Proper orientation of male split pin RCA plug

13»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Hey, I need your help, I can't figure out how to ignore @viking64. :wink::tongue:

Congrats, you just joined the class clown and clipdik on my list. Shame, I thought you might turn out ok.....oh well.
    Apparently I’ve been ignored. I’m not quite sure what I did. Can someone enlighten me?

I would tell you but I am pretending to ignore you.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    blufl7m9n9ek.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wondering if someone can help shed some light on the proper orientation of a male RCA plug with a split pin, in regards to how to correctly insert it into a female RCA jack.

I notice that with the split pin cables, that when I'm plugging them in and they rotate slightly, sometimes I can hear and feel what I'm guessing is the metal inside getting stuck on the split of the pin slightly. It makes a little twang sound, like it stuck for a second and then releases.

Looking inside a female RCA jack, there appears to be a horizontal piece of metal. I'm guessing this is what makes contact with the male pin and transfers the signal.

Now, in regards to the split pin, how should this be plugged in to make "proper" contact? If I plug it in so that the split is sitting exactly horizontal, then the horizontal metal inside the jack will actually get inserted inbetween the split tip! I can't imagine that is ideal..??

If anyone has a diagram of what the inside of a female RCA jack looks like, maybe that would help. Or any insights from people who having experience using RCA interconnects with split pins. Thanks.

The below image may help explain the issue you're having. The center contact is simply a "spear" that is designed to engage the pin of the male connector, then deflect slightly during insertion while still maintaining contact.

Should be not an issue with a solid pin connector. Nice smooth rounded end.

nwu2kw3kebad.png

However with a split pin, you have a cut right down the middle of the pin, introducing essentially a "slot" with two sharp edges. Not smooth by any means. Not hard to imagine an orientation of the slot engaging the end of the spear! At that point, the spear may actually be partially engaged in the slot, and with a little twist you bend the spear out of the way, once out of the way, twang!, the spear comes back to it's normal position.

hfyl5aupc1td.png

Just a theory of course, would have to be verified via experimentation. FWIW.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited May 2018
    Nice explanation, that's exactly what's occurring! Now I know why you get paid the big bucks!

You can see the "U-shaped" piece of metal that I was trying to describe on the left hand female RCA jack above. Both the sides and the end of it are what can get caught in the split tip.

So, it seems like the split tip cables would work best for higher quality RCA jacks that feature a full 360 degree cup for the tip to sit in, versus the cheaper/more common style that are on most gear.

At this point the split tip seems like a bit of a marketing gimmick, imo.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited May 2018
    Is there a supposed reason for the split tip? I've only ever seen it and I thought it was some way to make the cables cheaper.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I'm not an expert, but I believe they're designed to mate with a better quality RCA jack (cylindrical IIRC) instead of the spear type. The spear type is about as inexpensive as it gets.

The split types are designed to deflect themselves (spring loaded) upon insertion, to ensure good contact along the entire mating surfaces, and keep good retention.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Here's some marketing gibberish I've found just now regarding split pins:

Split Pin Technology Ensures a Secure Connection.

split-tipped center pin to ensure a tight connection and flawless signal transfer.

the split pin and collar gold-plated RCA's also maintain a robust signal path and longevity.

Split center pin allows for superior signal transfer

split tip center pin and segmented shield for maximum contact and reliability

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    verb wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, but I believe they're designed to mate with a better quality RCA jack (cylindrical IIRC) instead of the spear type. The spear type is about as inexpensive as it gets.

The split types are designed to deflect themselves (spring loaded) upon insertion, to ensure good contact along the entire mating surfaces, and keep good retention.
    Here's some marketing gibberish I've found just now regarding split pins:

Split Pin Technology Ensures a Secure Connection.

split-tipped center pin to ensure a tight connection and flawless signal transfer.

the split pin and collar gold-plated RCA's also maintain a robust signal path and longevity.

Split center pin allows for superior signal transfer

split tip center pin and segmented shield for maximum contact and reliability

nice idea, but it doesn't seem like a winner to me... basically, your paying more money for less material?
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Marketing lies at its best....

definitely.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Marketing BS at its best....

Indeed....same people who wrote that probably also write for womens magazines. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    However the issue/situation here is that for a cable that has some weight/body to it, when you plug one end in, and then attempt to run it to the other piece of gear you are connecting, the weight and bulk of the cable can actually inadvertently rotate the plug in the jack.

How about....resting the plug inside the jack without inserting all the way, then when the other end is connected, and the weight of the cable settles....you push it in. That way no additional turning happens.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    tonyb wrote: »
    However the issue/situation here is that for a cable that has some weight/body to it, when you plug one end in, and then attempt to run it to the other piece of gear you are connecting, the weight and bulk of the cable can actually inadvertently rotate the plug in the jack.

How about....resting the plug inside the jack without inserting all the way, then when the other end is connected, and the weight of the cable settles....you push it in. That way no additional turning happens.

Know it all!!!
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I think I need to go lay down........
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"