new integrated amp

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited August 2018
    good thing I got my order in before they announced the U.S. distributor. the amp now goes for $2500.

demand is up for the amp, ordered mine 7/31 and it is scheduled to ship at the end of next week.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Lemme hold your wallet, Marvin!
  • marvda1
    edited August 2018
    top amp $9k 50 watt, class a/b integrated amp.
    bottom integrated amp $2.5k class a/b 200 watt.

d0cuke2f44f2.jpg

vmbvi3nifgae.jpg

top amp has two 160va transformers, bottom amp has two 300va transformers and weighs more.
    I believe the top amp is made in the us while the bottom amp is made in china.

Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    The bottom one looks so pretty I'd almost run it with the hood off!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • marvda1
    marvda1 wrote: »
    top amp $9k 50 watt, class a/b integrated amp.
    bottom integrated amp $2.5k class a/b 200 watt.

d0cuke2f44f2.jpg

vmbvi3nifgae.jpg

top amp has two 160va transformers, bottom amp has two 300va transformers and weighs more.
    I believe the top amp is made in the us while the bottom amp is made in china.
    forget the top picture, grabbed the wrong one, that's a preamp...oops :*
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    amp cleared customs in ohio today and is scheduled to deliver Thursday.
    can't wait.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ooooh! cool!
    keep us posted! :)
    and pics! We want pics!
    (well, I do, anyway.)

• marvda1
    edited August 2018
    DEAR GOD!! some of the best money ever spent.
    Puritan PSM156
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2018
    Really after a day of listening and you can proclaim that? It takes me weeks, sometimes months to analyze a new piece of gear and form an opinion.

This must be the greatest piece of audio gear since sliced bread was invented :D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • marvda1
    edited August 2018
    you mean 20 minutes. manufacturer suggests 300 hours burn in, but out the box you can tell it's something special. heavy as all get out, i'm on crutches and dhl would not take it up stairs for me, had to put it on the steps. i could pick it up and skip every other step until i got it to the top. i'll post some pictures later.

got a $2.8k Unison Research Nuovo and it's not in the same league.
    p.s, it will be up for sale shortly.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Really after a day of listening and you can proclaim that? It takes me weeks, sometimes months to analyze a new piece of gear and form an opinion.

This must be the greatest piece of audio gear since sliced bread was invented :D

Sometimes a component can make a very good first impression.
    Quad ESL-57 did that for me; I have a flashbulb memory of the first time I heard 'em... and I've never been disappointed by them, either. Ditto the Altec Duplexes.

Heck, I own a pair of both (OK, a pair of Quads and two pairs of Duplexes... but this isn't about speakers)
    ;)

I will look forward to a little elaboration on his initial impression though. :)

Kinda reminds me of Astronaut Dave Bowman's last words when he enountered the orbiting monolith.
    "The thing's hollow -- it goes on forever -- and -- oh my God! -- it's full of stars!"
    (from the book, not the movie)

65jY.gif
  • marvda1
    edited August 2018
    it has a tight grip on the bass, fast, good tonality, has detail but not the hyper type. full body piano. dead quiet background. pinpoint imaging. highs are not harsh but flowing.
    i'll write a mini review here as i am going to write a full review for alvin so he can post it on their web site.
    the bass driver in my speakers is in a sealed enclosure and the bass is tight and powerful. kinki says 300 hours to burn in, if it gets any better i may be selling off a lot of equipment.
    getting down with some buika.

fit and finish is hot, you know how us guys like to play two big knobs. thing is heavy, dhl would not bring it upstairs for me as i'm on crutches. had to put on one step at a time.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Glad that your initial impression of it is positive. When you get tired of listening to it, pop the top and take some photos!
  • marvda1
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Glad that your initial impression of it is positive. When you get tired of listening to it, pop the top and take some photos!

there are pictures of the inside at the beginning of the thread. will post unboxing pics after dinner.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    @mhardy6647 taught me that there's a difference between user-taken guts photos, and guts photos taken and provided by the manufacturer.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    i'm on crutches and dhl would not take it up stairs for me, had to put it on the steps. i could pick it up and skip every other step until i got it to the top. i'll post some pictures later.

You said you were going to post pics of you on crutches going up the stairs....where are they?

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Yeah, the DHL guy wouldn't help him carry it up the stairs, but he stood there and took pictures while Marvin struggled on crutches to carry it up. How rude.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Doing a little spec research shows a damping factor of 2000!!! That's extremely high. In fact, I cannot recall seeing a rating that high before. I might be wrong, but that seems to indicate a ton of global feedback, which is not a good thing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    Doing a little spec research shows a damping factor of 2000!!! That's extremely high. In fact, I cannot recall seeing a rating that high before. I might be wrong, but that seems to indicate a ton of global feedback, which is not a good thing.

Yes it is high - - the super-high DF was a thing in the late 1970s... I seem to recall some Soundcraftsmen amps with crazy high DF (i.e., low output impedance).

Yes it is achieved, first and foremost, by (global) NFB -- I am no fan of global NFB in general and certainly worry about poorly implemented NFB, but I think that nowadays, the better designers have a reasonable handle on proper implementation of feedback, but I do conucr that the cure can be far worse than the disease*.

One will recall the infamous Polk Cobra Cables, which presented a reactive (high capacitance) load and which could drive a marginally stable amplifier (e.g., one with too much and casually implemented NFB) into ultrasonic oscillation followed by self-immolation. :)

But high amounts of NFB aren't necessarily disastrous a priori.

I will mention, in closing, that that hack Nelson Pass :) pretty much eschews NFB in his designs.

• marvda1
    I think the highest damping I have seen on an amp is 1000.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647

Guess you need a Crown PA amp, bubeleh!

;)

• F1nut

Yep, me too. In fact, I had a Rotel with that rating. It was painful on the ears.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    unboxing pics.
    r8v9fozmgta0.jpg
    kw03i4lcha5e.jpg
    un6rh8x23xbl.jpg
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    unboxing pics.
    ost2c8ygpfhd.jpg
    6x4z6qmkyv5a.jpg
    rdktfq1pzw4n.jpg
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1

Yep, me too. In fact, I had a Rotel with that rating. It was painful on the ears.
    the kinki ex-m1 is anything but harsh or painful on the ears.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut

the kinki ex-m1 is anything but harsh or painful on the ears.

I picked up on that. B)

Purdy thing, for sure!

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647

Where's Oprah when we need her?
    You get a Crown!
    You get a Crown!
    And you get a
    Crown!

ddnvpozctybl.png
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2018

That's a pretty common side effect of lots of feedback. More than 100 is really not necessary. But it really depends on the design. More stages = more feedback to get all the stages to act nicely.

Those Crown amps have a ton of feedback and that's bad juju.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!