Laid off

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Sorry, I know it sucks. Been there but if I can get through to a better place so can you.
    Hang in there!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That's 60 days you don’t have a better job.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's 60 days you don’t have a better job.

It’s also a 30 day paid vacation to find that new, better job. I doubt the job market will fluctuate much in 60 days. I would be inclined to take the work...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Went thru this exact same thing where we were asked to train our replacements as no one else was certified to....but it was another 6-8 weeks of work so all took the offer and all found jobs within 4 weeks...best of luck in the search I know I am happier where I am now and well taken care of
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Clipdat wrote: »
    A heartfelt thank you to everyone who took the time to reply with well wishes, positive sentiment, and encouragement. I sincerely appreciate it. The past few days have been a bit of a whirlwind, but being able to sit down tonight and read through all the replies is helping to clear my head. Once again, my sincerest thanks.

I've found out that my employer would like to keep our team on staff for the next 60 days, so that we can assist with "transitional work". I'm assuming that means to train our replacements basically. If we sign an agreement stating that we will, they said they would give us a "retention bonus" of one week's pay for every two weeks worked over the course of the next 8 weeks.

My colleague is having a lawyer review the agreement tomorrow, but it seems like an OK deal I suppose. Just feels a little weird for them to be saying "You're job is over", and then "but wait, we desperately need your help still!".

Anyway, thanks again for all the support. I think that in the big picture, this will all work out for the best! Everything happens for a reason, right?

Man...I smell H1b...I'd tell them to screw themselves..there is just too much out there now...unlike it was about 4-6 years ago...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    What's H1b?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I would take the work too, just to have that income unless you have enough saved up that you don't care.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2018
    ^^NotaSuv,,,,,,so true, my boss @ Westinghouse Electric Corp from 30 years ago, was hired by the company I work for now. I have been here for 21 years. Guess what, he is now my new boss.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Just realized I forgot to reply to this. I'm in the IT field, located in California.
    Sorry to hear bud, may I ask what you did or have experience in? Do you happen to be in Texas or Arizona? My company is hiring like crazy, we have a great work environment and growing year after year. We are in the Online Education field so lots of different positions open.

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited July 2018
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    [

Man...I smell H1b...I'd tell them to screw themselves..there is just too much out there now...unlike it was about 4-6 years ago...

Problem now a days is you really need to watch the bridges you burn as with companies buying companies daily you never know who your next boss might be...

[/quote]

Well..the way I see it..the only problem is if you are willing to let them exploit you at your expense...If you are really good in your field..have a strong network and contacts..you wouldn't care...you would walk and make your way..
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Tony M
    May the light of the burning bridges light my way forward.

If your looking back, your looking in the wrong direction.

Authors unknown.

Again, what is H1b?
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    In IT as well what is your area of expertise and where in CA. PM if you like.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2018
    I'm sorry to read this Clip, I've been through it myself. Take that extension, COBRA is very expensive! Update your resume and start looking. Being in IT should help get you another job quicker than most since everything is run by computers these days.

Oh and TOTALLY ignore the fools that are telling you to burn bridges, you might find yourself on that bridge again some day and you want the keeper of it to remember you in a good light!

Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tony M
    edited July 2018
    Pour as much gas on that bridge as you can when it's over. I'm not saying to flip the bird to the CEO or cuss out people when you leave.

I just knew when I left or they let me go, there was NO returning. BUT one time I let my thin wallet tell me to return to work for one man. That man screwed me out of 1000.00 for a job I finished for him so he could rent a house. I wanted him to sign a contract. He abruptly said no to signing one and said I haven't screwed you before have I?. I thought yea, you did, but I assumed a payment before venturing across country would be more than 200.00 for 7 days of driving a truck without a working window and having to sleep in the truck one of those nights. I've worked mainly for little one man owned Companies. They made millions off of my labor and skills. But the big BIG companies with branches across the USA, I've only worked for 2. I didn't burn the bridge. They led me to the street and the psyco Forman of one and the jealous and envious management of the other, it was obvious.

They've used you and don't need you anymore or want you. If you can't burn bridges, your options for employment must be so limited, it's pathetic. Don't call me a fool Cathy! You don't know squat about my employment skills and talents and how I made Co.s grow tremendously. Or how my contacts with previous companies heard about my demise and called me within a day or two, or the one I went to and in 3 hours of being terminated, I was working for him at that small family owned business. That employment is another BIG story you couldn't even comprehend what I did. You wouldn't have lasted 4 hours doing what I did for a year. Have you been instrumental in growing a company or two or more? Or have you just filled a spot that millions could fill easily. Therefore, you'd be thanking them for employing you all the while they're kicking you out the door and out to your car knowing they'll never employ you again if they can help it.

Unless the people write an outstanding letter about how sorry they were to let you go and will miss your services tremendously, Burn the bridge.

Just do it silently and look forward always.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Same thing here two years ago. Got outsourced to HP and they shipped the jobs
    to India. Customers didn't think much of that. I's a lot less stressful where I'm at now.
    I'm not working 24 hours straight or working all weekend any more..
    Time to find that perfect fir. Look forward and don't look back.
    I'm sure karma will catch up to the guys offshoring jobs.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Clipdat, having survived 30 plus years of layoffs in corporate IT, I can now say surviving was the worst thing that happened to me. You will be much better off at your next company that wants to hire you and have you as an employee! Everyone I worked with that got laid off is now better off now than they were! Burning bridges says a lot about character, take the high road IMHO. BTW, I recently retired before they could get me!!!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Tony M wrote: »
    Burn the bridge.

Just do it silently and look forward always.

Lol, I'm pretty sure folks here have different ideas of what it means to burn bridges.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Same thing here two years ago. Got outsourced to HP and they shipped the jobs
    to India. Customers didn't think much of that. I's a lot less stressful where I'm at now.
    I'm not working 24 hours straight or working all weekend any more..
    Time to find that perfect fir. Look forward and don't look back.
    I'm sure karma will catch up to the guys offshoring jobs.

Yeah HP, don't get me started on them book cookers.

I am currently looking for another job, My job is safe for now but no pay raise in 7 years it's time to go. I've had a few interviews and one very low offer. It will come sooner or later. Warehouse manager with 30 years experience and a Federal Public Trust security clearance it will come.

As for burning any bridges nope not happening here. Never know in 6 months they might ask for me back at more pay. I like my job and people I work with. Just the parent companies from HP on have SUCKED!
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited July 2018
    Yeah some guy did that at my employer and ended up coming back. He sent a mass email slamming the company. Now he's known as that guy who sent the email. Not that it doesnt suck, but thats employment at will. Focus your energy on the next, better opportunity.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Drew as we chatted offline I just wanted to affirm my condolences and add to the support and well wishes here.

I’m reminded of the dark days of the automotive industry in the early/mid 2000’s. Today is a totally different environment. Everyone’s hiring, can’t find enough talent, offers abound.

My point is that every industry is cyclical. Ups and downs. The IT renaissance is coming for US citizen IT professionals like yourself. Even regionally you see it. In the metro Detroit area I see it. Everyone seems to be hiring here.

The key is filling the gap in the short term. Take care of your family. Take the retention bonus opportunity but do not take your foot off the gas in finding the next great job. Lots of work, almost like working 2 jobs, but it will pay off.

You are a very talented and detailed person. IT personified. You will rebound, and be better off.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You guys are putting the cart before the horse here. First things first....remove the second word of your thread title and go for the first. Then chill for a bit and take some advice given. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I've found out that my employer would like to keep our team on staff for the next 60 days, so that we can assist with "transitional work". I'm assuming that means to train our replacements basically. If we sign an agreement stating that we will, they said they would give us a "retention bonus" of one week's pay for every two weeks worked over the course of the next 8 weeks.

If your company is big and laying off 20% of its workforce I am pretty sure everyone gets 2 months pay under the WARN notice. So you have 2 months of pay coming at minimum and then maybe severance. Most companies just tell you to leave when you are laid off. But you still get paid for the next two months.

You need to see the details of this transitional work. Sounds like if you do this you will get an additional few weeks pay but at 1/2 of your salary. You need to decide if its worth it to you.

Most of the people at my old job told them to stick it.

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    The future is ahead of you in a great time to secure a greater position!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Clipdat
    edited August 2018
    The higher ups called me into a meeting at 4:30pm today, (seriously who schedules a meeting at 4:30pm?) and told me that they now want me to stay on until November 30th. With the same "extra week's pay for every two weeks worked" deal that I'm currently doing.

I told them I'd get back to them.

What the hell? From the short discussion I had with them after this offer, it's abundantly clear that they have no transition plan in place and are completely flailing and flopping around like a fish out of water in terms of how they're going to accomplish the transition.

Do I really want to stay on to hold their hand and spoon feed them for 5.5 weeks worth (September 15th to November 30th is 11 weeks) of extra pay? My gut says it's not worth the money.
  • Clipdat
    edited August 2018
    Also since I have no shame, and to further put the situation into perspective, 5.5 weeks work equates to roughly $5k after taxes.

That's not even enough for a Pass Labs integrated.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Unless you have another job to step into, you would be smart to stay. Money is money, you have to use common sense. Your pride and ego will NOT pay the bills.

You have no idea how long it is going to take you to get another job. for a good many people it can take a year or more, and unemployment payments are tiny compared to what you are making right now so you better have enough in the bank to get you through.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tony M
    I'd keep making the EXTRA BONUS money until the job runs out.

You're now making more than you would have before the announcements. I'd be happy as can be to have it extended even longer. Heck, they might offer you a permanent job again after November with the higher pay implemented. :p
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I was in this same situation about 18 months ago. The closer it got to the end date the more control I had in the situation.

Strange thing is that I still work for them in a higher position with a very good future plan.

You never know how these things will play out. I would stick it out to the end. But I would be looking for a job during that time. If something comes up then take it. If not see how things progress.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables