RIP Boston Acoustics

Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
I have fond memories of my beloved CR-8 bookshelf speakers; still don't know why I sold them. Boston also made some fine sounding component car speakers too.

"As of June 2018, Sound United had discontinued Boston shipments to its dealers without notice, effectively bringing an end to the brand."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Acoustics

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Saw this coming for a while now....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited August 2018
    in other rumor mill news...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fan-of-polk-for-life.833022/page-2#post-11860658
    Just read on a recent thread that Polk has gone outta business and stopped sending out to their dealers.

News to me.
    Thoughts?

;)
  • ^^Like it is said, fake news travels 60% faster than the truth. This should soon be all over the net.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Why bother paying for a press release when the inter web can get the news out for you instead? lol
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    ^^Like it is said, fake news travels 60% faster than the truth. This should soon be all over the net.

... and to think, I did my part to help insure that B)

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Their old car audio speakers from the "ProSeries" were highly regarded back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-mCi_nzF2M
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    SO their website is still up. Not that I really care about Boston acoustics anymore but I do have many fond memories installing their products. They did however have a high failure rate. Many times speakers right out of the box would have magnets that just came off a driver or 2.
    Their outdoor voyager series was fantastic with little issues there. It was more about their book shelf models.
    Micro 90 and all the small sat sub systems where very nice. Awesome sounding for the money. Nice subs and excellent towers back in the day. Can' speak for the more modern stuff they make now which looks like they don't do anything worth looking at anymore.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I was just cruising AK and the same thread appeared. What struck me was that Polk Audio was owned by D and M Holdings among many other audio makers. Polk in my limited knowledge of sales has to blow BA out of the water and I can't see them ditching it and for what. They used to own McIntosh but I think they regained market share so what or who would be competition. Plenty of expensive boutique brands but they don't compete I don't think. Ken might shed some light to this...
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647
    McIntosh has a rather tortuous (recent) history of ownership.
    Clarion -> D & M Holdings -> Fine Sounds SpA -> McIntosh Group (management buyout)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh_Laboratory