My first real speakers

Hello everyone,

I've just picked up a pair of monitors from Craigslist for the sweet irresistible price of 25 dollars. Can you help me identify them? It seems the tweeters are SL2500, based on the label on the back.

lpwmhjw0x255.jpg
yzlei3xqtis4.jpg
lr8sblw5ojrj.jpg
2xc6xup87nfi.jpg

I'd also appreciate any advice you could give in regards to refurbishing and repairing them. One of them only operates from the tweeter, though there is some vibration in the other two speakers. Probably due to a bad capacitor.

Thanks!

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I think those are Monitor 5’s.
    The magnet in the speaker that doesn’t play has probably slipped (google, and you’ll find that it’s a very common issue), so the first thing I would do I say pull the other driver and put glue (don’t remember which kind is recommended by most here) around the magnets so it doesn’t slip. Then, go and gently push on both sides of the cone with your thumb, and see if it moves easily. If it doesn’t immediately move, then don’t force it, and hopefully someone else will chime in on how to fix it.

Also, the big driver on the bottom is a passive radiator, in case you didn’t already know. The only active drivers in these speakers are the tweeter and midwoofer, the bottom only is pushed by the air of the midwoofer.
  • mlistens03
    Almost forgot to mention, welcome to Club Polk!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Monitor 5 Series 2.

The mid-driver's magnet has slipped. Tough to repair. You should be able to find a replacement on eBay.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Your first pic is the passive radiator.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Thanks for the welcome everyone! The non-operational driver cone is wobbly and loose. So this is due to a slipped magnet? Can anyone help me understand more? I'd like to attempt the repair myself, if that's feasible.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I can do the same if @lawdogg is unable, and for the same deal.

I haven't made this public knowledge only due to the fact that I only obtained my weekends last Sunday. But I officially have some free time to help the community now.

Very nice gesture sir!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Should the cone be firmly connected to the voice coil? I suspect there is something more wrong here. The dust cap is effectively destroyed, so I just pulled off the crumbling bits.
  • Sorry for the double post, somehow I don't have editing permissions on my last post.
    wcu19rnnd0ey.jpg
    As you can see, the voice coil has totally burned away from the spider and the cone. The dust cap just crumbled away when I touched it. Is this repairable, or should I just search for a replacement driver?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    A replacement will be your best bet IMHO...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mlistens03
    Woah, never seen anything like that for a Polk driver.
    Find a used replacement on eBay or something, and maybe try to fix that one as a spare?
    Did you use a multimeter to test the resistance?
  • I've got 0.3 ohms across the terminals. How on earth would I even go about repairing this? The cone might be usable but the spider seems fubar. Are replacement parts available?
  • mlistens03
    cyrial wrote: »
    I've got 0.3 ohms across the terminals. How on earth would I even go about repairing this? The cone might be usable but the spider seems fubar. Are replacement parts available?

If it’s reads 0.3 ohms, you’re toast. The driver is garbage, although don’t toss it in case a magnet slips on another speaker, and during repair it is dropped and it cracks or something. Or maybe I’m preparing you for something that’ll never happen.
    Once you get these working, you will quickly find yourself sucked into the rabbit hole, destined for the rest of your life to be hunting for deals on Craigslist and at garage sales, and endlessly tweaking and testing and tweaking again. :wink:
  • I fear I'm already down the rabbit hole, and this is merely the latest branch of the tunnel
  • With that much damage to a driver I would check everything electronic very carefully. Including replacing the caps and resistors, almost looks like that burned driver was hit with Direct Current.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Driver is toast. MW6502s are plentiful on fleabay. Just make sure the seller wraps it properly to prevent damage during shipping
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Thanks for the model number @westmassguy
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    edited September 2018
    Bummer! Yes used drivers are plentiful. In fact, I have a re-centered and epoxied 6502 right here that you're welcome to if you can cover shipping. Even the dust cap has never been pushed in. :smiley:
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • It's my lucky day! Do you do this for fun, lawdogg? I'm not sure how to send messages on this forum, but I certainly am interested. Thank you :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    lawdogg wrote: »
    Bummer! Yes used drivers are plentiful. In fact, I have a re-centered and epoxied 6502 right here that you're welcome to if you can cover shipping. Even the dust cap has never been pushed in. :smiley:

Club Polk.... it’s how we roll. Good on you Lawdogg.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lawdogg
    cyrial wrote: »
    It's my lucky day! Do you do this for fun, lawdogg? I'm not sure how to send messages on this forum, but I certainly am interested. Thank you :)

Yep just for fun and to help people out who need it! I'll send you a message about the shipping.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    tonyb wrote: »
    Very nice of you Lawdogg, you get the club Polk smiley sticker today . :)
    I think there's a button and a trophy for that.
    Seriously, way to go man.
    Indeed! Hear, hear! :)

• lawdogg
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I think there's a button and a trophy for that.

Nothing will ever top the cookie I got from Jesse. :blush:
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That made me burst out laughing :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lawdogg
    Well his driver's en route so hopefully we get some good news from him on Monday!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• Woohoo! I'll be sure to let you all know just how good it sounds. These speakers are awesome, without so much bass that I disturb the neighbors. Gonna be great for doing homework...
  • Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • It's a good thing that you stumbled upon lawdogg, because up to now your first real speakers were beginning to look like real duds.

Lawdogg to the rescue.