Shunyata Venom 14 power cord - ongoing review

13»

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Well, you guys have really derailed this thread. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    laelle wrote: »
    Hello again... I have cancelled my order of the Furman PST 8D and will buy a CyberPower Pure Sine Wave UPS instead...

You don’t want a UPS in an audio rig.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Laelle, I mean something like a set of speakers and a integrated amplifier. I’ve got a pretty epic system (all used gear) which I’ve spent a total of around $175 on. Not using most of that stuff anymore, but it sounded great, especially for the price of Polk T15’s and a Lepai 2020, plus cables and stuff.
    So basically, if your on a big time budget, you can still get great sound, because audio gear depreciates quick, meaning value for people who buy used gear. My Mission 770’s sound like a $1000 speaker, but I’ve put $75 into them. They are worth a little over double that, but still, $150 for that kind of sound? Yes please.
    If you decide to do this, just ask us for suggestions and we’d be happy to help spend your money. :wink:

Thank you! I’ll see what I can do... I heard one tube preamp off of a big tower speaker and I was bummed by that class b tube sound, I expected much better sound... I pretty much then gave up on preamps and systems... but maybe it’s just because the power was not clean and it came out harsh?? Hmm... I can’t wait to try the pc or ups...!

What was it as I've never heard of a class B tube pre amp.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• laelle
    laelle Posts: 100
    Laelle, I mean something like a set of speakers and a integrated amplifier. I’ve got a pretty epic system (all used gear) which I’ve spent a total of around $175 on. Not using most of that stuff anymore, but it sounded great, especially for the price of Polk T15’s and a Lepai 2020, plus cables and stuff.
    So basically, if your on a big time budget, you can still get great sound, because audio gear depreciates quick, meaning value for people who buy used gear. My Mission 770’s sound like a $1000 speaker, but I’ve put $75 into them. They are worth a little over double that, but still, $150 for that kind of sound? Yes please.
    If you decide to do this, just ask us for suggestions and we’d be happy to help spend your money. :wink:

Thank you! I’ll see what I can do... I heard one tube preamp off of a big tower speaker and I was bummed by that class b tube sound, I expected much better sound... I pretty much then gave up on preamps and systems... but maybe it’s just because the power was not clean and it came out harsh?? Hmm... I can’t wait to try the pc or ups...!

Class B?
    Class B amps (I think) are very, VERY efficient, but have lots of distortion, and poor dynamics. They are popular in places where efficiency counts, like a watch, or a phone, or a microwave, etc.
    What area are you in? I’d be happy to look on your local Craigslist, and give you some ideas of what to look for, and I’m sure others here would as well.

I live in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada actually...!
  • laelle
    edited September 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hello again... I have cancelled my order of the Furman PST 8D and will buy a CyberPower Pure Sine Wave UPS instead...

Pleaaaase tell me why... I really need to know... I did try to cancel my amazon order yesterday but the package is still coming through...

Let me know why! Explain to me how a pure sine wave signal from a pure sine wave UPS would not be good because I really don’t understand!!!

Unfortunately I don’t remember the model, all I know is it was a cheap 2 way tower speakers with two 15 inch woofers and I sent it back because there was no tweeter in the tweeter slot!
    Post edited by laelle on
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

I know where that is. :p (I live in Northern Vermont.)
  • laelle
    Viking64 wrote: »

I know where that is. :p (I live in Northern Vermont.)

Hahahah awesome I think I know approximately where that is too xD

Aww God though... I can’t decide between a UPS or a power conditioner, I’d believe a UPS would be better since it regenerates a pure sine wave, I also just read this;

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/128836-hifi-gear-on-ups-improved-the-sound-why/
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited September 2018

Aww God though... I can’t decide between a UPS or a power conditioner, I’d believe a UPS would be better since it regenerates a pure sine wave, I also just read this;

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/128836-hifi-gear-on-ups-improved-the-sound-why/

To be honest, I don't think you are going to see a noticeable difference regardless of which unit you buy, based on your equipment. :#

EDIT: That should have read: "....noticeable difference in AUDIO, and even less likely in your VIDEO."
  • laelle
    edited September 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »

To be honest, I don't think you are going to see a noticeable difference regardless of which unit you buy, based on your equipment. :#

Oh but don’t worry, I am pretty sure the AC from the wall isn’t ideal, I... think I can hear it, the garbled, fuzzy sound due to the noisy sine wave... I have extremely good ears...

This is what I’d expect;

http://snag.gy/1Wpb9.jpgrwvaxmq4d61u.jpeg
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Haven't noticed any life being sucked out of my music with the PS Audio Dectet.

One of the reasons I bought a PS Audio unit too, if anything it improved the sound. Can't say the same for some other MOV devices. Running Springs is another brand, expensive, but worth it, if you have some coin locked up in a system .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    edited September 2018

Pleaaaase tell me why... I really need to know... I did try to cancel my amazon order yesterday but the package is still coming through...

Let me know why! Explain to me how a pure sine wave signal from a pure sine wave UPS would not be good because I really don’t understand!!!

Unfortunately I don’t remember the model, all I know is it was a cheap 2 way tower speakers with two 15 inch woofers and I sent it back because there was no tweeter in the tweeter slot!

They restrict current.

Huh? How did a tube pre amp become a pair of speakers?

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    edited September 2018
    I have extremely good ears...

If you have extremely good ears, then you owe them something better than a soundbar. As nice as any soundbar may be, it's still inherently worse than equivalently priced actual speakers with separate components driving them.

Then again I could be wrong, I guess there might actually be people who think that soundbars sound better then regular speakers? I don't know.
  • laelle

They restrict current.

Huh? How did a tube pre amp become a pair of speakers?

Well it said that it used a class b preamp, it’s an active bi amp speaker that used a class b amp in it...

Clipdat wrote: »
    I have extremely good ears...

If you have extremely good ears, then you owe them something better than a soundbar. As nice as any soundbar may be, it's still inherently worse than equivalently priced actual speakers with separate components driving them.

Then again I could be wrong, I guess there might actually be people who think that soundbars sound better then regular speakers? I don't know.

Hahaha yeah I guess... but you got to say that the MagniFi MAX SR is really quite something, no? To my ears, it’s just wow...!
  • F1nut
    Then it's not a tube pre amp. Are you sure any of it is class B because most active speakers are using class D.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2018
    Push-pull audio amplifiers operate with a bias level more or less within the definition of "Class B". In practice, the "hybrid" operational point of the active devices (tubes or transistors) in audio amplifiers is usually between the bias points that correspond to "Class A" (single-ended, devices "on" all of the time, even when no signal is present) and "Class B" (device "on" only when amplifying signal). That intermediate operating point is -- you guessed it! -- "Class AB".

No problems with dymanics per se in a Class B amplifier. You won't likely find a Class B amplifier in a phone, watch, or a microwave, either.

The main issue with pure Class B relates to the behavior of a device turning on exactly at the crossover point (zero volts) of an AC signal (like music!). The glitch that a Class B push-pull amplifier adds to a signal at that crossover point is called :pcrossover distortion.

Oh -- and, by the way, the most common application for pure Class B amplifiers is probably radio transmitters.

HTH.

PS A push-pull amplifier can operate in Class A, AB, or B depending on the operating conditions of the active devices (of which there must be at least two, or a multiple of two). A single-ended amplifier operates in Class A by definition, and can have one or more active devices (i.e., the output devices can be paralleled).
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    The article that I read two years ago lied to me.
    I thought they were used in things like watches because of their efficiency.
    The more ya know. :)
  • laelle
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Push-pull audio amplifiers operate with a bias level more or less within the definition of "Class B". In practice, the "hybrid" operational point of the active devices (tubes or transistors) in audio amplifiers is usually between the bias points that correspond to "Class A" (single-ended, devices "on" all of the time, even when no signal is present) and "Class B" (device "on" only when amplifying signal). That intermediate operating point is -- you guessed it! -- "Class AB".

No problems with dymanics per se in a Class B amplifier. You won't likely find a Class B amplifier in a phone, watch, or a microwave, either.

The main issue with pure Class B relates to the behavior of a device turning on exactly at the crossover point (zero volts) of an AC signal (like music!). The glitch that a Class B push-pull amplifier adds to a signal at that crossover point is called :pcrossover distortion.

Oh -- and, by the way, the most common application for pure Class B amplifiers is probably radio transmitters.

HTH.

PS A push-pull amplifier can operate in Class A, AB, or B depending on the operating conditions of the active devices (of which there must be at least two, or a multiple of two). A single-ended amplifier operates in Class A by definition, and can have one or more active devices (i.e., the output devices can be paralleled).

I am sorry I made a mistake, it really was a class AB... like you said... I had completely forgotten, it was a tower speaker and there were fancy led lights around the woofers, can’t remember the company name, 3000 watts of power, that I remember and had a radio too...
  • laelle wrote: »

HTH.

I am sorry I made a mistake, it really was a class AB... like you said... I had completely forgotten, it was a tower speaker and there were fancy led lights around the woofers, can’t remember the company name, 3000 watts of power, that I remember and had a radio too...

A 3000w tower with red lights around the woofers and a built in radio? Screams WHITE VAN!!
  • laelle

HTH.

A 3000w tower with red lights around the woofers and a built in radio? Screams WHITE VAN!!

There! I found it!

http://consumer.geminisound.com/product/as-215blu-lt/?v=3e8d115eb4b3
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

HTH.

There! I found it!

http://consumer.geminisound.com/product/as-215blu-lt/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

LOL. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    sounds like something from the likes of Pyle. Cheap junk.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited September 2018
    Gemini is just inexpensive dj gear
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Anyone else planning on trying out a Venom 14 sometime soon?
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited September 2018
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra