And so it begins, the end of Sears

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    joecoulson wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Todays no different Doc. You pick out your stuff and wait for it to be delivered.....by Amazon.

So true
    I do miss showrooms though. Nothing in the middle anymore. Either stupid high end where you almost need a ticket to enter the showroom (electronics) or big box which is the worst way to showcase that type of gear.

The new Amazon stores are probably (OK, possibly ;) ) the vanguard of the 21st century version of the showroom. There are also these pop-up stores that are showrooms with no "cash and carry" products -- just augmented internet purchasing. This may become a thing... we'll see.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/10/04/wayfair-pop-up-shop-natick-mall-store/
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2018
    Someone will pick up the rights to sell Crafstman repair parts. It's too lucrative for it to just fall by the wayside. I bought most of my outdoor products from Sears as well as indoor appliances. At the time, with the discounts and incentives, they had the best prices on Kenmore/Craftsman products. This was before they sold off the brand.

My lawn mower is a Craftsman w/Honda engine. It was a 25% less of the cost of the full Honda mower and it's been going strong for 6 years.

I will be sorry to see them go. But I will say, I bought all my recent stuff on-line and either had it delivered or I went and picked it up. Prices, incentives, etc are better on-line than in the showroom.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Lowes already has Craftsman tools
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    One thing I will miss, is the Sears at our Mall has a small engine repair shop. Lowes, Home Depot, etc all send their stuff out for repair. The Sears here actually gets the parts and repairs on site.

Sure, there are independent's in town that do small engine repair.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Mikey081057
    edited October 2018
    If you know a manufacturer's part number for virtually any lawn/garden tool or appliance you can enter it in the search on Amazon and if it's available just 1 click and it's on it's way.

Find , copy , paste, click, done.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Find , copy , paste, click, done.

Probably also how you'll choose a mate in the near future. :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    That will also require an UNDO button!

• Sears was once known for having a good mix of quality merchandise. They basically screwed that up in the early 90's by switching to extremely cheap, low quality stuff, but with a lifetime warranty. A warranty doesn't ensure you're getting a good deal so I and many others stayed away from Sears. Other outlets like Lowes and Home Depot started eating their lunch with better products. Sears, unfortunately, caught on too late.

The seeds of Sears demise were planted decades ago.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited October 2018
    We had a Sears and a Service Merchandise in the same shopping center. Now there's a T.J. Maxx where Service Merchandise was, a grocery store where Sears was, and a Buffalo Wilds Wings where the Sears Automotive Center was.

Coincidentally, Tony, the salesman at Creative Sound that sold me my 2.3TLs in 1992, left and got a job at that same Sears Automotive Center a few years later.

I got my first job 2 weeks after I turned 16 and I bought a set of Craftsman tools with my first paycheck. I think it was $19.99 and it had 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" ratchets and sockets, extensions, universals, combination wrenches, allen wrenches, ignition wrenches (remember those?), and quite a few other bits and pieces. I bought a screwdriver set to go with it within a month or so. Metric? That was something someone mentioned in school a few times. :p
  • Viking64
    edited October 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Probably also how you'll choose a mate in the near future. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdSqLfuRN18
  • Mikey081057
    edited October 2018
    Deleted

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2018
    deleted
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Man Mikey, dump some booze in that coffee or somethin'. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

As well as Farm & Fleet and many many more stores. No more lifetime guarantee on them from what i hear.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

https://www.businessinsider.com/sears-sells-craftsman-brand-for-900-million-2017-1

Sears sold the brand to Stanley Black & Decker in early 2017.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    My Sears had a candy counter. I just remebered that. My mom used to buy candy everytime we went there. She would get some nasty carp that no one would eat but her. All this time I thought that I hated Sears...
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited October 2018
    I remember the Montgomery Ward Xmas book real well.
    We didn't get the Sears one until I was older. All the stuff
    you'd never see in person out in the boonies.
    When I started working and had a bit of money, the 1st thing I did was buy
    one of those Craftsman tool sets. I was sick of busted knuckles from cheap
    tools breaking. The old man had nothing but the cheap stuff.
    I still have those tools today. I've added to it from Craftsman,
    Snap-on, and MAC, but the bulk of it is still Craftsman.
    The only stuff I ever broke was stuff I was abusing. Broken screwdriver tips,
    1/4 rachets, and a couple 1/4 sockets with a mini breaker bar and a pipe for
    those tight places. I've lost more than I've broken by far.
    There were a few pawn shops in Dallas with cheap socket bins.
    I used replace lost ones and bought a few spares of popular sizes
    for 25-50 cents apiece. Those places are few and far between now.
    God, I hate Amazon. I go out of my way to order stuff direct from
    other websites.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    In the 80s, I worked at a local small business that sold power equipment and parts. The parts business was very popular, as it was the only place around that stocked a lot of items. We had cross reference charts on microfiche for most any brand you could think of, including Craftsman. Our stuff just had the OEM part number, instead of Sears.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Very cool about how many of us young men at the time purchased a Craftsman tool set. As many of you do, I still have mine! Stock photo.
    69t0ano5vdcx.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    verb wrote: »
    Very cool about how many of us young men at the time purchased a Craftsman tool set. As many of you do, I still have mine! Stock photo.
    69t0ano5vdcx.png
    69t0ano5vdcx.png

My dad bought his first tool set at Sears as well. I’m not sure if he still has it, I’d have to ask him. :)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I still have my Craftsman socket set, toolbox and a multitude of mini sets of screwdrivers and other drill bit sets. Pliers and adjustable wrench sets too. Wet Vacs too. Saws from hand saw to saws-all. Angled drills and reg. corded ones too. table saw, ( I had a Craftsman band saw but sold it after I bought a great older beautiful Delta band saw ). I still have my old miter saw too. But I also have a Porter Cable and 12" Dewalt miter saws now also.

Craftsman levels and hammers too. They were made very well for years.

I love Craftsman tools! Can you tell? :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    69t0ano5vdcx.png
    69t0ano5vdcx.png

My dad bought his first tool set at Sears as well. I’m not sure if he still has it, I’d have to ask him. :)

He does still have it, although he doesn’t know where it is. If he finds it, I’ll post pics.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    69t0ano5vdcx.png
    69t0ano5vdcx.png

He does still have it, although he doesn’t know where it is. If he finds it, I’ll post pics.

Cool! They'll be yours someday! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    @rooftop59 ... I replied to your posts through the PM format, and was wondering when I can stop holding my breath waiting for your response.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Had an Ardan's store in early 70's, then came Service Merchandise. Wards closed long ago. Still have an open J.C. Penney's, Sears, Dillard's, Von Maur, K-Mart, Target, Shopko, Kohl's, Wal-Mart. I worked at a W.T. Grant Co. store in 1970, they paid you every Friday, in cash!8i5g5x4es8tz.jpg
  • Viking64
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Had an Ardan's store in early 70's, then came Service Merchandise. Wards closed long ago. Still have an open J.C. Penney's, Sears, Dillard's, Von Maur, K-Mart, Target, Shopko, Kohl's, Wal-Mart. I worked at a W.T. Grant Co. store in 1970, they paid you every Friday, in cash!
    Shopko? Are you from Wisconsin? We used to go there when we spent Christmases around Neenah/Menasha.

We had a Grants that closed around 1975 and became a Service Merchandise. We had a Mammoth Mart that closed around the same time and became a K-Mart, which closed 3 or 4 years ago.

We had a Zayre that sat all by itself until 1978 when an indoor mall was built around it. Zayre eventually closed and was replaced by Ames, which was then replaced by a JCPenney. We had a Giant store that became an Ames and now it is Lowe's.

Our Sears was closed and moved to the same mall as Zayre and JCPenney. I just heard on the way to the grocery store that this Sears has once again avoided the chopping block and will stay open for now. (142 Sears/K-Mart closings were announced yesterday.)

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Had an Ardan's store in early 70's, then came Service Merchandise. Wards closed long ago. Still have an open J.C. Penney's, Sears, Dillard's, Von Maur, K-Mart, Target, Shopko, Kohl's, Wal-Mart. I worked at a W.T. Grant Co. store in 1970, they paid you every Friday, in cash!
    Shopko? Are you from Wisconsin?

We've had Shopko's in Nebr. for maybe 25 years. One of two stores in Omaha closed this summer. Times were tough for them too. The closed store's final sale days when most items were 40% off, several people notice they changed the original prices upward, sometimes over 20%, then reduced them 40%. Not cool!
  • Viking64
    We've had Shopko's in Nebr. for maybe 25 years. One of two stores in Omaha closed this summer. Times were tough for them too. The closed store's final sale days when most items were 40% off, several people notice they changed the original prices upward, sometimes over 20%, then reduced them 40%. Not cool!

There is a grocery store here that does that every week with their "buy one, get one free" items. Although it is hard to notice because everything is jacked-up to begin with. :p
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    edited October 2018
    My dad, rest his soul, was a carpenter/cabinetmaker.

I remember, back in the early 70's, him getting this saw. (pic from the web).
    Mom fussed at the cost, but the things he made....man.

the boy scouts got new tables at camp.
    Father got the church pews repaired as a craftsman would do it.

My high school players got a set of circular stairs for Mame to come down, that were so good they got scarffed by somebody after the play. Rat Bastiges

His grandkids got rocking horses that they will pass on to their childer.
    Mom got a set of hand-made kitchen cabinets.

I still have a gathering table he made for me.

And that saw in my shop.

F0CL0Y4FRD80G60.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I have that exact saw too. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.