match his vocal/speech sections and the interlude music that plays when he's transitioning to a different part of the review. If I'm not quick on my volume control, the interlude music is so much louder that it completely blasts me. It would be trivial for him to either bring up the volume of his voice or reduce the volume of the interlude music, so it's not necessary to make repeated volume adjustments throughout the video.

That being said, these speakers sound like they're a great value for the money.
    edited October 19
    tonyb wrote: »
    Looks interesting, but they won't win any beauty contests.

A piano black finish, beveled or rounded edges and a full grill cover would get them closer.

• tonybtonyb Posts: 30,168
    Agreed Jess, maybe a future generation will make those adjustments.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-