Finally, my entrance into the vinyl rabbit hole!

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    The needle looks good to me.

The brush looks crooked!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Hard to tell from just that one angle, but having said that, it doesn't look wildly crooked to me. Looking at the diamond, however, it's either REALLY dirty, or broken-off. I can easily imagine the DJ/back-scratching could have ripped the diamond right off. To add to the uncool/d!ck-move factor, the vinyl may be damaged as well.

Tony, the brush isn't crooked...it's positioned in a way to brush the leading grooves ahead of the diamond, so it's a bit askew/offset visually. I hope that makes sense.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    That sucks man, it happens though. Same reason I don't have friends not careful of my audio stuff anywhere near my turntable. I will say I do use a Ortofon Concorde S pro which is for DJing so I have bumped it more than once and it survived each time.

I have thought about getting a better cart then realized I would break it in an instant.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Tony M
    edited June 2018

I was able to zoom in on it easily and it looks like the diamond is there. I tried to post a zoomed in pic. but it came out the same as Micah's.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    All my friends have my gear...
  • Tony M
    edited June 2018
    click on the link and then hit the + to zoom again. It works for me. Clear as day.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/editor/ed/qxckkxt8h5rf.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    lightman1 wrote: »

No, not really -- I have some too.

(ahem)
  • jdjohn
    I should have been more specific. I agree that something is still there, but it may just be the shank. Since the M97xE has a bonded stylus, it is feasible that the diamond tip could break-off, but still leave the mounting shank. That's what I'm wondering.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    click on the link and then hit the + to zoom again. It works for me. Clear as day.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/editor/ed/qxckkxt8h5rf.jpg

Hmmmm... so... I see something there but I am not 100% sure it's stylus :|
    Do we know fo' sure whether the M97xe has a nude or bonded stylus?

I copied it and cropped it a bit.

lqhk6ajeqzcd.png

vb8bj86hkdjg.png

I am wondering whether we're seeing the stylus mount sans diamond -- it looks kinda flat-tipped to me...(?)

A quick glance at this thread suggests its a bonded stylus(??).
    https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=88097

xf7aoy1q8utp.png
  • jdjohn
    edited June 2018
    Definitely bonded...I took a quick look at mine via USB microscope to confirm before my last post.

The shiny silver bit is the metal shank, and the yellowish tip is obviously the diamond - an elliptical cut. The diamond is 'bonded' to the shank.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Definitely bonded...I took a quick look at mine via USB microscope to confirm before my last post.

The shiny silver bit is the metal shank, and the yellowish tip is obviously the diamond - an elliptical cut. The diamond is 'bonded' to the shank.

Sorry, I missed that.
    oh, derp - well, I'm gonna hope that you posted that while I was futzing with cropping and uploading the images... I think you've hit the nail on the head...errm, maybe make that on the shank.

I believe we're looking at, as one of the hifi catalogs buried here among the rubble once put it, a stylus that's come to a pointless conclusion.

:(
  • jdjohn
    Haha...no worries ;) DJ styli are conical, and more forgiving going backwards in the grooves. The same reason that ellipticals extract more detail going forward is the reason that they don't like going backwards...they dig a little deeper. At 33RPM, it might be okay, but scratching backwards is more abrupt and fast = not forgiving.
  • Tony M
    I could zoom in on the above pic and it does look like a volcano top now. :(:#

Maybe the diamond tip is still in the record groove. ;):p
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    wwkotsmakyob.jpg
    vr3lggfyig5z.jpg
    Best pics I could take, I may try tomorrow to use my GoPro if I can get the pictures off of it.
    Hard to tell from just that one angle, but having said that, it doesn't look wildly crooked to me. Looking at the diamond, however, it's either REALLY dirty, or broken-off. I can easily imagine the DJ/back-scratching could have ripped the diamond right off. To add to the uncool/d!ck-move factor, the vinyl may be damaged as well.

Tony, the brush isn't crooked...it's positioned in a way to brush the leading grooves ahead of the diamond, so it's a bit askew/offset visually. I hope that makes sense.

I cleaned it up before taking the pics in this post, and I can’t see the diamond (although I’m not sure exactly what it I should supposed to look like). The record is one of my faves, but my Dad was playing it tonight and through the part where it was scratched it didn’t sound different, so I’ll hope for the best on that front.
    That sucks man, it happens though. Same reason I don't have friends not careful of my audio stuff anywhere near my turntable. I will say I do use a Ortofon Concorde S pro which is for DJing so I have bumped it more than once and it survived each time.

I have thought about getting a better cart then realized I would break it in an instant.

This was one of my friends who is very careful about my audio gear, and he thought it was mad easy to do it.
    Tony M wrote: »

I was able to zoom in on it easily and it looks like the diamond is there. I tried to post a zoomed in pic. but it came out the same as Micah's.

Zoomed in pic didn’t work for me, and it wouldn’t focus correctly, so it’s just as close to it as I could get with the camera.

I can reply to the rest tomorrow, but I don’t have time now.
    Micah
  • jdjohn
    edited June 2018
    EDIT: My original post in this spot was based on the other, previous pics. I think Micah may be in the clear on this after cleanup in these recent pics. I think the earlier pic was just a very dirty stylus. I'm going to post some pics of my M97xE for comparison to his current situ. His friend may be very lucky.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited June 2018
    When I zoom in on Micah's close-up (the side view) on a 65" plasma, I can see what appears to be the shank and then the diamond.

How about testing it on a record of marginal value and see how it sounds? derp. :p
  • mlistens03

Lol yes they do. You’re welcome to store gear here anytime as well :tongue:
    Although I wouldnt store something as fragile as a record cart/stylus, I have too many friends for that :#
    I should have been more specific. I agree that something is still there, but it may just be the shank. Since the M97xE has a bonded stylus, it is feasible that the diamond tip could break-off, but still leave the mounting shank. That's what I'm wondering.

It seems to still be a sharp point, which makes me think that the diamond is there, though I don’t see any colors that make me think “oh that’s a diamond.”
    Viking64 wrote: »
    When I zoom in on Micah's close-up (the side view) on a 65" plasma, I can see what appears to be the shank and then the diamond.

How about testing it on a record of marginal value and see how it sounds? derp. :p

I looked at it through a magnifying glass, and after cleaning it, it looks like the diamond I saw still on the tip, but I don’t really know what to look for, and I only got to look for a brief second.
    I am gonna test it tomorrow on a “record of marginal value”, that was bought as a prank for my father. It is an exercise record. I’ll post some pics tomorrow morning.
    Micah
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Ummmm....can you post pics of the exercise record? :p
  • mlistens03
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Ummmm....can you post pics of the exercise record? :p

I will tomorrow! :tongue::lol::wink:
    It’s pretty... uh... let’s go with special. :tongue:
    The really funny part about it is that my dad runs 140.6 mile triathlons. :lol:
  • jdjohn
    Having at least one test record is a necessity.

Ok, here you go my young friend. I've tried to match the perspectives of your photos.
    7g3cegs1bom5.jpg
    5csskc9tvuon.jpg
    I think yours may be ok!
  • mlistens03
    Having at least one test record is a necessity.

Ok, here you go my young friend. I've tried to match the perspectives of your photos.
    7g3cegs1bom5.jpg
    5csskc9tvuon.jpg
    I think yours may be ok!

So glad to hear that!!! :grin:
    I’ll post some more pics and look closer tomorrow morning, and test on some records.
    Thanks again guys,
    Micah
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited June 2018
    BTW Micah, the diamonds used for stylui are commercial/industrial grade, not jewel grade, and not cut the same. You won't get the prismatic effect like you would from a cut jewel.
  • jdjohn
    But some look more like gems than others ;) ATN150Sa:
    ww5cp3h4ofha.jpg
  • lightman1
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

No, not really -- I have some too.

(ahem)

You're my friend too...
  • lightman1
    edited June 2018
    "You’re welcome to store gear here anytime as well"

I have tube amps.... The only caveat is to listen to them. Hear what they can offer. Find the song that helps you appreciate what they can do.

The choice is yours to make.

Edit: Boogered up the quote thing.
  • mlistens03
    @Viking64
    gu7xt581wc1o.jpg
    Me and my Grandpa were looking through a GoodWill when we found this, and we knew at that very second it had to come home with us to be given to dad... although we never thought we would actually be playing it :tongue:
    Micah
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Isn't that the younger sister from White Christmas? Danny Kay was her partner... (Fantastic movie)
  • mlistens03
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Isn't that the younger sister from White Christmas? Danny Kay was her partner... (Fantastic movie)

Maybe??
    Google is my friend...
    Doesn’t seem so.
    Micah
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2018
    He is thinking of Debbie Reynolds from Singin' In The Rain, I bet.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mlistens03
    Sounded good on the exercise record, with no noticeable channel imbalance, so I decided to try it on my least favorite song on The Beatles 67-70 (I Am The Walrus) and the night when it sounded perfect on that, I played Penny Lane, and it sounded perfect on that as we’ll. All that to say, IT WORKS!! and sounds good!
    Thanks all for your help, and especially to Dromunds for giving me the cart in the first place,
    Micah