Nostalgia: Things You Had Growing Up

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    edited April 2018
    verb wrote: »
    And who can forget Estes rockets! Stock photo, but could it be @Viking64 in his youth? :smile:
    p5kfpxdi8u7z.png

I wasn't to speak of wanting one of those. We always lived in the City so really nowhere except the school yards to shoot them. I believe some guys and their dads shot some off at the school from time to time.

I did build a model of the Apollo 11 Saturn rocket that turned out very nice and cool. About 2 ft. tall with all kinds of detailed stuff that went into each section. This might've been it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/253278165931
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,181
    edited April 2018
    Went thru many of these.
    dx4k6jkc9gjb.jpeg

And the ones with adjustable wings to make them loop.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Another classic Seinfeld episode - where Jerry's girlfriend had all the cool vintage toys that Jerry and George wanted to play with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF2zPfwMF3c
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    9b2ey8hop6j0.jpg

Wish I still had this. My dad sold it, along with his own sled when my parents divorced.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    verb wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Just a few I built growing up.
    I built a few of the classic Monster models too. Those were really fun. What happened to them only MOM knows. :'(
    bwuy7u5blqfx.png
    chvsbd8ax4zt.png
    uxtysq8x0oda.png
    I'm amazed now but as kids when we finished these wartime kits we'd immediately take em outside, stuff em m80's and blow the crap out of em!

Some of my airplanes went out of an upstairs window doused in Testors on fire. If I tried that now I would set the State on fire.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited April 2018
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,181
    I wish I still had one of these too.
    r4viqvqvbhhy.jpeg
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    I still have some of my original Micronauts
    i0kbdlk4pn7n.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Big Wheel and Green Machine

uoqa5t9vq8fo.jpg
    hhbzuon8sj4m.jpg

My folks got me this, it didn't work.

https://youtu.be/r1Pn-PvhY_0
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    My parents bought me a used Schwinn Fastback five speed for my birthday. To this day the most awesome bike I have ever owned. Wish I still had it. Peace. Dod95zedmgv1x.png
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,203
    9b2ey8hop6j0.jpg

Wish I still had this. My dad sold it, along with his own sled when my parents divorced.
    That's really cool, I've never seen one of those. What makes it go?

txcoastal1 wrote: »
    i0kbdlk4pn7n.jpg
    Dude, in the boxes! Those are worth some bank!

• nooshinjohn
    Had a little gas engine, and it was pretty quick too.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Hermitism
    I can't believe there's room for a motor. Super cool!
  • txcoastal1
    I used to also play with the Erector set

q1kx5nr1l4k0.jpg
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,034
    That green machine was sweet. I terrorized my neighbors in Findlay OH.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Radio Shack sold a bunch of these and others back in the day. I had no interest in chemistry (probably would of blown up the house) , but instead chose Aerospace as my post high school education.
    21698utyj95m.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Hermitism
    https://youtu.be/Pj_QsAdh4MI
    I got this for Christmas one year and it totally sucked. It just didn't work and had to be taken back to the store. I was so disappointed. I also used to get irritated at Christmas when I'd get a bunch of toys that required batteries, but didn't get any batteries. Come on Santa!

• lunazul
    lunazul Posts: 780
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    These were fun to play with too.
    6xupjby20ckr.jpeg

h64608j3vkt0.jpg

These were great other than chewing up the t-sticks
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,752

Had a few of these as well as the rough riders. Stompers are pulling a good price now.

ei2ipelbg4t0.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    lincolnpx.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Had this one way back when.
    3k5ospithtlp.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    i0kbdlk4pn7n.jpg

Ho Lee Crap... I remember the Baron Karza. I used to play with it at my Grandma's house, it was in my dad's old room in the closet. I always remembered it but I never knew what it was called. The stomach and the arms shoot, I think the shoulders too?

You ready to sell that bad boy? ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Had this one way back when.
    3k5ospithtlp.jpg

That is cool! Looks like the grenade launcher actually works! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    I had something like this where you would pull the string and the helicopter blades would spin and then it would fly up into the air. Looked a lot older than this example:

Pull-String-Flying-Helicopter-Baby-Kid-Toy-Gift.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    Nightfall wrote: »

Ho Lee Crap... I remember the Baron Karza. I used to play with it at my Grandma's house, it was in my dad's old room in the closet. I always remembered it but I never knew what it was called. The stomach and the arms shoot, I think the shoulders too?

You ready to sell that bad boy? ;)

The rocket launchers go on the shoulders, and yes shoots from everywhere, and NOPE not for sale. IMHO the 4 need to stay together.

They weren't cheap either, they went from $7.55 to $9.50 (late 70's 9YO), I bought 2 of them working in my neighborhood cleaning yards and stuff. The other 2 were gifts

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I grew my first beard in '84

'79 for me. I won a contest with my whiskers.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2018
    This thread made me remember these guys for some reason...

https://youtu.be/nOl_XkwhDYM

• afterburnt
    These are nothing without mi pinga puckswh0u5sujwinb.jpg