Technics abandons DVD-A and introduces its first SACD player

From: https://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201808/30/20115.html

Google translation....

Panasonic exhibited SACD / network player prototype as a prototype of a new product of the Technics brand at the company's booth at IFA 2018.

The model number has not been decided yet, and it is said that the release time is scheduled for the spring to the summer of 2019. Although it has not decided the price, since it is a product of the Grand class, Technics CTO 's Tetuya Ida said that it will appear in the same price range as the same series product.

Panasonic's first SACD playback machine, which supports single / hybrid 2ch playback. DVD audio can not be played.

It can be used not only as SACD but also as a network player, with Wi-Fi installed. In addition to supporting AirPlay, it also has a Bluetooth receiver function.

Besides playing high resolution sound source, it also corresponds to MQA. It also supports Chromecast Built-In. You can also stream Spotify, TIDAL, Internet radio stations.

Arrange the drive mechanism in the center of the body. In addition to the display, on the right side is equipped with a jog dial for multi-control which covers headphone volume and input switching etc. with one, playback system buttons and so on.

In addition to the power button, headphone output, USB terminal are equipped on the left side of the case. On the back side, in addition to providing 2-channel 2-channel audio output terminals with RCA unbalance and XLR balance, both digital input / output terminals are equipped with one optical / coaxial system.

Since it is not yet decided on model number, it seems that it will still take time until its appearance, but as a player who can play SACD for the first time as Panasonic, it seems to be a topic.

SACD-NANAME.jpg
SACD-HIDARI.jpg

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Very cool, killing two birds with one stone. I want it!
  • Clipdat
    One of their existing network players has some interesting technologies inside it: https://www.technics.com/us/products/grand-class-g30/network-audio-amplifier-su-g30.html
  • Clipdat
    F1nut wrote: »
    Long live SACD B)

Hell yeah! And I'm loving the feature list on this thing. Front and rear USB input, single ended and balanced output, nice LCD screen, WiFi and Ethernet, etc, etc. It's ticking all the boxes for me, but I'm sure it'll be priced well above my budget.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited August 2018
    Do not be fooled DVD-A was abandoned long ago. It is just a fluke one ir two have came out in the last 5 yrs.
  • Clipdat
    I hear your concerns. Historically, a lot of times when companies have tried to do these "2-in-1" type units, the quality has suffered. The old jack of all trades master of none scenario.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited August 2018
    DVD-A was initially set up to be a combination audio and video medium for surround sound although it had high res two channel included. SACD included surround sound on some discs but that was never its primary mission and video output was not required to play discs.

The Technics gear above appears to be just set up for audio use. Menu navigation and access to special materials on a DVD-A disc required a video connection which is why it was built into DVD players. There were also high res DTS discs available for a short time that didn't even rely on the DVD-A standard. Blu-Ray Audio discs, which seem to have disappeared as a high res multi channel format after being out for a short time, did not absolutely need a video output for disc navigation.

It also looks like Panasonic's high end 4K Blu Ray player dropped compatibility with DVD-A, but that also won't play SACD discs but will stream DSD files!

I sometimes get the Technics and TEAC brands confused. TEAC's high end Esoteric brand has been involved with two channel SACD for a long time and they also appear to have dropped DVD-A support from their lineup to focus on two channel merits only.
  • pitdogg2
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Menu navigation and access to special materials on a DVD-A disc required a video connection which is why it was built into DVD players.
    Many DVD-A discs the only the reason for video was to select the layer 24/96 multi speaker or 24/192 two channel. Then of course some had static pictures for each song. Yes like I'm going to sit and stare at the picture through a song. It was too bad you could not tell the player to just play a certain layer boom done. I like that the OPPO players (205 anyway) plug into the two channel RCA outputs and it automatically downconverts to 2ch. no menu needed. My older uni-players (Denon 2900/3910) this feature was hit or miss on some discs.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    What is also funny about the market is Sony now supports both SACD and DVD-A playback in their latest 4K Blu Ray player. Sony would not do that for years and years with their DVD players because DVD-A (aka Panasonic) was the enemy!
  • pitdogg2
    100% i found that funny as well but then again Sony ABANDONED SACD!! WTH why? I think it is funny they have one of the largest catalogs and put out some terrible sacd's. I for one would of liked to see many more Aerosmith SACD's and there are many others.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Fantastic news and right on time. Only 5 years late!!!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    So -- I saw this thread earlier today & figured it must be a necro thread --

giphy.gif

so, I was gonna post some kind of a quip about how old these formats were... so I looked 'em up. Wiki-p sez DVD-A was introduced in... 2000.

Note that this is technically not only from the last century, it was the previous millennium. :|

I don't even think I am using a cell phone that's that old.

;)
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    100% i found that funny as well but then again Sony ABANDONED SACD!! WTH why? I think it is funny they have one of the largest catalogs and put out some terrible sacd's. I for one would of liked to see many more Aerosmith SACD's and there are many others.

Sony never abandoned SACD. In fact, of the 3 SACD pressing facilities in use in the world today, 2 of them are Sony's (in Japan and in Austria). In the US, the major music companies choose to license their music for release on SACD through 3rd party, independent music reissue labels such as Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, and until recently, Audio Fidelity. In the rest of the world, the major music companies release their SACDs directly to retailers.

Mobile Fidelity has already announced that Simon & Garfunkel's "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme" is coming on SACD soon. That's a Sony title. Analogue Productions also announced 2 Jimi Hendrix titles will show up on SACD before end of this year. Also Sony titles. I do think Sony should be releasing more SACD titles, however.

• pitdogg2
    I guess maybe i was thinking when they announced they were no longer going to make the chips in 2013 that they was no longer going to support them.
    Yes we both can agree on the last sentence Danny

• Clipdat
    Few more pics:

40826063_2300747343285192_5552299142039994368_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e5d1a2e65f336fc29ed980e2b9b07c19&oe=5C29DFB7

40802709_2300746096618650_2013353588872445952_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9d833efc2944caf686cea46649499b97&oe=5C30AAAA

40649656_2300744773285449_6240056365432176640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=84b54b8c878cec36d2fab1000eacc2fa&oe=5C32E27F
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    They've got a good look.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Sony never abandoned SACD. In fact, of the 3 SACD pressing facilities in use in the world today, 2 of them are Sony's (in Japan and in Austria). In the US, the major music companies choose to license their music for release on SACD through 3rd party, independent music reissue labels such as Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, and until recently, Audio Fidelity. In the rest of the world, the major music companies release their SACDs directly to retailers.

Mobile Fidelity has already announced that Simon & Garfunkel's "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme" is coming on SACD soon. That's a Sony title. Analogue Productions also announced 2 Jimi Hendrix titles will show up on SACD before end of this year. Also Sony titles. I do think Sony should be releasing more SACD titles, however.

I pre-ordered the Hendrix SACD's (Are You Experienced and Axis:Bold As Love). They should be here by the end of this week, I believe. I suggest everyone else order them too.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Does look cool. Like that amp also. Who doesn't like meters after all. Anyone have any first hand experience on the sound quality ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    tonyb wrote: »
    Does look cool. Like that amp also. Who doesn't like meters after all. Anyone have any first hand experience on the sound quality ?

Bite the bullet Tony, take one for the team and order one to review: https://blinkhighend.com/shop/components/technics-su-g700/
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2019
    Technics has released additional details about this player: https://www.technics.com/us/news/20190107-sl-g700/

I saw it at Axpona and briefly got to hear it playing back "Money" from the DSoTM SACD.

MSRP is $3k.

k3opdegiwbpz.jpg
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Cool, obviously SACD is great, but we need more units with Tidal support for streaming since Tidal is still being treated as a niche market.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • Clipdat
    This thing is finally out in the wild and What Hi-Fi reviewed it recently: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/technics-sl-g700
  • headrott
    Ridiculously, the Hendrix Are You Experienced SACD by Analog Productions is STILL not out. It has been delayed either 5 or 6 times (I lost count). It does say "coming December 27th" on the Acoustic Sounds web site now. I hope that's true. I also hope it was worth the wait; with Bernie Grundman mastering it, I think it will be.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    That's a really nice combo there.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • headrott
    Just checked the Acoustic Sounds web site again and the Hendrix Are You Experienced SACD now has a "To Be Announced" release date again. Who knows if/when it will be released.....
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    A rather smart looking combo in Black as well. Love me some Meters :De1tac5ufatm8.png