I was thinking...

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    msg wrote: »
    I like your spirit, Micah. You seem like a good kid. Enthusiastic, polite, curious.

I would also like the originals of your stand drawings to put on my fridge if you're not putting them up on your own. I can send you another box of crayons (Crayola 64 w/built-in sharpener on back) or colored pencils.
    I'd like to "Agree" part 1 and "LOL" part 2, but can't.

I'll select "Like", it's in the middle of the two.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I like your spirit, Micah. You seem like a good kid. Enthusiastic, polite, curious.
    Thanks!

I would also like the originals of your stand drawings to put on my fridge if you're not putting them up on your own. I can send you another box of crayons (Crayola 64 w/built-in sharpener on back) or colored pencils.

Ha! I prefer pens. I don’t draw much either, just speaker designs and the like on occasion. When I do, I’m told I’m really good, but I don’t enjoy it much, so why would I draw if I don’t enjoy it?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Ha! I prefer pens. I don’t draw much either, just speaker designs and the like on occasion. When I do, I’m told I’m really good, but I don’t enjoy it much, so why would I draw if I don’t enjoy it?

Because it's the only way to get those thoughts bouncing around in your head out. Many smart people actually hated to draw, but was the only way to get others to visualize their thoughts. Keep at it, your doing just fine.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    I was at my friends house late last night, and we listened to them for a long time. They are awesome! They have a nice soundstage, and sound flat but at the same time they are lively and enjoyable. Off axis they sound decent, but once you get in the sweet spot they do something amazing. Overall, awesome speakers, and I want them. :grin::wink:
    tonyb wrote: »
    Thanks!

Because it's the only way to get those thoughts bouncing around in your head out. Many smart people actually hated to draw, but was the only way to get others to visualize their thoughts. Keep at it, your doing just fine.

Ok, I’ll continue to draw and design things. I generally keep all my designs in my head, but I’ll try to draw them out.
    Micah
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2018
    I like the fact that Micah is using GRAPH paper!

I should take pictures of some of my old projects that were designed on graph paper first. 1 square equaled something so I could look at symetry, balance and useage of materials and lengths I would need.

I took Mechanical drawing/Drafting in high school and loved it. Blueprint designing of homes was the first year. I moved after that but learned a ton. The Teacher was pretty good but a little too strict. But I understood his passion. He was a perfectionist too.

I smiled when I saw the graph paper but.... didn't like how the squares weren't used to scale.

PS. I once had to draw a deck design we were going to use to replace an old one to the City Council in some town in Virginia. We got approved to do it and the Council said it was the best proposal drawing they had ever received. I included grass and bushes and good detail to SCALE. They loved it.

Oh, just like yours Micah, I had FRONT and TOP views on one page also. I also liked how you provided your top view imaginary view for us to see. You should take up Drafting!! You have the imagination and skills to put thoughts down on paper in 3-D.

You're in a league of humans with that talent that is small. Try looking into that trade. It pays OK too. You won't have to work in bad weather either.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    For a easy paintable, industrial, sturdy configuration
    3-pieces of 1" gas pipe and 6-floor flanges
    Add a top and a base
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Tony M
    I know he was thinking about PVC or Aluminum but you'd have to screw through the pipes from the inside.

I don't think they make flanges for Aluminum or PVC pipes, do they?
  • mlistens03
    edited May 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    I like the fact that Micah is using GRAPH paper!

I should take pictures of some of my old projects that were designed on graph paper first. 1 square equaled something so I could look at symetry, balance and useage of materials and lengths I would need.

I took Mechanical drawing/Drafting in high school and loved it. Blueprint designing of homes was the first year. I moved after that but learned a ton. The Teacher was pretty good but a little too strict. But I understood his passion. He was a perfectionist too.
    I am a bit of a perfectionist myself, so I get that. Lol
    I smiled when I saw the graph paper but.... didn't like how the squares weren't used to scale.
    the paper was quite small, I usually use them for scale, but there wasn’t enough room.
    PS. I once had to draw a deck design we were going to use to replace an old one to the City Council in some town in Virginia. We got approved to do it and the Council said it was the best proposal drawing they had ever received. I included grass and bushes and good detail to SCALE. They loved it.

Oh, just like yours Micah, I had FRONT and TOP views on one page also. I also liked how you provided your top view imaginary view for us to see. You should take up Drafting!! You have the imagination and skills to put thoughts down on paper in 3-D.
    I feel like front and top views are essential to a good design, it is impossible to actually see the design without it.
    You're in a league of humans with that talent that is small. Try looking into that trade. It pays OK too. You won't have to work in bad weather either.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    For a easy paintable, industrial, sturdy configuration
    3-pieces of 1" gas pipe and 6-floor flanges
    Add a top and a base

I was thinking about the same except I wanted to use bigger pipes, I don’t want to take the risk of it breaking with an expensive pair of speakers.
    I know he was thinking about PVC or Aluminum but you'd have to screw through the pipes from the inside.

I don't think they make flanges for Aluminum or PVC pipes, do they?

I don’t know if they do or not. My plan was to cut holes in the wood (one of the holes at an angle) and screw the pipes into the wood. Then I would fill it with sand and find some way to cover the holes.

I am seriously considering the Signatures, although I think the LSiMs would work better in the long term. I plan to use these speakers for years and years, and I think the next place I will live will most likely be an apartment when I move out. I feel like the S60s or really any of the Signature towers would be too big and I would just end up annoying the neighbors. What do the rest of you guys think?
  • mlistens03
    I have officially decided I’m going with the 703s, unless one of you guys talk me out of it. :wink:
    I’m also gonna wait on building stands until I have the money for the 703s. That way, if something happens, I won’t have a pair of stands and no speakers.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Micah
  • Tony M
    There's nothing but PRAISE for those 703"s. GREAT CHOICE! ;)B)

What color do you have in mind?
  • mlistens03
    There's nothing but PRAISE for those 703"s. GREAT CHOICE! ;)B)

What color do you have in mind?

I am leaning towards the midnight mahogany, but really whatever is available. I think the mahogany will look stellar in my room, the dark finish next to my desk. I’m really looking forward to seeing the wood grain in the mornings when the sun shines in through the windows. And, they will sound a few thousand times better than they look! :smiley:
  • Tony M
    I don't know...

I think they'll look as good as they sound! ;):pB)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2018
    I have officially decided I’m going with the 703s, unless one of you guys talk me out of it. :wink:
    I’m also gonna wait on building stands until I have the money for the 703s. That way, if something happens, I won’t have a pair of stands and no speakers.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Micah

@mlistens03 Keep an eye out for "Scratch & Dent" prices on the Signature Series, especially the S60's. When Polk offers an additional $100 off, you get that $100 off the already low price on "Scratch & Dent" speakers! I purchased my set from Crutchfield (you can get the brown walnut or the black walnut from them). With the floorstanding speaker design, you don't need to build the stands and floorstanding speakers are actually easier to drive than bookshelf speakers. Again, the downward firing power port really makes placement versatile and easy compared to rear ported in your small room. To me, the Signature Series is a no-brainer here. That'll also free up some room $ if you decide to drive them with some high(er) end electronics. Win/Win. Also, you are far less likely to need an additional sub(s) with the floorstanding speakers vs the the bookshelf speakers.

Seriously, go to Best Buy and grab a set of the S60's and throw them in your room. That way, YOU will know, for sure, whether or not they're going to work for you in your room and and your electronics. If they don't, you can return them easily in the time frame of the return window / return policy.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mlistens03
    halo wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for "Scratch & Dent" prices on the Signature Series, especially the S60's. I purchased my set from Crutchfield (you can get the brown walnut or the black walnut from them). With the floorstanding speaker design, you don't need to build the stands and floorstanding speakers are actually easier to drive than bookshelf speakers. Again, the downward firing power port really makes placement versatile and easy compared to rear ported in your small room. To me, the Signature Series is a no-brainer here. That'll also free up some room $ if you decide to drive them with some high(er) end electronics. Win/Win.

If I was gonna get the Signatures, I would just keep the LSis, because they are the better speakers, right?
    I want to get a pair of speakers that is an upgrade (I don’t know if the Signatures are better than the LSis or not, but I don’t think it is), and I want the usefulness of a bookshelf speaker (say we move to a space where we dont have room... boom! Nearfield setup!).
    I also don’t know if I will be able to sit far enough away from the Signatures to no time hear the drivers individually. I usually sit around 8 feet away from the mains, is that far enough?
    Thanks again,
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    edited June 2018
    So today I had my friend over, and as I was attempting to impress him with the bass response of system, one of the Missions surrounds came off of the woofer. So as of right now I’m stuck pretty much dead in the water, but I’m hoping to get it replaced soon. However I think I may just get new speakers. I don’t know if I should go with the Signatures or the LSiMs. I may be able to stretch my budget just enough to get 705s, but I’m not sure. I don’t know how much a refurb pair would cost when you factor in the Friends and Family sale.
    So any suggestions on fixing the missions? And Signature S60s or LSiM 705s/703s? (Still not 100% sure if the 705s are a possibility)
    Micah
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    So was he impressed by that?
    So today I had my friend over, and as I was attempting to impress him with the bass response of system, one of the Missions surrounds came off of the woofer.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I had 6SN7 immolate one evening while playing the upstairs hifi for a friend from Massachusetts. That was a tad embarrassing. :|

On topic ;) Are the woofer surrounds polyurethane foam (as opposed to butyl rubber)? The polyurethane surrounds "dry rot" (so to speak) over time and do need periodic replacement. Replacement is (as they say in the mathematics textbooks under some proofs) straightforward* and inexpensive.

I don't even know which Mission loudspeakers you have @mlistens03 but chances are they can be rehabbed without undue drama.

Note, I am not trying to discourage you from getting new/more/better speakers**, just providing a little context.

:)

Clipdat wrote: »
    So was he impressed by that?
    So today I had my friend over, and as I was attempting to impress him with the bass response of system, one of the Missions surrounds came off of the woofer.

No, he said there wasn’t enough bass. :lol:
  • mlistens03
    edited June 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I had 6SN7 immolate one evening while playing the upstairs hifi for a friend from Massachusetts. That was a tad embarrassing. :|

On topic ;) Are the woofer surrounds polyurethane foam (as opposed to butyl rubber)? The polyurethane surrounds "dry rot" (so to speak) over time and do need periodic replacement. Replacement is (as they say in the mathematics textbooks under some proofs) straightforward* and inexpensive.

I don't even know which Mission loudspeakers you have @mlistens03 but chances are they can be rehabbed without undue drama.

Note, I am not trying to discourage you from getting new/more/better speakers**, just providing a little context.

:)

I have Mission 770 Freedoms, which have butyl rubber surrounds. I will still restore these speakers, but I don’t know if I should get the newer speakers first. I have done surround repair before on my Infinity Crescendos (which I am selling), and I know it’s pretty straight forward, but these speakers are, TBH, pretty much worthless. A flawless pair sells for $100, and these ones are trashed.
  • halo
    a92590820015a5f7fd410a71ecddd93c--beautiful-smile-beautiful-people.jpg

Love her smile :)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    a92590820015a5f7fd410a71ecddd93c--beautiful-smile-beautiful-people.jpg

Holy bass, she could park a Yugo in her mouth.
  • Tony M
    HELLO...HELLO......HELlow.....HEllow...Hellow....hellow.... :o
  • mlistens03
    So going back to the original point of this thread, I want to buy LSiMs, but given my taste, I don’t think they are the speaker for me. I like my LSis but I feel like they need more treble to be a speaker I would keep around, and I read that the LSiMs are even more laid back. So do you guys have any suggestions? I know I’ve asked this several times, but I feel like I have given you more info on what I like.
    I would prefer not to have to integrate a sub, but if I do then no big deal.
    I would like it to be on the brighter side of things, although as long as it isn’t super laid back, then it is ok.
    I want really good clarity.
    I’m not going to give a price area because I haven’t sold anything yet, but let’s just set the absolute limit around $650.
    Also, do you guys think that it would be better to just fully restore my Mission 770s and then replace my electronics?
    I know I’ve asked this question before, and this will be the last time, but I’ve never told you guys my taste in sound, and in order to get the best suggestion, I think that is necessary. This will definitely be the last time I ask for suggestions on what to get.
    Thanks so much,
    Micah
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2018
    Do you like Klipsch?

Edit: I'm honestly just asking that as a seriously question. I re-read it and thought it might be viewed as sarcastic, but it's not. Personally, I like the sound of Klipsch speakers.
  • mlistens03
    Do you like Klipsch?

I don’t have anything against their older offerings, although I’ve heard that the horns tend to “ring” and generally sound bad, although I’ve never heard them in person so I don’t really know. I don’t like their newer stuff since they were bought by Audiovox, it all seems to have very high failure rates.
    Micah
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Micah, I know people have mentioned this in other threads, regarding interconnect cables, and you seem hot to buy new speakers, but if I remember correctly, you currently have two sets of towers of some sort in your rig.

I would suggest that buying a $40 set of Blue Jeans interconnects and running them from your CD player would make more difference in sound quality than the aforementioned speakers would, based on your current cables.

Heck, if you don't get any offers that pan out, I would be happy to ship you a pair of LC-1's gratis. (There's some Latin schoolwork for you.) :p
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2018
    Where did you hear that their horns ring and sound bad?
    I’ve heard that the horns tend to “ring” and generally sound bad, although I’ve never heard them in person so I don’t really know. I don’t like their newer stuff since they were bought by Audiovox, it all seems to have very high failure rates.
    Micah

• halo
    edited June 2018
    Another inexpensive brand of cables to consider are Signal Cable. Club Polk members get a discount. Just be sure to mention that you're a member here before you purchase.