Speaker up grade? Rti-a9's

chiptouz
chiptouz Posts: 152
edited July 2018 in Speakers
Playing around with a speaker upgrade. Are changing the a7's to a9's a big enough deal? Would my denon 4520ci be enough to drive them? If not then a $900 upgrade has become a $2100 upgrade (would add the monolith 3x300 or 5x200). Maybe I should just go with the new paradigm premier series (800F and 600C) and get new in-ceiling speakers to timber match. Sell all the polk speakers to makeup some of the cost. Thoughts?
Sharp LC-80uq17u
Denon 4520ci Receiver
OPPO BDP-203 Blu-Ray Disc Player
Monster HTS 3600
Polk RTi-a7 (fronts)
Polk CSi-a6 (Center)
Polk TC-60i (Rear & Surround Rear)
HSU Research VTF3-MK4 (Sub)
Logitech Harmony elite (Remote)

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Keep the A7’s, add an amp, and decide if you like what you hear.

I wouldn’t recommend upgrading just to spend money.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk Chip!

Get that 5 channel amp first and put it on all your speakers. I bet once you hear all your speakers operating to their full potential, you won't feel the need to get new speakers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    I also agree on Parasound Halo amp. I had A21 driving RTiA9s. I saw quite an improvement with A21 than having Pio Elite SC-65 driving RTiA9s. In my opinion, you wouldn't go wrong with Parasound amps.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Bigger isn't always better, and the A7s sound great with good amplification.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I agree in adding an amp first. I added a small Emotiva BasX-A300 (150wX2) to my Signatures. It was a wow hello moment. It doesn't make it that much louder but adds more detail and openness to the sound.

If you don't have the budget for the Parasound A31 or A51 go for the Monolith, I've read good things about them. An Emotiva might be too bright for RTi.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    How big is your room? Distance from speakers to listening position?

With what’s in my sig I’m about 13” from the left/right speakers and I feel they would sound better with a little more distance given the power they have and what they can produce but I’m limited to that in my room.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Some good recommendations above.

What's the system use? Primarily HT, music, or combo? How are you finding the sound of the A7s currently?
    I disabled signatures.
  • chiptouz
    chiptouz Posts: 152
    edited July 2018
    Thank you all. Been really wondering if I need an amp or not and sounds like you all that have them say it makes a difference. I would say 90% HT and 10% music (if that much). I would love a parasound amp but a little out of my budget atm. I am getting a 85” Sony x900f. Here shortly. Since ATI makes monolith maybe I can just try them out. Sounds like none of you all are using them atm.
    Sharp LC-80uq17u
    Denon 4520ci Receiver
    OPPO BDP-203 Blu-Ray Disc Player
    Monster HTS 3600
    Polk RTi-a7 (fronts)
    Polk CSi-a6 (Center)
    Polk TC-60i (Rear & Surround Rear)
    HSU Research VTF3-MK4 (Sub)
    Logitech Harmony elite (Remote)
  • rpf65
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2250V2

This will well with the A7’s. Your AVR should be able to handle the rest.

The monolith, as well as a few others, are made by ATI.
  • mrloren
    I will be using a Monolith 3 as soon as I have the funds. I would like to have my front 3 with equal power great for movies.

Almost anything from Monoprice and Emotiva get beat up on this forum. Let's just say some people here have a taste and pocket for the better equipment.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rpf65
    It isn’t that the people here “beat up” on Emo or ATI gear. ATI makes Monolith, Outlaw, and a few other brands.

It’s just people here usually think music first.

The RTI and RTI A lines are designed primarily for HT usage, so the are inherently bright. Emo and ATI amps are usually on the bright side. Some people like that sound for music, but far more don’t. For strictly HT, there isn’t anything wrong with an overly bright sound signature; music, most will say, not so good.

The people here are just trying to pass on experience, and some can be highly opinionated. When all is said and done, they’re usually correct.

The advise here is free, you can ignore it. Not everybody hears the same thing the same way.

Some people ignore the advise given on this site, and are perfectly happy with their choice. Others say they should have listened. What it comes down to is people giving their opinions on various manufacturers gear based on their personal experience. No paychecks, no free samples, no editors, and no marketing types are involved in the recommendations.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    rpf65 wrote: »
    It isn’t that the people here “beat up” on Emo or ATI gear. ATI makes Monolith, Outlaw, and a few other brands.

ATI has also made many very high dollar name brand amps.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Yeah, I’m curious about the Monolith myself, with ATI’s involvement.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    Ok sorry, maybe saying "beat up" was a little harsh, my bad.
    DSkip wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    Almost anything from Monoprice and Emotiva get beat up on this forum. Let's just say some people here have a taste and pocket for the better equipment.

Not good for the RTi line. For the Signature line, I'm sure its fine. I haven't heard newer Emotiva amps but have been told they are warmer than they used to be.

Oh man, now I'm back to the coin toss on the two. I have been happy with my little BasX-A300.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

The RTI and RTI A lines are designed primarily for HT usage, so the are inherently bright. Emo and ATI amps are usually on the bright side. Some people like that sound for music, but far more don’t. For strictly HT, there isn’t anything wrong with an overly bright sound signature; music, most will say, not so good.

The people here are just trying to pass on experience, and some can be highly opinionated. When all is said and done, they’re usually correct.

The advise here is free, you can ignore it. Not everybody hears the same thing the same way.

Some people ignore the advise given on this site, and are perfectly happy with their choice. Others say they should have listened. What it comes down to is people giving their opinions on various manufacturers gear based on their personal experience. No paychecks, no free samples, no editors, and no marketing types are involved in the recommendations.

Well said...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Others say they should have listened.

I know I shoulda listened about not buying a pro amp when I first joined...
    I would suggest listening to them, they know what they are talking about.
  • mrloren

I definitely worded my statement wrong.

Advise on here is great, it's the advise matching my wallet. In the 12 or so years I've been on this forum I've learned a ton.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

ATI has also made many very high dollar name brand amps.

FYI

Amplifier Technologies owns the ATI, Audioaccess, BGW and Theta Digital brands and designs and manufactures state-of-the-art audio components for its own and other brands in its facility in Montebello, CA. Guided by legendary amplifier designer Morris Kessler, ATI offers both performance and value in audio components.