CSi A6 lacking punch it once had

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    What John described as potentially happening could have happened to a $5,000 center channel speaker. The price of the speaker has nothing to do with it, unfortunately.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited August 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Try setting the center to full range and see if that snap is back. Sounds like your receiver is defaulting to certain surround parameters, there should be a way to just manually tune things without having to use the mic and without saving a pre disposed setting.
    +1. have you tried fullrange?
    Tony M wrote: »
    Have you pushed gently on the woofer cones to see if they move in and out freely?
    +1
    Any chance either of your L/R or theCC are connected backwards?

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Maybe at the receiver the CC was plugged into a LF or RF output. Doubtful but just a thought. :|
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    You replaced the crossover, right? When you reassembled the speaker, did you make sure to check the phase of the drivers? Open it up and make sure that + is going to + and - is going to -.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Maybe your AVR is running out of gas. I didn't read all of the post but your original post said you added a couple of speakers no?
  • gp4jesus wrote: »
    Try setting the center to full range and see if that snap is back. Sounds like your receiver is defaulting to certain surround parameters, there should be a way to just manually tune things without having to use the mic and without saving a pre disposed setting.
    +1. have you tried fullrange?
    Have you pushed gently on the woofer cones to see if they move in and out freely?
    +1
    Any chance either of your L/R or theCC are connected backwards?

I’ve tried Full Range. The issue is no matter where the crossover is set in the receiver, the speaker does not output the range that it used to when I first got it and what it is supposed to.

All connections are where they should be. Left to left, right to right, center to center.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    You replaced the crossover, right? When you reassembled the speaker, did you make sure to check the phase of the drivers? Open it up and make sure that + is going to + and - is going to -.

The + and - connections are different size spade connectors. They could only be reconnected one way.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Maybe your AVR is running out of gas. I didn't read all of the post but your original post said you added a couple of speakers no?

Didn’t add speakers. Only upgraded my surrounds to RTIA3’s. I highly doubt a TX-RZ810 (RZ series being Onkyo’s top end. Similar to a Pioneer Elite series) would choke with just 5 speakers when it supports up to 7.2 or 5.2.2.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Have you hooked the center channel speaker up to a main left or right output speaker wire yet? That test right here will tell you FOR SURE if your woofers are blown in some way.

Also, do the woofer speakers in your center channel push in easily? I asked this before, didn't I?
  • Tony M wrote: »
    Have you hooked the center channel speaker up to a main left or right output speaker wire yet? That test right here will tell you FOR SURE if your woofers are blown in some way.

Also, do the woofer speakers in your center channel push in easily? I asked this before, didn't I?

Yes I have. Wasn’t really any different than when plugged into the center. Perhaps only very slightly louder in volume, but probably due to it being a different channel. Still lacked all punch.

The woofers can push in. How easily? I don’t know. Since I don’t know where the reference of “easy” should be. But they do push in.

Yes I have. Wasn’t really any different than when plugged into the center. Perhaps only very slightly louder in volume, but probably due to it being a different channel. Still lacked all punch.

The woofers can push in. How easily? I don’t know. Since I don’t know where the reference of “easy” should be. But they do push in.

I also want to point out that one woofer is clearly louder than the other.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471

That might be to negate comb filtering in the MTM design
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Wow, what a problem. Blown woofers with low volume usually don't move at all.

Well thanks for responding to my idea thoughts.

Have you hooked up a surround channel speaker to the center channel speaker wire from the receiver?

Next, I would take each woofer out of that center and hook that woofer to another speaker wire at low to med. volume to see what happens with that. That would be the LAST thing to do to see IF THE WOOFERS are truly the problem.

I've never heard of woofers blowing before tweeters but I'm only 61 now. I still have a lot to learn. ;)
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

So it’s by design that one driver is quieter than the other in the center channel?
  • Got my replacement drivers today and I’m still baffled. It’s maybe a hair better. The receiver wants the crossover set to 150-180 now on the CSiA6. Only a slight improvement over the 180-200, but still far off where it originally used to set it.

Also now it’s putting my RTIA3’s (my surrounds) at 40 when they’ve always been at 100 before replacing the drivers in the CSiA6 today.

The receiver is fairly new. I only bought it at the end of December. Is the receiver dying already and the culprit?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Manually change those settings, why do you keep letting the receiver do it ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »

That’s not the point. The point is where it did set things and where it sets things now. To me that’s a pretty clear indication something wrong is happening. As I’ve mentioned a couple times already, manually setting things lower doesn’t make things better and doesn’t make things sound as good as they once did or how the large CSiA6 is supposed to sound.
  • mlistens03
    edited August 2018
    Ok, I’m obviously not an expert, so bear with me. Is it possible that the tweeter is damaged, not to the point of failing, but possibly lowering the resistance? Then the receiver may try to save itself from damage by raising the crossover in order to have to not send it as much power. A lower resistance would also cause a higher efficiency as well, right? If so, then that could also be a contributing factor.
    Just my theoretical 0.02 cents.
  • pitdogg2
    Ok, I’m obviously not an expert, so bear with me. Is it possible that the tweeter is damaged, not to the point of failing, but possibly lowering the resistance? Then the receiver may try to save itself from damage by raising the crossover in order to have to not send it as much power. A lower resistance would also cause a higher efficiency as well, right? If so, then that could also be a contributing factor.

ummm NO! One the receiver is not that intelligent. Raising the crossover point in turn would send MORE to the tweeter section.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

So it’s by design that one driver is quieter than the other in the center channel?

Absolutely yes!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    At this point I believe the problem is in your AVR. Can you borrow one to see if the speakers work properly with it?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2018
    Agree. Time for a new AVR.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mlistens03

ummm NO! One the receiver is not that intelligent. Raising the crossover point in turn would send MORE to the tweeter section.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.
    I didn’t think they were that smart, but I was theorizing. Trying to find something that could possibly be wrong.
    But could you explain how there would be more power going to the tweeter section just by raising the crossover point? That doesn’t make sense to me. Do you mean relative to the midwoofer section?
    I’m not trying to be difficult, I just would like to know.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited August 2018
    Sorry being a little late to the table
    You're hearing that correctly
    That’s also correct
    Yup. Details -
    HP to tweet: 2.2kHz
    LP to one mid: -6dB @ 1.5kHz
    LP to other mid: -6dB @ 3.8kHz - will sound louder than the other b/c your ears are most sensitive to 3.5Khz. Overlap to compensate for comb filtering
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • pitdogg2
    Micah basically it's like turning your bass tone control all the way left and the treble all the way too the right. Less frequencies would be going to the mid-woofers.
  • mlistens03
    Micah basically it's like turning your bass tone control all the way left and the treble all the way too the right. Less frequencies would be going to the mid-woofers.

But shouldn’t the crossover setting for the speaker in the receiver simply cut out the frequencies below, say, 80hz? It doesn’t make sense to me that it would turn up the treble as well. I’m probably missing something.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    All the advice we told you to do DIDN'T expose your receiver being at fault?

That's hard to believe. I'm sorry!

So you got a new crossover and two new woofers. All you need now is a tweeter and a box and you's have 2 centers.

I feel that was such an obvious red flag that your receiver was sending only a signal above 180hz and it was TELLING / SHOWING you that.

Now it seems the tweeter isn't working. You want Polk Audio to send you a tweeter now?

That would be a complete rebuild.

Maybe that speaker was completely blown by some act.

I'm sorry but this has been the most unbelievable "I have a problem" thread I've seen on this forum.

It's even worse than a @polkfarmboy(?) problem thread. He had problems all the time with something or other breaking if I remember right.

I feel you could've and should've figured this problem ( which there is no problem with the center speaker at all.) out before Polk Audio sent that first replacement cross-over to you.

We told you to check your receiver's settings.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

That’s not the point. The point is where it did set things and where it sets things now. To me that’s a pretty clear indication something wrong is happening. As I’ve mentioned a couple times already, manually setting things lower doesn’t make things better and doesn’t make things sound as good as they once did or how the large CSiA6 is supposed to sound.

If that's the case, then you just solved your own problem right there.

As far as variations in the receiver setting things up....these automatic calibration programs are not gospel and they will vary some....depending. Much has to do with where the mic is set up at, ambient noises in the room at the time of calibration also. Like a furnace/a/c kicking on, maybe another appliance like washer/dryer/fridge. Footsteps, noise from pets, etc. The room has to be dead quiet, and you not in it either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
    All the advice we told you to do DIDN'T expose your receiver being at fault?

That's hard to believe. I'm sorry!

So you got a new crossover and two new woofers. All you need now is a tweeter and a box and you's have 2 centers.

I feel that was such an obvious red flag that your receiver was sending only a signal above 180hz and it was TELLING / SHOWING you that.

Now it seems the tweeter isn't working. You want Polk Audio to send you a tweeter now?

That would be a complete rebuild.

Maybe that speaker was completely blown by some act.

I'm sorry but this has been the most unbelievable "I have a problem" thread I've seen on this forum.

It's even worse than a @polkfarmboy(?) problem thread. He had problems all the time with something or other breaking if I remember right.

I feel you could've and should've figured this problem ( which there is no problem with the center speaker at all.) out before Polk Audio sent that first replacement cross-over to you.

We told you to check your receiver's settings.

I never once said anything about the tweeter not working or have I said I wanted a new tweeter. Perhaps read before accusing people of things.

The receiver is NOT only sending signals above 180. If you bothered to read (seeing a trend with you here) I tested my old center speaker that is much, much smaller and much less capable and it would set at 120. Even with the new speakers replaced in the CSiA6 it sets it at 150. Below 180.

Yes you and others told me to “check receiver settings” and I did so many of times before even posting.

Your attitude is piss poor.
  • F1nut
    I recently purchased a pair of RTIA3’s to finish off my set. When I ran my microphone setup after hooking up my 3’s my CSi A6 hasn’t been the same.

The problem is in your AVR.

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    I think some of us don’t want to go and read the thread for 20 minutes every time we open it.
    Sorry if this has been said before, but did you try setting it up again, but without the RTiA3s?
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018

How dare you. My attitude was to try and help you. How you twist that around is just like somebody caught. I suggested hooking that center channel speaker of yours to a main speaker wire. That would've proved to all of us, the speaker was fine all the time. SIMPLE deduction method that I've done for 40 years.

What does your comment in that quote above tell me?

You didn't say the tweeter was still loud and clear...did you?

Another member mentioned twice about your tweeter probably being a problem to the whole speaker too. I didn't read a response from you that the tweeter was loud and clear. I haven't re-read the whole thread, my dinner is about ready.