Apple Music vs Tidal

2»

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    And get worms
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2018
    Can’t argue with either of those points I supose, really wasn’t my intention to fire up another love/hate Apple thread, just wanted to share some perspective on the two services since I’d seen some others ask about them.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Sounds crazy but I haven't bought a single cd or sacd since I got a tidal subscription.
    I am running a Lumin D1 into the Kef LS50W. The lumin D1 through its own DAC does full MAQ on Tidal. It is crazy on how good some of this stuff sounds. There is quite a bit of MQA content out there as well.

Please lets not turn this into a MQA and what it does to a file thread. I actually don't care what it does to the file if I think it sounds better. I rather enjoy the music vs pick apart the technology.

@tonyb I agree on the owner is a schmuck and that is why I never jumped on Tidal in the past but, when I tried it out on the Lumin with a 30 day trial, I was hooked. You have no idea how much this has saved me on buying music monthly.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I am basically the same as @erniejade. I had mostly stopped buying cds with tidal, and then I was karmaed the byston bdp-1 which can decode MQA, and I rarely buy cds anymore. Let’s not kid ourselves, artists make VERY little on cd sales. If you want to support them, watch them on YouTube (the get a cut of advert revenue), order merch from their website, or best, go see them live.

And I know a computer isn’t the best, but Roon now decodes MQA in their desktop app, and roon can take direct control of my arcam rDAC, and it sounds pretty darn good to me, though the Bryson absolutely sounds superior, no contest!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Doo doo brown 💩 = SPAM
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    MP3's ?? Is this the 90's ?

"Your going the wrong way".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LisaBrown wrote: »
    It all depends on your needs. Both services are excellent in many ways with each having its own unique features that give it an edge over the other. Apple Music has lucrative deals to the user while Tidal offers more pros to the artists. It pays them good compensation and the sound quality is up to par. If perhaps you need more than the normal music streaming, then Tidal Music will do you good.

While, if you decide to choose Apple Music, one thing you should keep in mind is that although it enables the possibility to synchronize data with any Apple authorized device but you won’t be able to play them on other non-Apple supported music players and devices, such as MP3 player. Certainly, you can use a third-party tool, like this Apple Music Converter to convert Apple Music to common audio files, like MP3 and then listen to them on all devices with ease.

Spammer link removed.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • When it comes to Tidal and Apple Music, they are both main streaming music services. Tidal offers lossless music while Apple music offers only 256kbps aac songs.
    This seems Apple Music falls behind. But it is not right. that is because for most devices, they can't recognize the lossless songs. This means Apple Music AAC 156kbps is good enough for most devices and users.

I also search online and i found that more differences of Tidal vs apple music. If you are interested, you can learn more about them by taking a look at the page.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    I'm sorry you can't hear the difference between lossless and lossy, what a shame.

Go away, spammer.
  • freya
    freya Posts: 4
    I prefer to use apple music
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Now that Apple is FINALLY doing lossless music streaming, has anyone had ears on both?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I have and Apple Music really stepped up their game. No reason to use anything else. They even have Atmos Music which is awesome.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Good to know you got some discerning ears on @mantis.

AFAIK, it does not add much when using AirPlay however. Were you able to test this out?

 Music is a standalone subscription ($10), but it’s also included in all of the Apple One plans, which include up to six family members, and four or six different services according to each of three tiers (Individual, Family & Premier) ranging from $15 to $30.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    P.S. Updates to AirPlay are expected soon, which may change how lossless is implemented using wireless streaming to apple devices, or AirPlay compatible systems.
    Alea jacta est!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mantis wrote: »
    I have and Apple Music really stepped up their game. No reason to use anything else. They even have Atmos Music which is awesome.

It is pretty cool, and for listening on my MacBook at work or casually on the go it’s prefect. But no reason to use anything else? The only way I can listen on the big rig if through the Apple tc 4K, which is awesome for tv, but leaves a LOT to be desired for two channel music. My lowly Squeezebox touch through the Nad m51 sounds so juicy better it’s not even close…tidal through roon three the SB is far superior sq…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mantis
    Kex wrote: »
    Good to know you got some discerning ears on @mantis.

AFAIK, it does not add much when using AirPlay however. Were you able to test this out?

 Music is a standalone subscription ($10), but it’s also included in all of the Apple One plans, which include up to six family members, and four or six different services according to each of three tiers (Individual, Family & Premier) ranging from $15 to $30.
    I have not. I use the Apple TV 4k and I think it's pretty wonderful.
    Dan
  • mantis
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »

It is pretty cool, and for listening on my MacBook at work or casually on the go it’s prefect. But no reason to use anything else? The only way I can listen on the big rig if through the Apple tc 4K, which is awesome for tv, but leaves a LOT to be desired for two channel music. My lowly Squeezebox touch through the Nad m51 sounds so juicy better it’s not even close…tidal through roon three the SB is far superior sq…
    My comments are about streaming music services. I prefer High rez files on a hard drive but the gap has been shorter now with higher rez on Apple. It's not as good as a SACD or DVD AUDIO either BUT it's damn good enough to enjoy the new Atmos format which I don't know how else to get Atmos Music anyway else at this time. I honestly haven't explored it enough. Been to busy with other hobby's LOL.
    Dan
  • I like the Tidal app just fine. I use it with the Dragonfly Cobalt. I have no complaints. I tried Roon. It was nice to be able to control the Tidal app from across the room from my computer with Roon. However, once I discovered the music I was putting in my library was going in Roon's library and not to Tidal I dropped Roon. As far as the price of Tidal...I pay $109 a month through a best buy offer which has been going on for about a year or more now. This price is good for my lifetime as long as I renew on time. This offer gets you the best sound quality Tidal offers too! I love the master quality library. In fact if not for the high quality streaming one can get with Tidal I probably would stick with Pandora.

I have YouTube music, just stopped paying for it though because I love Tidal. YouTube music offers much more music than Tidal but after 4 months of Tidal I haven't had a problem finding what I want to hear.

Also, Tidal is about giving more to the artists we listen to than the others too. Big plus for me. Check out this link for more info. https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/203055651-Artist-Owned#:~:text=The TIDAL artist-owners are,Beyoncé

Sound quality is the most important factor for me as far as internet music providers. Since Tidal is the same price as Pandora when bought through best buy, the choice to go with Tidal is a no brainer.