new integrated amp

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    edited July 2018
    here's his system.
    My sources are a Marantz Reference SA-15S2b SACD, Marantz tuner. I use Triode Wire Labs Amercian Digital power cords for the EX-M1 and the SACD player and a Zu Mission power cord for the tuner. For interconnects I use Darwin Ascension Silver ICs on the SACD player and Darwin Silver on the tuner. My speakers are JBL 4319 Studio Monitors. speaker cables are Tempo Electric speaker cables, 14 GA.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    I can't be the only one on here who likes to fondle gear from time to time.

What? Don't look at me like that!
    Why do you touch the faceplate?

• marvda1
    edited July 2018
    just look at those two big ole knobs with the inverted nipples. :p
    here is the big main thread.
    https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/kinki-studio-ex-m1-200wpc-integrated-amplifier
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    marvda1 wrote: »
    here's his system.
    My sources are a Marantz Reference SA-15S2b SACD, Marantz tuner. I use Triode Wire Labs Amercian Digital power cords for the EX-M1 and the SACD player and a Zu Mission power cord for the tuner. For interconnects I use Darwin Ascension Silver ICs on the SACD player and Darwin Silver on the tuner. My speakers are JBL 4319 Studio Monitors. speaker cables are Tempo Electric speaker cables, 14 GA.

Thanks.... the speakers were of primary interest (although one does wonder what media he used for source material... perhaps SACDs?!).
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2018
    Interesting chatter in that A-gon thread about the amp.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Looks beastly, but no pre-outs is an oversight if you ask me. No on/off switch either so it's always in stand-by mode.

I'd wait for some more reviews to come in. Some notes on dependability too. If we all had a nickel for every new product to hit the door with massive hype behind it only to find out later it was just so-so.....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Indeed. :)

FWIW, I'd be curious to know what the flat audio bandwidth is at full rated output power.
  • marvda1
    just placed my order for the amp and will be writing a review.
    Puritan PSM156
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,270
    edited July 2018
    Man, I like this. Just did a little reading/skimming. Looks like some quality parts went into it - Furutech for example.

Ever since I had a chance at a big dual-mono integrated in an HK 990 that ultimately went back due to shipping damage, though not before audition, I've had a curiosity for impactful, controlled integrateds, with nice channel separation designs and big toroids. That 990 did things to speakers that I hadn't experienced before.

I typically prefer warmer sounding, but that's just because I was scarred by RTi10ss early on in my audio journey. This sounds like a nice balance.
    From the review on 6Moons
    The Ex-M1 is silky smooth, not warm, fast as hell, its overall macro-dynamics give a powerful presentation, there is no noise therefore it is extremely detailed but not analytical, colours are true to life and the bass control is iron-fisted. It also develops an excellent soundstage with precise placement of the players on the stage. I refer to this sound as the "Swiss-European" taste: clean, clear, accurate, coming right up to the point without crossing it of being analytical/electrical sounding. Listeners with this taste will love this integrated. It also would be a great amplifier to power a speaker that is somewhat slow and lacking in speed as it would infuse life into a system lacking it."

Curious to hear your impressions with this one, Marvin.

I like the simple presentation, as well. This is something I used to hate about my B&K stuff, but quickly grew to appreciate.
    0wke9820oelo.jpg
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • marvda1
    edited July 2018
    was reading one guy's review from 7/5 and he said the gain was a little high and the upper midrange needed smoothing out some and the amp would be a steal.
    plus he said kinki was to provide a resistor kit to lower the gain.
    guess what, at the end of his review he said kinki had fixed the gain problem and smoothed the upper midrange on all future amps.

talk about fast response to customer feedback.
    msg, where are you located?
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    edited July 2018
    msg wrote: »
    Btw, I've just become certified as a US Repair Center.
    I got a sack of Kinki Nuts and ready to dole them out.

Here's a photo of my first repair.
    znzzswz0hnz2.jpg

what was the problem with the amp ?
    i've got a full tube dac to warm it up.
    Puritan PSM156
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^it was missing a kinki nut?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • marvda1
    found out what kinki means.
    Kinki is the English name of the designer's soul partner.
    Puritan PSM156
  • msg
    What are the blue caps? I've seen those before in other equipment, like DACs. Is that some sort of shielding?

(Virginia Beach, Marvin, but was just kidding around about the Certified Repair Center. All I can really do is make bad Photoshop jokes)
    I disabled signatures.
  • marvda1
    edited July 2018
    if you mean the four on each side, I read somewhere that they are the same caps used by a real expensive amplifier manufacturer.
    if you mean the two blue things on the center circuit board, they are power supplies.
    Puritan PSM156
  • msg
    Yeah, the two on the center board. Power supplies. Do the covers offer shielding of some sort?
    I disabled signatures.
  • marvda1
    don't know, I had a belles preamp that had two of them in it. think they stay on to power the display and remote
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2018
    je09fj1qhyxf.png

They appear to be (toroidal) transformers; dual 115V primaries. One has dual 12V secondaries, the other dual 15V secondaries.

I cannot quite read the power ratings but they appear to be low power (i.e., maybe, as surmised, for display and idle functions); looks like maybe 12.5 VA (= 12.5 watts, if the power factor is 1)?

• marvda1
    can't wait now! this is the follow up to a review by the guy on audiogon who bought one of the amps.

The unit continues to break in fine. The base is deepening as already reported, and the music has a propulsive quality, making it hard to keep one's limbs still. If this is PRAT, then the Kinki has it in SPADES.

It's a bit strange to hear things done differently as the tonal balance coupled with the complete stage rendering has shifted some of the prominence of certain instruments and vocals accordingly.

Instruments on the extreme sides of the stage are now, properly louder but not overbearing. Things that had a bigger perspective in or near the center have, but not all the time, taken a step or two back but with more focus and image specificity. Layering is first rate as well, when it's recorded that way.

Over the last two days I've been transfixed in my listening seat and simply and pleasantly, subtly, stunned by what's transpiring. I even went and did something I shouldn't have and bought some new speaker cables on a lark. Now I have two items to break in but the pairing is most copasetic. They are like an appendage of the EX-M1 instead of an add on to be judged independently. I've never experienced such a level of image focus before.

It's too early to say anything final but I'm keeping the cables. Just like the Kinki, they're reasonably priced, if not a bargain, for what the level they perform on. It's another example of you don't know what you're missing until you hear it.

All the best.
    Nonoise
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    was reading one guy's review from 7/5 and he said the gain was a little high and the upper midrange needed smoothing out some and the amp would be a steal.
    plus he said kinki was to provide a resistor kit to lower the gain.
    guess what, at the end of his review he said kinki had fixed the gain problem and smoothed the upper midrange on all future amps.

talk about fast response to customer feedback.
    msg, where are you located?

for the gain problem they added a high/low gain switch on the rear.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    What are the speaker cables that he bought? Might be worth asking, if he just figured out a potential nice synergy.

This sounds like a nice integrated from the descriptions I'm reading. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it Marvin!
    Over the last two days I've been transfixed in my listening seat and simply and pleasantly, subtly, stunned by what's transpiring. I even went and did something I shouldn't have and bought some new speaker cables on a lark. Now I have two items to break in but the pairing is most copasetic. They are like an appendage of the EX-M1 instead of an add on to be judged independently. I've never experienced such a level of image focus before.

It's too early to say anything final but I'm keeping the cables. Just like the Kinki, they're reasonably priced, if not a bargain, for what the level they perform on. It's another example of you don't know what you're missing until you hear it.

All the best.
    Nonoise

• marvda1
    Cabledyne Silver Synergy speaker cables
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Nice, they aren't excessively priced!
  • marvda1
    asked him about the high gain and new speaker cables.

The gain is high, comparatively speaking, but I now enjoy not having to crank things up to hear them. Also, with 256 steps, each @ .5db, I can finely tune things, sometimes from track to track. I find this most useful and wonder why no one else has done this by now. The volume reacts almost instantaneously to inputs and I've gotten really good at nailing the desired setting. Having written this, I don't see why someone would complain unless they're not used to it.

As for my new speaker cables, they're the Cabledyne Silver Synergy speaker cables. Like my Tempo Electric SCs, they use silver conductors but that's about where the similarity ends.

The Synergy are 12 GA, four nines, stranded silver and cryo'd, whereas the Tempo are 14 GA, four nines, solid silver. Where the Tempo are in oversized Teflon tubing and use a gentle twisting to alleviate interference, the Synergy use a high purity copper weaved braiding for the entire length and call it a non electrical shield, chichis over their own, oversized tubing. They say you can see the improvement on an O scope. Also, the Tempo use bare ends and the Synergy use 24K gold plated BFA bananas that are some of the tightest I've ever encountered when making a connection.

Apparently that shielding goes a long way towards presenting the most tightly focused imaging I've heard. They're coming along nicely and now have equal base footing with the Tempo but have much better definition. They also quelled what I felt to be some glare on a certain singers voice that at times made me wince. Now it just show off her pipes as she effortlessly scales the SPLs.

That extreme focus, without etch or hype, allows me to see much further into the soundstage's nether regions. It's so relaxed and effortless in it's execution but not at the expense of highlighting a thing. It's just all laid bare to be heard.

I like them so much that I just ordered two sets of their Synergy RCA ICs to see how they fare against my more expensive Darwin ICs, which aren't shielded. I say that as all the cables at Cabledyne have that copper shield on them. Some say that ICs don't benefit that much from shielding but behind my rack it's like a rat's nest of criss crossing cables (most at right angles) so I'm eager to see if I can accrue more of a benefit from the design. Again, the speaker cables seem to be a match made in heaven for the EX-M1.

All the best,
    Nonoise
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    edited August 2018
    If I ordered this bad boy I'd want to see if they could make the front panel just flat aluminum instead of the textured ocular migraine inducing finish shown in the photos.

Or better yet, an anodized black faceplate instead of the silver! :love:
  • marvda1
    Hey David,

Here's the "field report" comparing the Kinki EX-M1 to the latest generation T+A integrated amplifier.

My assumption that the EX-M1 would come very close to the performance of the vastly more expensive German built T+A piece was incorrect. The T+A reference was clearly superior in the following areas:

1) An even higher level of transparency that allowed more of the micro-details to be easily heard.

2) The size of the sound-stage was not that different, but the air between players and how 3D the images were was at a higher level.

3) There was a purity/finesse to the overall presentation that was more effortless with the T+A.

4) Ezra and Allen would disagree on this last point, but I did not hear that much of a difference in bottom end control or extension between the two integrated amplifiers.

So, this does not change my position regrading the excellence of the Kinki EX-M1 overall and to match its performance you would have to spend a lot more money. However, in this comparison you could clearly hear what another $18000.00 gets you into a qualitative higher level of performance.

Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »
    If I ordered this bad boy I'd want to see if they could make the front panel just flat aluminum instead of the textured ocular migraine inducing finish shown in the photos.

Or better yet, an anodized black faceplate instead of the silver! :love:
    [emphasis added]

Textured ocular migraine... finish.

I love that! Man, you could write advertising copy!

:)

PS These last posts have me wonderin' whether there will be folks running $6k cables with this $3k amplifier.

PPS As far as a black finish, I'd suggest a rattlecan of black paint, but we all
    know
    how danged hard that stuff is to find.
  • marvda1
    $2200 amp
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    $2200 amp

Right, sorry! I was too lazy to go back & look. I remembered the currency issue, but forgot which was which.