Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    Judging by the serial numbers, you have one TL and one non-TL, which may explain the height difference. Is the shorter one missing feet?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    edited April 2018
    It's also odd only one says "TL" with 5 us patents and not the other with only 2???
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kmeek
    kmeek Posts: 225
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Judging by the serial numbers, you have one TL and one non-TL, which may explain the height difference. Is the shorter one missing feet?

No the feet are on the shorter ones. It just appears the top and bottom oak panels are 1/4 inch shorter in thickness....

Not too concerned about the minor appearance difference but I hope I don't have a TL and non-TL speaker.....
  • kmeek
    The guy said he bought them new in 91 as a close out from a stereo place here in Phoenix that was going out of business.....
  • Viking64
    kmeek wrote: »
    Not too concerned about the minor appearance difference but I hope I don't have a TL and non-TL speaker.....

The best way to be sure is to pull some of the drivers and look at the wiring harnesses and the crossovers themselves. There is a big difference as to how TL's and non-TL's are wired. At least with my 2.3's. I think the same principle applies to the 1.2's.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,179
    edited April 2018
    Pull the crossover plate out on the one that says 1.2 and see if it is has c or b printed on it..
    Post edited by dkfreebird on
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420

The best way to be sure is to pull some of the drivers and look at the wiring harnesses and the crossovers themselves. There is a big difference as to how TL's and non-TL's are wired. At least with my 2.3's. I think the same principle applies to the 1.2's.

Big difference in the 2.3 and 2.3tl as 2.3 used 3 different woofers.
    Not a big difference in the 1.2's are same woofers but different tweeters and slight difference in the xo.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited April 2018
    Well I got them. Now I didn't notice this until I got them home and have them right next to each other. They don't appear to be a matched set. I have the left and right speaker and they both appear to be TL's. The left speaker top and bottom caps are thicker than the right one and has more of a red hue to the oak where the right is more golden....

Should I be concerned?

They sound great and I did not notice the differences when they were in normal listening positionrvnd99mfb8kv.jpg

au4b4vnpmfa2.jpg

cq1wdceu83mk.jpg

tf3cni3ph6h7.jpg

These look to have Larry's Rings, or at least Hurricane Nuts according to all the Hex Head Machine Screws, even the PR's.

Have the X-Overs been updated as well?

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Mine are TL, and start with 62xx serial numbers so you are good to go. This is the first I have heard to there being two different thicknesses in the end caps. Could be that Polk changed things on the fly, as they were known to do that back in the day. The other is that one of the two speakers had the caps replaced at some point.

The good news is they are both TL's.... now let the mods and upgrades begin.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Congrats @kmeek ! Looks like a fun project! Those speakers are what I aspire to have someday! Have fun! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    TL = True Love

jw863jltpl61.jpg
  • Viking64
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Big difference in the 2.3 and 2.3tl as 2.3 used 3 different woofers.
    Not a big difference in the 1.2's are same woofers but different tweeters and slight difference in the xo.

That makes sense. My 2.3TL's came from the factory with the instruction manual for the SDA SRS 1.2 and the SDA SRS 2.3.

There was a loose, single-page addendum tucked inside the manual with the heading "Addendum to SRS 1.2tl and SRS 2.3tl Manual". The only difference shown in the diagram was the new layout of the 2.3TL drivers.

The "Physical Specifications" for the 1.2TL were the same as the 1.2, save for the new tweeters. The 2.3TL listed the switch to 6 x MW6510, and of course, the new tweeters.
  • kmeek
    Mine are TL, and start with 62xx serial numbers so you are good to go. This is the first I have heard to there being two different thicknesses in the end caps. Could be that Polk changed things on the fly, as they were known to do that back in the day. The other is that one of the two speakers had the caps replaced at some point.

The good news is they are both TL's.... now let the mods and upgrades begin.

Thanks for the heads up. I can handle the minor cabinet differences. The cabinets are in excellent shape and I am stoked to finally get some SRS's let alone TL's...
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    edited April 2018
    While searching through Craigslist I saw an ad for some ls70's for 140 dollars. Not sure if they are the sound that I like but they sure look nice. Any thoughts?yza4dfn8ovp6.jpg
    m5xszkjml5li.jpg
  • FestYboy
    I'd rock them in a heartbeat. I'd take a close look at the grill surrounds though and if there's damage, come in with a lower bid.
  • krazypolk
    Sorry but what are grill surrounds?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2018
    The LS series had strange grills. Only the cloth portion was supposed to be removed.

Millions(?) of LS speaker grills were damaged by us people trying to remove the grills like we were used too.

BUT...those look like they were the old school style grills.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
  • FestYboy
    If you look closely at the lower photo, you'll see small holes to the outside of the rubber grommets that hold the cloth grill. Those are to locate the plastic surround for said grill.
  • Tony M
    I see them now.
    So they are probably broken.

But for the money, I'd probably go look closely at them and see if the woofers move. ;)
  • FestYboy
    Not all of them, note how the grill on the table stands off and the holes are very dark indicating that at least some came out intact.

At the very least they're worth a look and listen.
  • krazypolk
    While reading up on this model, it appears that the ls70's are the least desirable of this particular line. I saw a lot of praise for the ls90 and the smaller ls50. Why so?
  • Tony M
    edited April 2018
    They have smaller woofers.

I was rocking my LS90's today. :D:pB)
  • krazypolk
    Tony M wrote: »
    They have smaller woofers.

I was rocking my LS90's today. :D:pB)

I was just reading about your industrial rack and your cerwin vegas. It looks like you have quite a bit of gear

Congratulations.
  • Tony M
    Thanks.

Yep, there's quite a lot of audio history out there. And I sold 1/2 of what I had 1o years ago only to get more back. :s

Yes, I've been told I have an amazing collection...OF A LOT OF STUFF. Good stuff too. B)

A few have said it's a frikn GOLD MINE out there. :D

I've also been collecting for a loooong time. ;)
    It's a curse too. :#
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/d/vintage-polk-audio-speakers/6574618271.html - Monitor M10 speakers - $200.

Nice price... Maybe? Need to see the drivers

00i0i_9sui4nxEkcO_1200x900.jpg

00t0t_lXMgykRJhsJ_1200x900.jpg
  • Tony M
    Clipdat wrote: »

I wish you could go and audition them JUST to hear them! ;)B)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    LOL, I don't see anything in the description about him offering to let you hear them before buying! The comments about the wife are funny though:

_______________________________________Calling All Polk Audio Fans!!!_________________________________________
    Wife says quit messing around with what you think these are worth, and move these beast's!

The time has come for me to part with my classic Polk Audio SDA Reference Signature Series System 2's, complete with the interconnect cable. If you are looking at this ad then you know what these are so, I will spare the spec details.

They have been used but, not abused. The speakers have been moved around over the years, so the wood areas have typical nicks, scratches, scuffs, etc. (see pictures).

You can tell by the the photos that they are in excellent condition for their age, and the speaker surrounds appear to still be in excellent condition.

If you are looking for some classic solid performing Polk Audio high-end speakers, then these are for you. These speakers are original and unmolested (no past repairs of any kind).

Although it has been awhile since I used them on a regular basis, they are working as well as they ever have however, because they are classic electronics they are being sold as is.

Price is fair and firm.
    First $525.00 gets them.
    Serious inquiries only please.
    Thanks for looking.
    Tony M wrote: »
    I wish you could go and audition them JUST to hear them! ;)B)

• Tony M
    edited April 2018
    You can tell he doesn't listen to his wife too well, does he?

They should be 300.00 to move them fast!

I know. I read and saw where it doesn't look like he's set up to play them. He wants us to buy them "AS IS" also. :#