And so it begins, the end of Sears

1235»

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 6,240
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    Very cool about how many of us young men at the time purchased a Craftsman tool set. As many of you do, I still have mine! Stock photo.
    69t0ano5vdcx.png
    verb wrote: »
    Very cool about how many of us young men at the time purchased a Craftsman tool set. As many of you do, I still have mine! Stock photo.
    69t0ano5vdcx.png

My dad bought his first tool set at Sears as well. I’m not sure if he still has it, I’d have to ask him. :)

He does still have it, although he doesn’t know where it is. If he finds it, I’ll post pics.

Cool! They'll be yours someday! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 su, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 20,356
    @rooftop59 ... I replied to your posts through the PM format, and was wondering when I can stop holding my breath waiting for your response.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 1,397
    Had an Ardan's store in early 70's, then came Service Merchandise. Wards closed long ago. Still have an open J.C. Penney's, Sears, Dillard's, Von Maur, K-Mart, Target, Shopko, Kohl's, Wal-Mart. I worked at a W.T. Grant Co. store in 1970, they paid you every Friday, in cash!8i5g5x4es8tz.jpg
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,817
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Had an Ardan's store in early 70's, then came Service Merchandise. Wards closed long ago. Still have an open J.C. Penney's, Sears, Dillard's, Von Maur, K-Mart, Target, Shopko, Kohl's, Wal-Mart. I worked at a W.T. Grant Co. store in 1970, they paid you every Friday, in cash!
    Shopko? Are you from Wisconsin? We used to go there when we spent Christmases around Neenah/Menasha.

We had a Grants that closed around 1975 and became a Service Merchandise. We had a Mammoth Mart that closed around the same time and became a K-Mart, which closed 3 or 4 years ago.

We had a Zayre that sat all by itself until 1978 when an indoor mall was built around it. Zayre eventually closed and was replaced by Ames, which was then replaced by a JCPenney. We had a Giant store that became an Ames and now it is Lowe's.

Our Sears was closed and moved to the same mall as Zayre and JCPenney. I just heard on the way to the grocery store that this Sears has once again avoided the chopping block and will stay open for now. (142 Sears/K-Mart closings were announced yesterday.)

• aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 1,397
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Had an Ardan's store in early 70's, then came Service Merchandise. Wards closed long ago. Still have an open J.C. Penney's, Sears, Dillard's, Von Maur, K-Mart, Target, Shopko, Kohl's, Wal-Mart. I worked at a W.T. Grant Co. store in 1970, they paid you every Friday, in cash!
    Shopko? Are you from Wisconsin?

We've had Shopko's in Nebr. for maybe 25 years. One of two stores in Omaha closed this summer. Times were tough for them too. The closed store's final sale days when most items were 40% off, several people notice they changed the original prices upward, sometimes over 20%, then reduced them 40%. Not cool!
    We've had Shopko's in Nebr. for maybe 25 years. One of two stores in Omaha closed this summer. Times were tough for them too. The closed store's final sale days when most items were 40% off, several people notice they changed the original prices upward, sometimes over 20%, then reduced them 40%. Not cool!

There is a grocery store here that does that every week with their "buy one, get one free" items. Although it is hard to notice because everything is jacked-up to begin with. :p
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 614
    edited October 2018
    My dad, rest his soul, was a carpenter/cabinetmaker.

I remember, back in the early 70's, him getting this saw. (pic from the web).
    Mom fussed at the cost, but the things he made....man.

the boy scouts got new tables at camp.
    Father got the church pews repaired as a craftsman would do it.

My high school players got a set of circular stairs for Mame to come down, that were so good they got scarffed by somebody after the play. Rat Bastiges

His grandkids got rocking horses that they will pass on to their childer.
    Mom got a set of hand-made kitchen cabinets.

I still have a gathering table he made for me.

And that saw in my shop.

F0CL0Y4FRD80G60.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 7,895
    I have that exact saw too. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Tony M wrote: »
    I have that exact saw too. B)

I expect your review of that saw on my desk by midnight eastern time! :p
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,481
    @rooftop59 ... I replied to your posts through the PM format, and was wondering when I can stop holding my breath waiting for your response.

John are you still there?? Wake up man! Replied.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch