ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature Pre

I bought this from jetmaker737 here on the forum. Thanks Rick!

As many have said a tube pre with ss amp is a great combo so now my journey continues with tubes. BTW I know zero about tubes except they get hot.

Away I unpacked it, installed the tubes and powered it up with no problems. While I had the cover off I Dynamated it.

I did not get a good listen the first night so Tuesday night I sat down and began to play some familiar tunes.

Wow! The first thing that popped into my mind is it is very dynamic and is so at low or high volumes. Great imaging with a very natural sound with no fatigue. I played Abby Road at a decent volume and it really set me back in my seat! I am sure this is going to be fun!

One thing is there is more noise than I am used to hearing through my system. The Hafler 110 pre is totally silent and the ModWright has some hum/hash. Is this normal for this unit or could it be tubes?
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    My tube pre has some hiss as well. I think it just comes with the territory. The key thing is as long as it is not present when the music is actually playing. It bothers me a bit but once music is playing it is not noticeable
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited March 2018
    One thing you could check for hum is chassis ground. I purchased my first ModWright SWL 9.0 SE used. It had a hum. I contacted the seller and he was very apologetic. Claimed he forgot about it. He used a cheater plug to lift the ground when he first got it.

I called Dan and he suggested I check the chassis ground. He said some of the pre's were assembled without the powder coat being ground off where the ground wire attached to chassis. This was at the IEC plug. IIRC they had the ground between the IEC and chassis? I ground the powder coat off, reattached ground/IEC and it was totally quiet after that. Worth a look.

Of course power down, remove power plug before checking. ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Tube Gear and Tubes "can" be noisy, nature of the Beast. I always Mute my Preamp between tracks or changing sources.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    One thing you could check for hum is chassis ground. I purchased my first ModWright SWL 9.0 SE used. It had a hum. I contacted the seller and he was very apologetic. Claimed he forgot about it. He used a cheater plug to lift the ground when he first got it.

I called Dan and he suggested I check the chassis ground. He said some of the pre's were assembled without the powder coat being ground off where the ground wire attached to chassis. This was at the IEC plug. IIRC they had the ground between the IEC and chassis? I ground the powder coat off, reattached ground/IEC and it was totally quiet after that. Worth a look.

Of course power down, remove power plug before checking. ;)

Interesting.
    I contacted ModWright and Dan responded with two things.
    1. It could be time for tubes.
    2. It could be an internal ground issue.

Thanks scomp
    Either way I will find it and yes I will disconnect power :s
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    This preamp continues to impress!! I will give details later.

I have done some troubleshooting to find the source of the hum. Mind you it is slight but I can hear it from my seating position without music.

1. I tried a 2 conductor power cable without safety ground and the same.
    2. I changed the tubes and the same.
    3. I disconnected all sources and the same.

So last night I used a paper towel tube to see if the hum was localized to one driver and found that it is not coming from the tweeters or stereo drivers but it is coming from the sda drivers. So I disconnected the SDA cable from the Dreadnought and the hum stopped. I don't remember this as an issue with the Hafler pre so why with the ModWright? Magnetic field of the ModWright interfering with the Dread? Maybe tonight I will move the Dread to a different position.

You guys ever run into this before?

q05byzr0uwpr.jpg
    1q16spc502xa.jpg

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That is a strange one. I don't think the Dreadnought is close enough to your pre amp for that to be the issue, but try moving it anyway.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited March 2018
    I think it depends on the tubes you have. I use some 40’s RCA grey glass 6SN7’s and they are dead quiet, you have to put your ear an inch from the tweeter to hear anything. I also have some 59 Sylvania GTB tubes and you can hear hiss from my seat, compared to the exact same tubes from Baldwin (screened for organ use) are as quiet as the RCA’s, not to mention I like them better, and they were dirt cheap, like 100 bucks for 5 NOS matched set.

I haven’t had an SS pre in so long, I really can’t remember how quiet they really are.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Be careful if you have any streamers or WiFi related components near your pre, I recall my EE minimax had hum when in the proximity of my Auralic streamer!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• machone
    Thanks guys.
    I will move the dreadnought and cables to see if it has an affect.
    Strange to be isolated to the SDA circuit :|
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Ok the hum is not just in the sda circuit. It is in the stereo drivers also but very faint. If I hook up the Halfer pre the hum is still there in the same proportions stereo to sda but barely perceptible and a non-issue.
    So for whatever reason the modwright has more hum. The hum does not change with volume.
    BTW moving the dreadnought had no affect on the hum.
    Try another set of tubes?
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    try disconnecting and reconnecting all your rca cables.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Try what SCompRacer suggested.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    I'm glad you got that fixed! The pre never gave me any hum but as I said in our PM's this unit was boxed and moved when I relocated to a different state. I never thought to test it prior to sale. So maybe between my move and shipping to you it got jarred and brought the issue out. Again, glad to see it's all fixed!
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • machone
    kevjpc5kbb6r.jpg

I have been enjoying the Modwright!

I am using inputs for:
    1. CD
    2. Tuner
    3. TV
    4. Blueray
    5. Phono pre from the Hafler (to be replaced in the future).

Yes, five because the monitor can be used as the fifth input.

I am currently using two GE 5687 tubes and a fat base Great Britain F31 5AR4 Mullard rectifier. BTW I don't know jack about tubes except they really get hot!

Anyway it sounds great. I needed a good power cable so I built some DIY cables using VH Audio recipes. I used my Hafler 500 amp to burn in the preamp cable and to my surprise it bested the cable I have been using for a couple of years so I built another PC for the Hafler 500.

lz6hrr3424b7.jpg

Now that the cables are settling in I decided to pull out my IFI Purifier2 and give it a try. I took it off the system last year when I was installing four dedicated 20 amp circuits.

n7ugy1r4k88s.jpg

The IFI is inserted at the DAC end of the USB cable coming from the computer and plugged into the Marantz. Now that I have a more resolving system the IFI is very noticeable. I have switched back a forth with and without it in the system and with it the bass is tighter and the background is blacker. Voices are very natural and everything seems smoother but also faster. I think it is staying.

Hey Skip, the IFI Purifier2 is one piece that would be a great candidate for a trial. It is only a little over $100 and is easy to ship and trial. I believe a lot of you guys might find it worth the listen.

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    @machone

I had three pairs of tubes with my ModWright modified Sony NS9100ES:
    • Tung Sol 5687
    • Amperex 7119
    • GE 7044

My favorites were the Amperex 7119.

You don't have a lot of choices for rolling tubes but that may be a good thing.

Enjoy!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    So how do you actually ground it with that auxiliary lug? Are you just running a wire to some other piece of gear?
    I disabled signatures.
  • machone
    It's just grounded inside the case for now but
    I was moving the ground anyway so I made sure I could add a wire to the outside to tie into another piece of gear in the future.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Just rolled tubes.
    Got a pair of 5687 military Raytheon bronze plates from Brent Jessee.
    Sweet!

ufgc7agpt2of.jpg
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    machone wrote: »
    Just rolled tubes.
    Got a pair of 5687 military Raytheon bronze plates from Brent Jessee.
    Sweet!

ufgc7agpt2of.jpg

boy the boxes look great... how about a picture of the tubes :D
  • machone
    Fake Tubes.............
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited July 2018
    Love the Z.Z. Top photo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • machone
    decal wrote: »
    Love the Z.Z. Top photo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Macon Ga back in the early 70s.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    "Got a pair of 5687 military Raytheon bronze plates from Brent Jessee."

I so I have been burning in these new tubes.

Initially I liked what I heard but as they burned in I lost the emotional connection with the music. Imagining was ok but that special air, focus and depth just was not there.

While listening to the beginning of DSOTM I noticed the heart beat was muddied. So I decided to move the speakers away from the wall 1" and bingo the magic is back in spades!

I guess the new tubes have better bass performance and the muddied bass was masking the overall system.

I went from wondering if I was going deaf to beautiful music! B)

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited July 2018
    They may be harder to find now, but 6900's worked really well in ModWright gear.

A 6900 is like a 5687 on steroids. It was used in ICBM warheads. Max altitude 80,000 feet, 500G impact load, 50G vibration acceleration. It's job, to survive until target reached and detonated. In audio applications, near twice the transconductance of a 5687. Incredible detail and dynamics.

The 6900 is constructed from Nonex glass, which is quite heavy. It also uses a Tungsten stem seal construction like many of the high-powered transmitting tubes do. The 3 spacers are made from ceramic. Each of these ceramic spacers has the equivalent thickness of about 4 of the typical spacers used in other 9-pin tubes, stacked together. Also the use of ceramic spacers eliminated one of the common sources of tube failure, which is the evolution of gas from other less costly materials such as mica which is commonly used for spacers.

The ceramic spacers along with the use of of multi-pillar supports locked together via 12 welded eyelets, contribute to a sturdier structure. Special alloy snubbers, which maintain their position, retain their spring properties at high temperatures.

Bendix first made the 6900, then MU engineering purchased Bendix tube division and rebranded old stock and manufactured tubes with the Bendix tooling. I had both the Bendix and the MU6900, could not notice any SQ difference between them.

Back in the day a pair of Bendix 6900 would fetch $600 or more while MU could be had for $300 a pair. Until folks figured it out, then the MU went way up in price.

uijskho054dh.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    Those are pretty cool Rich
  • machone
    Brent Jessee lists them for 600 a pair but is out of stock. Maybe that's a good thing?
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• pitdogg2
    Rich has posted pictures of these tubes before, so yes I looked before and I believe Brent Jesse had been out for a long time. I would think these were very limited in the first place.
  • machone
    I am sure they are great but I can buy a lot of stuff with $600.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2018
    I still have the Modwright Sony 9100 ES CD player. I have some Gold Brand Sylvania 5687s, with gold pins. Got it from Scompracer years ago and still going strong!
    Carl