How My LSiM 707s Sound To Me - A Review

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited August 2018 in Speakers
Introduction

A pair of LSiM 705s were in my home theater system from April of 2017 to July of 2018.
While I was very pleased with the 705's performance for both music and movies, I never could shake the desire the compare them against the 707s. The conventional wisdom is that the 705s occupy the "sweet spot in the LSiM series, and that the 707s can sound boomy and unbalanced in some rooms. It is reasonable that the 705's smaller size would make it a much better fit for a wider range of room sizes. In my room, which measures 15' wide x 18.5' long x 12' high, the LSiM 707s had more detail, clarity, speed, dynamics, and bass refinement than the 705s.

6l4umqvoidt0.jpg
Figure 1. Side-by-side, LSiM 707 and the smaller LSiM 705.

Setup

The LSiM 707s were set up along the same toe in guides taped to the floor for the 705s. The inner edges of the 707s are 7'-8" apart and each speaker's outer rear corner is 8.5" from the rear wall. Neither speaker is close to a corner. The listener's ears are 12' from the front plane of the speakers. A center line through each speaker forms an isosceles triangle with a base length of 8.5' and sides of 14.5'. The center lines of the speakers cross at a point 1'-10' behind the listener's ears. The center line of each speaker forms an angle of 75 degrees with the triangle base. A bubble level was used to level the speakers laterally and front to back. The ceiling is 12' and there are no room treatments.

The Sound

There was some brightness and hissy sibilance on some songs, but that went away after six hours of continuous play. I was impressed with the sound staging and bass performance immediately.

Prior to critical listening, the LSiM 707s were run in with music and movies for six days straight (144 hours). I heard improvements in midrange detail, image weight, bass detail, bass speed, bass weight and bass articulation up to the third day (72 hours of continuous playback). I did not perceive further changes after the third day.

Summary of improvements over the 705s:

1. Wider and deeper sound stage. Imaging of the 705s did not extend beyond the outer edges of the speakers. The sound stage of the 707s extends 3 feet beyond the speaker outer edges. Projection from the 707's front plane was 2-4 feet depending on recording...same as the 705s. the 707's depth was 1-2 feet further back than the 705's.
2. More image weight at sides of the sound stage.
3. More clarity, detail, and bass weight and definition. Enhanced rumble and growl around bass notes.
4. More cohesive integration with the center channel speaker, which uses the same tweeter, midrange driver, and midwoofer drivers.
5. A more immersive experience with multichannel music.
6. More tactile sensation.

racpnflrrztu.jpg
Figure 2. Out with the old. I was prepared for long back and forth sessions between the 705 and 707, but the 707s quickly displaced the 705s.

nbkvuqnjyty0.jpg
Figure 3. In with the new. The LSiM 707s brought a significant level of refinement to the sound of two channel music, multichannel music, and 5.1 movie soundtracks.

Packaging

Unlike the case with my LSiM 705s, this time the dealer shipped each speaker in an outer box. The Styrofoam blocks of one speaker were cracked and busted, but the broken pieces still protected the speaker because they were held tightly in place by the shipping carton and by being taped to the sides of the plastic bag surrounding the speakers. Inside the box, the speakers were wrapped in a cloth sock and then a plastic bag.

vp2nykddfbak.jpg
Figure 4. LSiM 707 shipping boxes.

pqnk1jjbfzxl.jpg
Figure 5. LSiM 707 manufacturer's cartons.

dwp8wh4zldj4.jpg
Figure 6. Busted Styrofoam of one speaker.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!

Comments

• halen
    halen Posts: 675
    edited August 2018
    Great review.
    I am curious to know if you would trial again in a room better suited for the 705s.

I assume the 705s would perform better in a smaller overall space.
  • DarqueKnight
    As the 705s are boxed and stored, it will probably be a while before I listen to them again.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Thanks for the professional review.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • DarqueKnight
    edited August 2018
    Perhaps if you upgraded the tweeter to the world renowned SL2500, the 705's would have performed better...

Since I have a few SL2500s on hand, I'll try that mod and see how it works. However that experiment will have to wait until a future time...when I am more dedicated to audio than I am now.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I didn't like the 705s. I did and I still do. It's just that they were outgunned by the 707s...which currently sit in Polk's "flagship" position. :)
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    edited August 2018
    thanks for the review - now I'm wondering if I should have jumped on a pair when the sale was on...

Also - did you ever do a review of the 702's?
  • DarqueKnight
    Of course you should have...you could have sent them back if they didn't work out. I bought mine strictly out of curiosity.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I knew if I purchased the 705’s I would always wonder about the 707’s, that’s why I went with the 707’s despite the praise of the 705’s being a better over all speaker.
    I have had no regrets, when they opened up they superseded all my expectations, and destroyed my RTiA9’s so I am happy with the move...

Thanks for the review DK, it is nice to see one where the 707’s came out on top..
  • DarqueKnight
    But if I had bought the 707s, I would have always wondered if the 705s would be better since they are reputed to be the better overall speaker. That's why my original plan was to evaluate them both. However, I was so happy with the 705s that I put off the 707 comparison for a long time.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    In addition to these comments regarding the bass: "More clarity, detail, and bass weight and definition. Enhanced rumble and growl around bass notes." - do you feel that the bass response now extends lower and reproduces deeper frequencies than the 705s?
  • DarqueKnight
    Yes. There is also more tactile sensation due to the 707's larger drivers and larger cabinet. The specs of each are as follows:

Overall FR: 22 - 40 kHz
    3db FR: 42 - 30 kHz

Overall FR: 20 - 40 kHz
    3db FR: 38 - 30 kHz

The 707 goes a little lower in the bass range than the 705, but that's not all there is to it. Since the 707 is essentially a larger version of the 705, the 707 can reproduce the same bass frequencies with less effort and with more of the overtone structure intact.
  • DarqueKnight
    adabro wrote: »

Also - did you ever do a review of the 702's?

Not a separate review, but they are mentioned in figures 23 and 25 of this thread:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176162/downsizing-home-theater-5-1-to-3-1

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Thank you for the review. Very pro
    I sit 8’ away from my 705’s
    I would imagine 707’s would overpower in that arrangement. Otherwise I would have done the same thing when that Adorama sale came around
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Awesome and really comprehensive review :). I've only had a chance to listening to the LSiM705s which I thought were excellent. Very curious to try the big brothers now.
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    Outstanding review ..as always.
    Always good to hear from some one who actually has both sets of speakers share their experience.
    Only bad thing is that now you have my interest piqued!!
    One has to stay off these boards :smile:
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    gumbay13 wrote: »

LOL, one can only do that for so long. As it turns out, I've been off this board for some time, and now, I'm looking to see which direction to head for with my 703's and 706. After some minor research, and now this thread, I believe my direction is clear cut.

Thank you Mr. Knight, for your precision and insight!!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Wonderful review. Thanks for documenting what I 'thought' I heard. Personally, I don't think the 707s are boomy at all. At least, not to me or in my environment. They could be used for HT alone if one wished. Maybe I'm too tainted by Cerwin-Vegas during my teens.

I was satisfied, but, now you have me thinking I need to rework the jumpers.

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    gumbay13 wrote: »

LOL, one can only do that for so long. As it turns out, I've been off this board for some time, and now, I'm looking to see which direction to head for with my 703's and 706. After some minor research, and now this thread, I believe my direction is clear cut.

Thank you Mr. Knight, for your precision and insight!!

Welcome back bro!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    @DarqueKnight,

As always, a great, highly informative review.

When we attended the last Polk Fest in Baltimore, I remember listening to the 707s, which really impressed me then.

Now, I'm really curious about how you would compare their sound to the SDA SRS 1.2tls -- heavily modded, as I recall -- that it seems they replaced.

Any thoughts?
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I could be wrong but i don't believe the 707's replaced the 1.2tls at all. I remember a thread somewhere, where he was at an audio show trying to find a pair of speakers to replace or match his modded 1.2tl's and had a hard time especially at a reasonable price....once again, I could be wrong :*
  • DarqueKnight

Now, I'm really curious about how you would compare their sound to the SDA SRS 1.2tls -- heavily modded, as I recall -- that it seems they replaced.

Any thoughts?

The home theater system had heavily modified SDA SRSs. The two channel system has heavily modified SDA SRS 1.2TLs.

Regarding the comparison of sound between the SRSs and the 707s, the thing that first comes to mind is a visual analogy. With regard to front stage size, the 707s are like watching a movie on a nice 60 inch high definition display. The SRSs are like watching the same movie on a nice 100 inch high definition projection screen.

I've noticed that taller speakers have more of a "pull up" effect on a center channel located below a television. With the very tall SRSs, dialog appeared to come from the vertical center of the TV screen, even though the center channel speaker was well below the screen. With the LSiM 705s, dialog shifted to the bottom of the TV screen. With the taller LSiM 707s, the dialog shifted back closer to the screen's vertical center.

The SRSs were a good timbre match for the LSiM 706c center. The 707s are an exact match. I gave up front stage size by going to the 707s, but I gained a seamless a cohesive front stage, and tight integration among the center, front, and surround speakers.

With regard to image weight, clarity, detail, and bass performance, the 707s are closer to the modified SRSs, to the point where I don't miss the SRSs. With the 705s, I never quite "got over" the SRSs, and I would often be reminded of how something sounded with the SRSs by noting a glaring difference in the 705s sound stage size or image weight.

s7g6a75i35zo.jpg
    Home theater with SDA SRS front speakers.

3exmd15y1qc8.jpg
    Home theater with LSiM 707 front speakers.
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but i don't believe the 707's replaced the 1.2tls at all. I remember a thread somewhere, where he was at an audio show trying to find a pair of speakers to replace or match his modded 1.2tl's and had a hard time especially at a reasonable price....once again, I could be wrong :*

You are correct. Those threads are referenced below.

References

Downsizing Home Theater:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176162/downsizing-home-theater-5-1-to-3-1/p1

My Search For The "Perfect" Loudspeaker:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2406222

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2406630#
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    So whats going on with the 705's?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DarqueKnight
    Last I heard they were in their boxes enjoying their early retirement.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    @DarqueKnight ,

Thank you for both clearing up my confusion and characterizing differences and similarities between the SRSs and 707s.

It sounds like the 1.2tls would not remedy the deficiencies of the SRSs in the home theater system, although they might be stronger in areas where the SRSs bested the 707s.

Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• DarqueKnight
    edited August 2018

It sounds like the 1.2tls would not remedy the deficiencies of the SRSs in the home theater system, although they might be stronger in areas where the SRSs bested the 707s.

I agree.

If I had a dedicated theater room, I would go back to SRS fronts, dual CRS+ centers, and CRS+ surround speakers.

This will do for now.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2018
    Great read, thanks for sharing. The one and only time I've demoed the 707's was at the 2016 AXPONA show. Emotiva had a large theater demo using all LSiM speakers, and SVS subs. I thought they performed well in that application.

yog7k6fgqwuu.jpg

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • jayu969
    jayu969 Posts: 112
    Very detailed. Thanks for sharing.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Thanks for the review. I feel the same way. Mine came directly from Polk on a pallet so no styrofoam damage. They where minty mint!

Testing out ARC
    orlayekvptfi.png
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine