Lightweight gear

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
edited July 2018 in Electronics
You know I'm off from work today, Mondays are one of my off days and my Oppo is coming today.
I pulled out the Sony UDP-X700 which I have not really touched other then using it from my rack. I can't believe I actually installed this sissy looking light weight piece of gear into my system.
What the hell happened to me and the industry that this thing is except able? I hit home after a few old threads I was looking at with some of my older gear in place like my B&K AVR307, Rotel RMB-1095 amp and other stuff like my Cambridge Audio Azur Blu Ray player etc. Now I have this thing. I feel ashamed on some levels and relieved on others thats it's finally getting out.
NEVER again will I buy anything like this. I'm not knocking it's performance as for the money it works great but it's just not my speed.

I think over the next year or so I'm gonna totally revamp my system again with ONLY MANLY equipment. Separates , huge power supplies and maybe even going back to a conventional style non powered tower speaker. Monitor Audio has caught my attention and Revel has for years now so I may head down that route. The LSIM's would be cool but I never got to experience the floor standers and as usual no one around here has them on display to check out. That is another dieing art form.

Sorry for the rant I'm just hating on todays quality gear a bit. New formats cheaper but gear. I still can't believe I installed the X700....... I need a mirror.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Weight, schmeight.
    If it doesn't use high enough voltage for the plate supply to the outputs to be able to kill you, it's not really worthy of consideration.

16187794927_269abfcf2c_b.jpgDSC_0132 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

B)

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    There was a time when it was kinda cool to have a "sissy bar" on your bike. Nowadays, you wouldn't want to go for a beer at a "sissy bar". Or maybe you would? :/ *shrug*

a2eioadmz4to.jpg
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2018
    ^^That's Cool, that kid has attitude.

Did you get beat up much King?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Viking64

Are you asking me? If so, then no, never.
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »
    There was a time when it was kinda cool to have a "sissy bar" on your bike. Nowadays, you wouldn't want to go for a beer at a "sissy bar". Or maybe you would? :/ *shrug*

a2eioadmz4to.jpg

Portrait of the young Elon Musk.

B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    that chopper has a sugar bear front end....NICE!!
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

B)
    I know who that is, but I don't get the reference. :/
  • Viking64
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    that chopper has a sugar bear front end....NICE!!

If I rode through the neighborhood on that thing 45 years ago, my friends would pass-out from envy. :p
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »

B)
    I know who that is, but I don't get the reference. :/

I just looked at the kid's face and decided that, rather than, say, suggest it's a photograph of a young Putin (or, I dunno, some other punk/bad guy), it would be amusingly ironic to suggest one of the Silicon Valley gazillionaires. You know, kid turned out OK kinda vibe.

I guess the young Elon Musk would've had a custom submarine, though.
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a22150734/elon-musks-mad-mini-submarine-didnt-help-thai-cave-rescue/
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    I don't think that was available at the Schwinn dealer. Somebody made that and it drips with "cool". To whoever that person is "Well done!"
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Some of this non-"sissy gear", if you open it up, you'll find a PCB, reasonable sized transformers and such and a zinc plate stuck permanently to the case with mastic and sound damper all over the case.

Why?

Because people like you need something to "feel" like "quality" by making it weigh 3 times as much as it has to.

In a pre-amp, amplifier, receiver, etc, I would expect weightiness.

There's no need for a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player or tuner or even a DAC to weigh 17,000 pounds.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mantis
    I am confident enough in my masculinity that I would be comfortable using a X700 or driving a Miata.
    Cool when you need it, I have the X700 here it's like brand new. I'll give you a stupid deal on it.

Dan
  • mhardy6647
    Jstas wrote: »
    Some of this non-"sissy gear", if you open it up, you'll find a PCB, reasonable sized transformers and such and a zinc plate stuck permanently to the case with mastic and sound damper all over the case.

Why?

Because people like you need something to "feel" like "quality" by making it weigh 3 times as much as it has to.

There's no need for a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player or tuner or even a DAC to weigh 17,000 pounds.

Electrovoice reputedly did this with a component some years (decades, now) back.
  • mantis
    I don't need my gear to weigh more then it needs to be but I do enjoy a solid piece of gear.
    Just look at these 2 Blu ray players and tell me which one you would rather own?oqjq3dw11s5e.jpg
    Dan
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Whichever one has better picture quality.
  • motorhead43026
    mantis wrote: »
    I am confident enough in my masculinity that I would be comfortable using a X700 or driving a Miata.
    Cool when you need it, I have the X700 here it's like brand new. I'll give you a stupid deal on it.

Actually I am hoping to snag a 203 as I am on the list. Might take up your offer on the X700 for another location.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• mantis
    According to some people int he AVS Forums the X700 performance is close to the Oppo for Picture quality. I'm gonna find that out myself.
    Dan
  • mantis

Actually I am hoping to snag a 203 as I am on the list. Might take up your offer on the X700 for another location.
    I'll take $175 Shipped to your door if you live in the USA.

Dan
  • Viking64
    ^^That's Cool, that kid has attitude.

So, now you're replacing the comment you edited out? Internetz....serious business. :p
  • motorhead43026
    ^^I accidently deleted that line while adding the other. Posting on a phone while in the airport, I find it very arduous.

• mhardy6647
    Jstas wrote: »

Why?

Electrovoice reputedly did this with a component some years (decades, now) back.

Well -- here's the flimsy bit of evidence that a quick search turned up for this story... it may well be apocryphal :p

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=vintage&n=41061&highlight=EV+metal+weight&r=&search_url=/default.mpl?searchtext=EV+%2Bmetal+%2Bweight&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=&date1=&date2=&slowmessage=&ip=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=ALL
  • Jstas
    I don't need my gear to weigh more then it needs to be but I do enjoy a solid piece of gear.
    Just look at these 2 Blu ray players and tell me which one you would rather own?oqjq3dw11s5e.jpg

The Sony, honestly. It fits in a smaller spot and will work easily with my universal remote.

As long as it has a digital output, if the picture quality and processing power are equivalent to the Oppo then there's really no need to cross shop them. The Sony is significantly cheaper than the Oppo which makes it a better value. It's a digital signal afterall so the part that matters most is what is decoding those signals for you.

Also, Sony has been known, since the start of Blu-Ray, to be putting out top notch players. Hell, I know quite a few people who own Sony PlayStation 3's solely because it was the best Blu-Ray player you could buy on the market at the time and for several years afterwards too.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I've found over the many years that solidly built heavy weight gear performs better than the light weight stuff.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    All this talk about sissy gear has made Sissy angry. :o

a9arqo13jl81.jpg
  • Jstas
    Maybe.

• mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    I've found over the many years that solidly built heavy weight gear performs better than the light weight stuff.

Strong positive correlation fer shure.
  • motorhead43026
    edited July 2018
    Could the same be said about women? I have only married or dated the light weight, skinny ones.

• mhardy6647
    Could the same be said about women? I have only married or dated the light weight, skinny ones.

oh, I so ain't touchin' that one...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Mopeds are fun too, just don't let your friends see you riding one
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a