Sonner Legato Duo

tratliff
tratliff Posts: 1,651
edited May 2018 in Speakers
Thanks to our good buddy @DSkip I’ve got a pair of Duo’s setting in my room. Just got them installed last evening and working on placement. Only listened for about an hour.

They sound pretty good out of the box but I think they need some time on them. I’ll leave them going all day today.

Still need to move my Legacy’s but I had to give them a listen first.

More details to come as I get some hours on them.

zc6y3skag599.jpeg

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I would definitely be interested to hear your thoughts on how the Sonner speakers compare to the Legacy speakers. Good on ya for trying something different & good on @DSkip for hooking a fellow Polkie up!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Those Legacy's look really sweet.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'll take a stab at it....

I'll bet the Sonners have better imaging, a bit more clarity into the music. The legacys though, hard to beat for impact and scale. Those Legacys would look real good in my house. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited May 2018
    Following . . .

btw, I dig your Yellow Submarine
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • danzilla31
    danzilla31 Posts: 94
    Damn I've always admired the legacy speakers never got a chance to check em out. Those Legacy's look sweeeeet I really hope you enjoy the new speakers tho can't wait to hear your thoughts on em.
  • danzilla31
    danzilla31 Posts: 94
    Man @DSkip you weren't kidding when you said you had some good stuff up there in Dallas for me to check out! Gonna hafta hit you up the next time I go visit family!
  • tratliff
    edited May 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'll take a stab at it....

I'll bet the Sonners have better imaging, a bit more clarity into the music. The legacys though, hard to beat for impact and scale. Those Legacys would look real good in my house. :)

@tonyb That's a good guess. From what I have heard the Sonners are great sounding speakers. But like I have noticed with all speakers and speaker designs they all have pro's and con's. Detail and imaging/stage are outstanding but as you pointed out the impact is not what I am use to. Those Legacy's paired with the McIntosh 601's are a powerful beast.

I put about 18 hours on the Sonners over the weekend and want to see if they settle down with time. As I listened, I notice the mids to be a bit much on certain music.

I have left the Legacy's in the room for now to be able to switch quickly. Moving them is a chore.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    GlennDog wrote: »

btw, I dig your Yellow Submarine

Its a puzzle my wife got me. Goes well in my room. I have a few others...Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers, Pink Floyd.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    tratliff wrote: »
    Detail and imaging/stage are outstanding but as you pointed out the impact is not what I am use to.

Any thoughts on if adding a small powered sub might help with the impact? Just curious in general.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    tratliff wrote: »
    Detail and imaging/stage are outstanding but as you pointed out the impact is not what I am use to.

Any thoughts on if adding a small powered sub might help with the impact? Just curious in general.

A subwoofer would help some, yes, but only so much. The full size and scale/impact those Legacy's produce is hard to get un-used to. Kinda like going from fully tricked out 1.2's to CRS's.

Not taking anything away from the Sonners, I dig them myself, and they certainly hold some advantages over the Legacy's. I guess it comes down to priorities in your preferences. If your the kind who likes to crank it up and feel like your at the concert instead of just listening to it, go big or go home as we like to say.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    any more thoughts?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156