Lightweight gear

2»

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I'm happy with my UBP X800 and my Oppo 105D tell you what the Sony was bought for the 4k playback, the Oppo I use for everything else. I figured I would compare each on Blu Ray play back and the Sony is just as good on Blu Ray's as the Oppo is, so now I use it more than my Oppo when watching movies. I have never seen the X700 but there is nothing sissy about the X800. I see no need to get a 205 over my 105D since the X800 does a fine job on UHD playback. I do like the 205 though I just don't need it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I'm happy with my UBP X800 and my Oppo 105D tell you what the Sony was bought for the 4k playback, the Oppo I use for everything else. I figured I would compare each on Blu Ray play back and the Sony is just as good on Blu Ray's as the Oppo is, so now I use it more than my Oppo when watching movies. I have never seen the X700 but there is nothing sissy about the X800. I see no need to get a 205 over my 105D since the X800 does a fine job on UHD playback. I do like the 205 though I just don't need it.
    I was gonna grab the Sony UDP-X1000ES which is the step up from the X800 and an ES model which for starters has a removable power cord. But they don't output Dolby Vision and is why I didn't get either and got the entry level X700 which came out after both of those players. Sony screwed up in my opinion because at first they where supposed to release a Dolby Vision Firmware upgrade for the X800 and X1000es but then realized they didn't have the proper chip sets in them. Then to hurry out Dolby Vision they released the X700 entry level model with an ES model coming later this year.
    The X800 is a fine player and it was on my list. We have a brand new one in the box at the shop and I have been looking at it every single day until I got the email from Oppo.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    DSkip wrote: »
    Dolby vision is coming to the One.

Saw that! I’m stoked (for when I upgrade next lol)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I wish I could afford better than sissy gear :disappointed:
    :wink:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    ~ We don't need no stinkin' Dolby vision ~

BTW, I'm offended by the thread title, maybe that can be edited/deleted too.......such utter nonsense!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    gudnoyez wrote: »

Can't agree more. My X800 has been excellent. For the price, it's awesome. I see no need to upgrade. I could keep upgrading my player every 3 years for the next 15 years and still safe money over buying the Oppo. With formats changing so fast, I don't see the benefit.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Looks like the title of the thread changed.... now it insults my drinking ability. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I guess it's not just the gear. HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    F1nut wrote: »
    BTW, I'm offended by the thread title, maybe that can be edited/deleted too.......such utter nonsense!

Looks like it happened ol'chap

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    This thread is now a "safe place". :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Looks like it happened ol'chap

Yes, it seems my sarcasm buzzed the tower.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I didn't know what the hell was happening when I got an alert about Lightweight gear, WHAT?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I also like the feel of a solidly built (heavy) piece of gear.

It feels solid, a.k.a quality IMO. Yes that's not totally accurate, but the perception of quality is there.

In my biz (automotive), and others including the electronics industry, the size and weight of the components continuously decrease. Cost is a big part of it.

If they can replace a metal or mechanical component with a plastic one, there is much savings there. Integrated circuits replacing separate caps, resistors, etc., also save cost. Even a manually applied solder joint over the life of a production run, as compared to a paper thin automatic solder joint saves money, In labor as well as material cost. There is always tremendous pressure to reduce costs of products, to improve the bottom line.

I understand why it happens, I design products every day with the same goal, but being the old school kinda guy that I am, I really like a heavy component! FWIW. :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    One good thing about lightweight gear, if you kick it, off it goes. Heavyweight gear can cause injuries. I’ve heard of people who have accomplished this feat.