The Tale Of 3 Tweeters

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Thanks Ken, but my questions about the RTA 8TL were not addressed. Specifically:

1. Why did the RTA 8TL become a "TL" speaker with the SL2500 (rather than SL3000) tweeter, while the Monitor II series speakers with the SL2500 tweeter did not carry the "TL" designation.

2. Why was the SL2500 used in the RTA 8TL, whereas all other "TL" speakers in the RTA and SDA series used the SL3000?

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You really are delusional.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    I've sent this thread to Stu...
  • DarqueKnight
    edited July 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I've brought this point up before regarding the information in the TL brochure saying that the drivers were also tri-laminate and I was told that it was a marketing error or something like that. And that it was only the tweeters that were tri-laminate.

Stu Lumsden just posted in another thread, so maybe he can clear this up. :)

I have marketing brochures from 1985 to 1990 that mention Tri-Laminate drivers. That's a long time to publish a "marketing error". Further, the drivers are tri-laminate: paper cones with two different polymer layers.

I think whoever you spoke to meant that the "TL" designation in a speaker's name only referred to the Tri-Laminate tweeter.

I still have the eight SL3000 tweeters I took out of my SDA SRS 1.2TLs. I'll pop three of them into my LSiM 705s and LSiM 706 to see how they sound.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Would that make them 705tl's ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    edited July 2018
    a tri-laminate ring radiator silly..... no cap needed just toss it in the hole :p

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DarqueKnight
    edited July 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Would that make them 705tl's ? :)

Of course. Absolutely. Plus, "705TL" sounds way cooler.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Hmmm.....I know a set of Bose 901's that could use a good TL'ing.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    SoundMann1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Key words,
    the best thing to do would be to slightly modify the crossover to fit the tweeter to whatever speaker you are updating

Just accept the fact that I have totally OWNED you on every level!

3l9bjoey15b7.png

• tonyb
    I first clicked on this thread thinking there might be a pic of something fun to dance with......I was wrong. :)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I put the TL tweeters in my car, replacing the factory tweets.

I now have a VW GTi-TL..............vroooom, vroooom

I thought Mazdas went vroom, vroom. ;)

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

That's Zooom, Zooom for Mazda.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    I first clicked on this thread thinking there might be a pic of something fun to dance with......I was wrong. :)

I can't offer anything fun to dance with, but I can offer something fun to listen to. All this talk of TL tweeters got me to thinking of ways I could repurpose the SL3000 TL tweeters taken out of my SDA SRS 1.2TLs. One pair of SL3000s is going in my Polk Ultrafocus 8000 headphones.

I am excited about finishing my Ultra Focus 8000TL headphones. Preliminary listening trials have been most gratifying and encouraging. The improvement in high frequency detail and clarity have been borderline magical.

How did you come up with the name Ultrafocus 8000? Clearly in your photo there's a a pair of SL3000's, but that only adds up to 6000. Are you installing a SL2000 as a center channel?

8000 was an arbitrary number that was created by the sub committee to the sub committee on committee sub arbitrarily coming up with designations committee.

I thought it was determined by the fraternity of the TRI-LAM's

ob1e8lo20ibd.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Those dudes are sketchy Ron... :D:D
  • mhardy6647

That's Zooom, Zooom for Mazda.

Vroom, Zoom, Schmoom.

;)
  • mhardy6647
    hmmm -- maybe I was thinking of Voom.

mi774v5q575o.png

3a7yimf7bw0y.png
  • tonyb
    fraternity of the TRI-LAM's...….LMFAO !!!!!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited July 2018
    I can't offer anything fun to dance with, but I can offer something fun to listen to. All this talk of TL tweeters got me to thinking of ways I could repurpose the SL3000 TL tweeters taken out of my SDA SRS 1.2TLs. One pair of SL3000s is going in my Polk Ultrafocus 8000 headphones.

I am excited about finishing my Ultra Focus 8000TL headphones. Preliminary listening trials have been most gratifying and encouraging. The improvement in high frequency detail and clarity have been borderline magical.

And I thought you were smart (see I didn't use that word), you did it ALL WRONG. You need to replace the foam around the tweeters with the head phone covers because the foam has aged and needs to be replaced. Good foam would have been too expensive. Headphone padding is the best because ITS DESIGNED FOR THE EARS. Tweeters HAVE to be used in a speaker enclosure. They need the volume of the cabinet space to sound good. Using the padding will give the tweeters Ultra Focus, resulting in superb imaging and clarity, you will be able to see the sound better.

As a bonus the padding also blocks the light from reflecting off the domes. While I think the tweeters look cool, at night they remind me of the movie Alien and sometimes alien eyes, and gives me nightmares. They should not be used in home theater applications for this reason.

As for the headphones, cut the end of a SOLO cup, and yes it MUST be a SOLO, its been tested as the only one that works. Divide the SPL of the headphones by 8. This is the length in mm you need from the bottom. Get the hard plastic red straw from a slushie or a good malt shop. Cut of an 8mm long piece. Poke a hole in the bottom of the cup to fit the straw and seal it up. This will dramatically amplify and improve all the sounds buy tunneling the sound right to your ear and we all know how putting a cup to a wall amplifies the sound on the other side of the wall.

There is no need for electronic sound cancelling either. The electronics modify and destroy the original sound. Wrap the outside in a good thick shag carpet with fine fibers and a mixed knit to block out the widest range of frequencies. It must cover the entire outside to be effective. Carpeted rooms are MUCH quieter than hard wood floors.

Do NOT use carpet padding in headphone applications. According to the state of California, carpet padding contains toxic chemicals, which when in contact with the skin can cause irritation, and nervous system damage, along with other harmful effects.

:D
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2018
    Coming soon, Ultrafocus 8000 Headphone Brackets, specially designed for the user in mind, because your RDO/SL Tweeters deserve the very best...

Also coming later in the year, the one everybody has been waiting for, The highly anticipated MW Bracket that mounts directly to the top of your head using your favorite MW Driver from Polk, it will work in conjunction with the very popular Ultrafocus 8000 Headphones. Each bracket will come with a clip for the 5.8uf capacitor from Sonicap if the user decides to take these to the next level for the TL version (I highly recommend this mod)..

We are also working on the very first clip on Dreadnought, details coming soon..

Be prepared to shock your friends and family...
  • mhardy6647
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Coming soon, Ultrafocus 8000 Headphone Brackets, specially designed for the user in mind, because your RDO/SL Tweeters deserve the very best...

Also coming later in the year, the one everybody has been waiting for, The highly anticipated MW Bracket that mounts directly to the top of your head using your favorite MW Driver from Polk, it will work in conjunction with the very popular Ultrafocus 8000 Headphones. Each bracket will come with a clip for the 5.8uf capacitor from Sonicap if the user decides to take these to the next level for the TL version (I highly recommend this mod)..

We are also working on the very first clip on Dreadnought, details coming soon..

No mention of Alexa? I am shocked. Shocked.

l5jvntt8y6bq.png
  • Toolfan66

l5jvntt8y6bq.png

I’m not able to share more than I already have!!

• mhardy6647

l5jvntt8y6bq.png

I’m not able to share more than I already have!!

Say no more.
    We'd hate to lose you.
    This conversation never happened.
This discussion has been closed.