Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Just think, kids in the future will not get to experience the sensation of a brain freeze.

Don't know about that Jess. What we experienced was a momentary lack of brain function, these generations seems like it lasts a far bit longer. Brain freeze ? Look around, some are on permanent brain freeze.

I'm a bit disappointed my new oven didn't come with a warning label to not stick my head in it and turn on the gas. My hammer came with no such warning to keep hands clear and the tree I just planted....no such warnings about future falling branches.

Sound ridiculous ? Of course it does, as does many of the other things stated in this thread. Common sense can not be bought, it has to be taught. We are not born with it.

….and to think, we actually pay people a good chunk of coin, give them benefits and pensions, to spend their time to come up with this stuff while real problems of more grave importance go unanswered. This is why many get upset when they see time and money wasted on such things as straws. In my day, to even suggest many of the stupid laws that California has enacted already would have bought you a nice tight fitting white jacket and a rubber room.
    Worlds 6th largest economy my friend, so they must be doing something right.

3xq4tiqt49om.png
    Apples and oranges my friend

Debt per capita, or debt per dollar of resident income might be interesting ways to normalize the data... or the ever popular debt as percentage of the GDP [of the state, in this case].

On topic, debt per straw consumed per annum, might be the most telling of all in a year or two.

:|
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I'm surprised no one has taken me up on my plastic straw offer. Oh well, still on the plastic table.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    Good point! I... I got... distracted.
    You will wrap in Saran* and pack in styrofoam peanuts when you ship them, yes?

Of course.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited August 2018
    In California I can split lanes on my motorcycle. So yes, it is paradise.

Lane-splitting on a motorcycle.. You call that paradise, and I call it the fastest way to meet your maker, so paradise may be involved or not. I wish I had a nickel for every one of these idiots doing 70 mph+ in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway that goes splat against the side or back of a car, then sues the innocent car driver who never had a chance to see them. I have watched three of them go down and one was a fatality.

No problem letting motorcycles in the carpool lanes, but splitting lanes is the dumbest thing a motorcyclist can do IMHO...

Do you ride, or just mouthing off? You are witness to these lawsuits you mention? Yeah... no. Yes there are idiots and I only split where it's relatively safe like approaching a stop light. It's a great feeling to split up to the front of a long line of cars. I do it slowly.

No, I don't ride, but I do believe traffic laws should apply to anyone using public roadways. I understand that it is legal to split cars at speeds no greater than 15mph above traffic speed, and at no time faster than 35 mph. The thing is that this is abused by nearly every rider I see on a daily basis. Almost weekly in front of my house, there is a parade of 200 to 300 bikers riding in pack formation doing wheelies, headstands, burnouts, tying off lanes so they can make their donuts. Last year one of these knuckleheads broadsided a Honda and hit so hard he left a leg behind in the drivers lap and the rest spread over a hundred yards. His body came to rest across the street from my house.

On the way to work about 18 months ago, a rider on a Honda Goldwing dumped his bike at 80 mph cutting cars. He passed me on the drivers side. The minivan in front of me clipped him while trying to change lanes. He lived, but was pretty messed up.

You can call it mouthing off if you want to, but I don't have to be a rider to call it what it is... stupid. I understand you may very well be a safe rider, but is it really "safe" to maneuver your 500 pound bike, without airbags, or a safety cage, between two 4000 pound cars or a semi truck and trust that they are looking out for you when their eyes are looking at the tail lights of the car in front of them? I think not...

You must be a Harley guy... they come by here too. Usually it is around 1 in the morning, when everybody is asleep. They rev their engines to see which one is the loudest, and wake my boy up in the process. They must be trying to compensate for their other shortcomings.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    It's a great feeling to split up to the front of a long line of cars. I do it slowly.
    Do you also cut in line at the store checkout? Bank? Restroom?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mhardy6647
    It's actually worse than just the weight (mass) differential, because kinetic energy (which is what does the damage in a crash) increases with the square of velocity. A little faster means a lot more damage.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    They are moving toward banning plastic straws here in the South Carolina Low Country. You have to ask for a straw at a restaurant.
    You can't win with these people. If you replace plastic straws with paper ones, the tree huggers will complain. Unless there is an obvious problem that we can control, best to ignore the knuckleheads.

Make the straws out of a renewable paper source that is easy to grow and preps the earth for the next crop. Oh, that's right, I forgot, the tree kings got that one outlawed back in 1937. It's called hemp.

Don't get me started...................

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408

Entitlement issues?

Is your time more important than mine/everyone else?

Its great when the fire dept has to come and hose some "richard" off a tree! Always a good laugh!!!

I am glad that "you" do it safely though.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • mhardy6647
    machone wrote: »
    They are moving toward banning plastic straws here in the South Carolina Low Country. You have to ask for a straw at a restaurant.
    You can't win with these people. If you replace plastic straws with paper ones, the tree huggers will complain. Unless there is an obvious problem that we can control, best to ignore the knuckleheads.

Make the straws out of a renewable paper source that is easy to grow and preps the earth for the next crop. Oh, that's right, I forgot, the tree kings got that one outlawed back in 1937. It's called hemp.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/23/640912762/hemp-industry-turns-to-george-washington-for-help-with-its-image

Do folks still use straws to snort cocaine? :|
    I mean, that could be a problem in California, right? I guess Bic stick pen sales will skyrocket, or somethin'.
  • I don’t see any problem with lane splitting if it can be done safely at at an intersection or traffic light. The motorcyclist isn’t affecting or slowing down the other motorists if caution is taken and an appropriate speed is maintained. Actually it’s more likely to help keep traffic flowing as it’s one less car or truck taking space in a lane.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

LOL, hey....Hemp is making a comeback.

Speaking of plastics, recyclable plastics, did you guys know what we do with our recyclable plastics ?

We send it to China. We don't have the capabilities to recycle that much plastic. So in my warped mind, I think about all the diesel fuel used to compact, store, ship on freighters to China. Like spending a dollar to make a quarter, doesn't make sense to me. Creates an industry though, jobs, but from a financial sense, or a sense that your saving the planet, not so much.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited August 2018
    Manticore wrote: »

Entitlement issues?

Is your time more important than mine/everyone else?

Its great when the fire dept has to come and hose some "richard" off a tree! Always a good laugh!!!

I am glad that "you" do it safely though.

I tend to agree with this. Wait your turn, on foot, a bike, scooter, car, doesn't matter. If you want to drive like a jerk all over the road, weave in and out , park like a *****, then Europe beckons you where all that is common practice.

I'm not anti-biker either, love bikes actually, but you don't get a separate set of rules or common curtesy because you own one. Just my .02 there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    I think about all the diesel fuel used to compact, store, ship on freighters to China. Like spending a dollar to make a quarter, doesn't make sense to me...

https://youtu.be/UIKGV2cTgqA

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/23/640912762/hemp-industry-turns-to-george-washington-for-help-with-its-image

I mean, that could be a problem in California, right? I guess Bic stick pen sales will skyrocket, or somethin'.

No Doc that is why almost every bill (currency) will test positive for drug residue.

• tonyb
    edited August 2018
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Just think, kids in the future will not get to experience the sensation of a brain freeze.

Don't know about that Jess. What we experienced was a momentary lack of brain function, these generations seems like it lasts a far bit longer. Brain freeze ? Look around, some are on permanent brain freeze.

I'm a bit disappointed my new oven didn't come with a warning label to not stick my head in it and turn on the gas. My hammer came with no such warning to keep hands clear and the tree I just planted....no such warnings about future falling branches.

Sound ridiculous ? Of course it does, as does many of the other things stated in this thread. Common sense can not be bought, it has to be taught. We are not born with it.

….and to think, we actually pay people a good chunk of coin, give them benefits and pensions, to spend their time to come up with this stuff while real problems of more grave importance go unanswered. This is why many get upset when they see time and money wasted on such things as straws. In my day, to even suggest many of the stupid laws that California has enacted already would have bought you a nice tight fitting white jacket and a rubber room.
    Worlds 6th largest economy my friend, so they must be doing something right.

3xq4tiqt49om.png

Ron, did Illinois make this list ? Because I don't see my state on here, and we are as broke as Nickolas Cage and Johnny Dep together.

Motor, economy has nothing to do with stupid Nanny type laws. We as a country have one of the best economies on the planet, yet we are still broke, up to our eyeballs in debt, and still manage to pass stupid nanny type laws that accomplish nothing to address the serious problems we face. California is no different, nor is my state. Given the list presented, there is a common denominator though, if you can see it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    yep my great of Texas missed the top ten, dang! but at least we are dead last in high school graduation rates, and number one in childhood food insecurity at 4.2 million. Yes, 4.2 million children in Texas do not have regular access to food, much less healthy food. But gaddammit we are the second biggest economy in 'Murica, and we don't have debt like Kalifornia. So keep your children hungry and illiterate and you to can be debt free!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    I dunno man, the problem of hungry children and illiteracy go deeper than just throwing money at it. Many states have poor results, even when the spending per student tops out around 15-18k per year.

I would argue, it is a parents responsibility to feed their children, not the states. It is also a parents responsibility to make sure their children get educated....least to the best of their ability. The state however does bear some responsibility in providing a learning atmosphere, competent teachers, and a curriculum appropriate for each grade level.

It's a dance of 2, between parenting and public schools. Either one fails and the child suffers. We love to hold public schools accountable, as we should, but who holds the parents accountable ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited August 2018
    I'll offer up my own state as an example. Lets just take Chicago, one of the largest school districts in the country, with some of the poorest results, and they spend 16k per year per student. Probably the highest of all midwestern states. Money is no guarantee of results, and that's proven in just about every major city's public school system.

The parenting side of things though is a bit tougher. One parent households, unsupervised children, drugs, booze, gangs, all contribute to the downfall of a learning environment at home.

Like I said, it's a dance of 2, and from sitting in the cheap seats, having participated in this "system" with my own kids, a blind man can see no accountability is being given to parents. That doesn't mean I absolve the public school systems either of their responsibilities, but they can only do so much.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

No Doc that is why almost every bill (currency) will test positive for drug residue.

"They're" trying to do away with currency, too -- just sayin' ;)

I mean, can you snort dope with a Bitcoin?
    I am asking rhetorically, you do understand.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I'll offer up my own state as an example. Lets just take Chicago, one of the largest school districts in the country, with some of the poorest results, and they spend 16k per year per student. Probably the highest of all midwestern states. Money is no guarantee of results, and that's proven in just about every major city's public school system.

But Really how much of that 16K is "administration" costs ?? In some areas it is more than 50% so true dollars going to the kids is much less.

But Yes I agree with your post, I'm no where near well off, comfortable or any other words you could place there. I made sure to feed my kids, cloth my kids and other stuff before anything else. We lived very poor but happy.

pitdogg2 wrote: »

"They're" trying to do away with currency, too -- just sayin' ;)

I mean, can you snort dope with a Bitcoin?
    I am asking rhetorically, you do understand.

ummm sure Doc We wink wink understand brah really we do. :D:D:D:D:D

LMAO

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    I don’t see any problem with lane splitting if it can be done safely at at an intersection or traffic light. The motorcyclist isn’t affecting or slowing down the other motorists if caution is taken and an appropriate speed is maintained. Actually it’s more likely to help keep traffic flowing as it’s one less car or truck taking space in a lane.

Motorcycle deaths have fallen in Cali... California is the only state to legalize lane splitting, where motorcyclists can cut between lanes of traffic at speeds below 50 mph, and some bikers say motorists are paying more attention to the lanes when they drive.

On a recent trip down Highway 85, David Katinsky of Los Gatos found motorists giving him space as he split lanes on his motorcycle.

“The courtesy offered by so many drivers as I split my way down the freeway was astounding in making our journey a little safer,” he said.

Overall LEO's have said that splitting the lanes results in drivers paying more attention thus fewer deaths....but clearly not in front of Johns house.....
  • That’s funny!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    bwf688erdimv.jpg
    I'd be willing to up the ante with these here colored ones that's been collecting dust in the breakroom for the past 10 years.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    whoa!

anybody got any bendies, man?

B)
  • Aaaahhhh, vintage straws !! That would certainly add to the sweetness of this already awesome kharma !

Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    Oh man, those straws are doubly illegal, with the word "fat" on the side. You body shaming straws now ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's