Are you READY for some FOOTBALL!!!

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I agree...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,582
    Maybe it’s Karma. Watch the late hit week one on Bears QB. He should of been fined and suspended? Go Bears! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Vikings and Packers really sucked today! Now I need a Bears win. Go Bears. D

You sir, are a MASTER of the understatement. That was easily in the top 5 worst games I have ever watched in my lifetime. There was no sense of the Vikings even being aware there was a game today. Maybe 53 lucky fans were picked at random while entering the stadium and told they were going to suit up.

Pathetic play in every phase of the game. Only Adam Thielen seemed willing to step up.

Agreed....I had to keep checking the guide, make sure I wasn't watching a H.S. football game. Was like the whole Viking team had a hangover.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    So now you have the $100 million guaranteed man Garopollo out indefinitely with a suspected ACL just three games into that mulit-year guaranteed contract; Cousins the $100 million guaranteed man has three turnovers and can't get his offense into the Bills side of the field until the fourth quarter; and Rodgers the $100 million guaranteed man gimping around with a brace and can't hobble his team past the Redskins, he'll be lucky to make it another couple games before he's knocked out for the year. These ultra-huge guaranteed contracts are going to strap a bunch of teams financially for many years into the future, and have already severely sacrificed depth due to one player making 20% of the cap, despite the extra cap money coming from the new TV contracts. I've been a football fan for well more than a half a century and I've just about had it with all these prima donnas and the lame NFL rules.
  • tonyb
    I might agree with all that. Though one must think that they wouldn't pay these guys what they can't afford. Eventually, I think to get around the cap, they'll have to cut the strings and buy these overpriced dudes out of their contract.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Tough to buy them out when it’s all guaranteed. They have little room on these e crept perhaps a morals clause.... good luck getting mr. Clean Cousins on that count.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    I like to watch football.
  • dromunds
    Its not even the amount that bugs me, its the guaranteed hundred million that extends over years. Let's take Rodgers for instance, he was locked up for two more years on his existing contract, just coming off a serious injury to his throwing arm, and when he "comes back" at the end of last year he stinks up the joint. Plus, he's clearly seen his better years already. Yet, the Packers in their wisdom see fit to guarantee $100 million to him before the regular season starts this year, only to have him go down in that very first game. I believe their philosophy is that they are going to have this face of the franchise and we'll scrimp on the others. Anybody can play offensive line, right? Next man up. It's B.S. and it'll bite them and others in the behind. Seems like any time you guarantee big money the player soon thereafter either gets hurt or dwindles off into double-dome mediocrity. I'll predict right now that McCarthy is replaced as coach after the season concludes with the Packers going 8-8 and not making the playoffs for two years in a row. Unless, of course, the rest of the division stinks it up even worse, which judging by the season so far is not a foregone conclusion.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2018
    The Packers can’t go 8-8 because of the tie last week. :p The Vikings will find a way to edge the Pack out at 9-6-1, only to lose the wild card game with a shanked field goal that goes wide right from 23 yards out.

• The Packers can’t go 8-8 because of the tie last week. :p The Vikings will find a way to edge the Pack out at 9-6-1, only to lose the wild card game with a shanked field goal that goes wide right from 23 yards out.

Thanks for the update Nostradamus.
  • nooshinjohn
    krazypolk wrote: »
    The Packers can’t go 8-8 because of the tie last week. :p The Vikings will find a way to edge the Pack out at 9-6-1, only to lose the wild card game with a shanked field goal that goes wide right from 23 yards out.

Thanks for the update Nostradamus.

I am beginning to think you were dropped on your head or something.

• trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    edited September 2018
    I agree dromunds. Handicapping your salary cap for years with a guaranteed contract can really come back to bite you in the a$$. I think all contracts should be incentive driven.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    OK, so at least my Cardinals played football this weekend. I'd like to see a lot more of Rosen.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    The money is guaranteed yes, over a certain amount of time and also requires something back from the player, like going to practices, playing the game. If a player gets hurt too badly, he may decide to call it quits and negotiate a way out of his contract because he doesn't want to play or show up at practices.

Everything is negotiable .

Rogers....it's not just about him being on his last leg, no pun intended there. It's about the money he brings in to the Packers, filling seats, selling merchandise, blah blah. Your name becomes a marketable enterprise with value, much like Jordan, or many other top name athletes.

They capitalize on that value in contract talks. No problem with that. However, how much value does Rogers name lose if the Packers said see ya ? How much would the Packers organization lose if Rogers went away ? They have nobody in the wings to fill his shoes, unlike Rogers was filling Bretts. Very few teams these days have a solid back up QB, with talent. They put all their eggs in one basket with a starter QB and these huge contracts.

In my view, Packers should have waited the 2 years to negotiate Rogers contract. By that time he most likely wouldn't even want to play anymore and it would have been easier to say adios to him. Packer fans are rabid, they don't need a huge money guy to fill seats. Look at the Chicago Cubs, never spent money on quality players because they could always fill the seats at Wrigley. Until the fans said enough already. Packers are in need of rebuilding, and tying themselves down with these huge contracts for aging players is going to come back and bite them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds

Yeah, I don't know what I was smoking this morning, the Packers can't go 8-8. Let's suffice it to say they will be lucky to have a winning record unless some sleeper awakens, and my prediction is they won't make the playoffs. However, with that said, they've surprised me before. I just look at their schedule after the bye and its tough, tough, tough. That Nov. 25 night game at the Vikes could decide the division and the playoffs.
  • Yeah that sucks for him. He waited a long time for his chance to be a star. Was just getting going too.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Yeah that sucks for him. He waited a long time for his chance to be a star. Was just getting going too.

Bone head play from what I saw on sports center. Trying to juke the defenders for what, an extra yard? Qb's are paid big bucks to be smarter than that.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    The last four of us went out in survivor pool. Three picked Vikes and one picked Pats. Guess we will be starting over from four.
  • krazypolk wrote: »
    Yeah that sucks for him. He waited a long time for his chance to be a star. Was just getting going too.

Bone head play from what I saw on sports center. Trying to juke the defenders for what, an extra yard? Qb's are paid big bucks to be smarter than that.

You know it’s a lot easier to judge one’s decision after the fact. He took a risk and had it worked it would have been a great play.

And no the big bucks are based on what they have already done and speculating what they might do in the future. Jimmy gets payed to play football the way he knows how.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
    Yeah that sucks for him. He waited a long time for his chance to be a star. Was just getting going too.

You know it’s a lot easier to judge one’s decision after the fact. He took a risk and had it worked it would have been a great play.

And no the big bucks are based on what they have already done and speculating what they might do in the future. Jimmy gets payed to play football the way he knows how.

He would have gotten an extra yard. He had 5 defenders all around him. Did you see the replay, probably not.

He'll get paid big bucks over the next year and it won't be for playing football.

He would have gotten an extra yard. He had 5 defenders all around him. Did you see the replay, probably not.

He'll get paid big bucks over the next year and it won't be for playing football.

You’ve missed the point. You don’t know what those extra yards would mean in the grand scheme of things. Every thing counts. Jimmy plays to gain every yard he can as any player should. Can’t blame him for that. It’s not like this couldn’t have happened on any other play where he tries to change direction either.

You’ve missed the point. You don’t know what those extra yards would mean in the grand scheme of things. Every thing counts. Jimmy plays to gain every yard he can as any player should. Can’t blame him for that. It’s not like this couldn’t have happened on any other play where he tries to change direction either.

Sorry, but I believe YOU'VE missed the point. The starting QB is the one player on the team that should avoid unnecessary situations like that at all costs.

1. Why is the league trying at all costs to minimize hits on the QB?
    2. Why are QB's instructed to slide feet first when the defenders are closing in on him?
    3. Why do teams invest so many resources on the QB position?

I'll give you a hint, because the position is like it or not, the most important on the team. But I guess the extra yard made a world of difference to you and Mr (bonehead) Garappolo.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2018
    And this is why the NFL is taking head injuries and concussions seriously.... Aside from threatening to shoot someone at the team's hotel, he also was arrested for breaking into the home of a fellow team-mate.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/24/vikings-everson-griffen-mental-health-evaluation

No telling what is behind his bizarre behavior, but CTE has been linked to such abrupt changes in behavior. Praying for him and his family. :(

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2018

Sorry, but I believe YOU'VE missed the point. The starting QB is the one player on the team that should avoid unnecessary situations like that at all costs.

1. Why is the league trying at all costs to minimize hits on the QB?
    2. Why are QB's instructed to slide feet first when the defenders are closing in on him?
    3. Why do teams invest so many resources on the QB position?

I'll give you a hint, because the position is like it or not, the most important on the team. But I guess the extra yard made a world of difference to you and Mr (bonehead) Garappolo.

Oh dear lord. You’ve missed the forest for the trees my man.

Garoppolo got hurt making a move for a couple extra yards, which had nothing to do with contact. Could have happened on any play. His decision didn’t cause his injury. Had he contacted the defense they would likely just forced him out of bounds.

To your other points no one is arguing the rules in place to protect the qb.

You clearly have a problem with elite talent getting paid for being elite. They will continue to pay the man, if they don’t someone else will.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    edited September 2018

One last time. Trying to juke the defenders for what, an extra yard?
    He was going out of bounds but he made a jerky move at the last moment tearing his ACL. There's a lot of football experts in the media, including past players. All the ones I heard critiqued his lack of judgment based on the situation.

I never said he got hurt by contact. I clearly stated that he tried to deceive the defenders by acting as though he was going out of bounds and at the very last moment tried to remain in bounds. That's what juke means

Post edited by krazypolk on
  • Oh...now that you’ve rewritten it in bold, I can see what you’re saying. :D SMH.
  • Oh...now that you’ve rewritten it in bold, I can see what you’re saying. :D SMH.

Well it's about time.
  • tonyb
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/09/26/alliance-american-football-reveals-team-names-logos-with-kickoff-drawing-near.html

They really gonna try this again ? Thoughts ?

As much as I'd like to see competition for the NFL, it would only be a matter of time before it morphed into the same thing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's