I need a small sealed sub

Hey guys, need opinions on a small sealed sub to go with a Harbeth desktop system I'm putting together. Space and budget are both tight, luckily I'm not looking for something with significant output, I just need something to fill in the low end of the Harbeth a little...thinking a small 8" would do the trick. One of those little Sunfire job would be perfect if they still made them and they were cheaper.

I think a sealed model would work best but I'm open to ports (see what I did there) if there are good options there.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Look for a Velodyne SPL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Are you using the P3ESR?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2018
    I am

With my dad coming to stay with us for a while I've got very limited space for a 2 channel system, so decided to build a nice desktop system around the Harbeth and a small integrated, need a small sub to match
  • txcoastal1
    @DSkip

Sunfire SDS8 8" Dual Driver
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    I'll look into that one, also looking at the ML Dynamo 700 as it appears to also be acoustic suspension
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    There are a few used REL subs on the bay that may fit your budget.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Logan-Dynamo-speaker/263513176319?hash=item3d5a9bf8ff:g:qkMAAOSwCoBaj47I

Best sealed sub you can get for the money...All day every day and twice on sunday.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    If you can find an ACI force it is an even better sub, but hard to find and most likely will cost closer to 300.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Here you go - the sealed ones seem to come back ok but the non-sealed ones tend to disappear. We are investigating...

jlt0a4he1vtv.jpg

Do they come in any other colors, or would I need to source some black paint and DIY?
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    oh...black paint...not sure where to get that... >:)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    I have an Energy ESW-M8 that I have been meaning to list for a while. It has seen very little use. It is very impressive considering the size. All original packaging. PM me if you are interested and I can send pics. Price will be reasonable. Around $150
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2018
    https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/d/subwoofer-velodyne-dls-3500r/6506835854.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=subwoofer&sort=rel

Seriously take a look at your Denver CL ads, some pretty good deals on subs perfect for your PC near field rig
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    I've decided that I want to keep the Ampino in the mix (many of my issues would be solved if I wasn't married to this amp), so that's going to severely limit my options on a sub.

I've been advised by a trusted source (who shall remain nameless) to absolutely NOT buy REL (due to issues not related to sound quality which apparently is still top notch), this is quite unfortunate because they're the one sub I've found that has the feature where I can wire the sub straight into the speaker terminals, in fact that's the preferred method. I may roll the dice and buy a REL anyway, but before I do that I wanted to see if there are other options out there.

Anything else that you guys know of that has this functionality?

I'd still like something on the small side but can go up in size as long as it's still nice and tight and will work in a small room. Budget at this point is whatever, if I can find something that fits my needs I'll make the dollars work.
  • rooftop59
    Danny did you look at the Martin Logan I listed? It can do everything you need hook up wise and has an excellent, accurate crossover and is very tight and musical. I have probably owned as many subs as you have headphones lol...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    I did but that won't work in my configuration I don't think. I don't know how I'd hook that up in my system.

it has speaker inputs but I don't understand how those work. Do I hook those and my speakers both up to the same set of posts on the amp?
  • rooftop59
    I did but that won't work in my configuration I don't think. I don't know how I'd hook that up in my system.

it has speaker inputs but I don't understand how those work. Do I hook those and my speakers both up to the same set of posts on the amp?

https://www.martinlogan.com/uploads/documents/manuals/manual_dynamo.pdf

Look at page nine. You can either run from amp to speakers and then speakers to sub, or from amp to sub and sub to speakers. In either case u have to double up on the same binding posts.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    I did find that same document, do we know if that’s actually safe for the amp?
  • rooftop59
    I believe it actually cuts the perceived load in half (like from 8 to 16 ohms). @mhardy6647 can u provide any insight?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • F1nut
    The way REL connects their subs is EXACTLY the same as what is called high level or speaker level inputs. You tap off the same binding posts on your amp and connect to the high level binding posts on the sub. It is entirely safe and is the preferred method as the sub is getting the EXACT same signal as the speakers. Using pre out or sub out connections result in not quite the same signal as your speakers are getting from the amp. That is why the high level method sounds better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    There ya go!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    As to speaker level connection from an amp to a sub plate amp:
    Amps which are class D, class T, and those marked 'BTL' (bridge tied load) could be damaged. With those types of amps, the black terminal isn't ground, it is 'hot'. I don't recall all the details, but this is what I was told by someone familiar with those types of amp topology.
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • F1nut
    The negative binding posts on class D or T amps are not hot.

When using bridged amps things become a little more complicated. One should always check the wiring schematic on the rear panel. This is a Bryston, note neither black binding post is used in bridged mode.

hvri7wjcfryx.png

President of Club Polk

• Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    F1,

That looks to me exactly like why the guys at DIYaudio told me NOT to use such an amp connected to the speaker level inputs of a plate amp--in bridged mode, both speaker wires are 'hot', and no common ground between channels if both are connected to the plate amp. Those guys at DIYaudio build stuff & I think they know what they are talking about.

IDK, some gear might survive, especially if you have only one channel into the plate amp, but I'm not going to take a chance.
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Is this small enough?
    3lo8e6p53lhm.jpeg
    In all seriousness, you could get a velodyne vx-10b, it’s not super small, but if it’s is small enough, I would totally get one. I used one for around 6 months and it is awesome.
    c870bvk31h4g.jpeg
  • F1nut
    F1,

That looks to me exactly like why the guys at DIYaudio told me NOT to use such an amp connected to the speaker level inputs of a plate amp--in bridged mode, both speaker wires are 'hot', and no common ground between channels if both are connected to the plate amp. Those guys at DIYaudio build stuff & I think they know what they are talking about.

IDK, some gear might survive, especially if you have only one channel into the plate amp, but I'm not going to take a chance.

You didn't look at the connection diagram on the back of that amp. Both are NOT hot, one is positive and one is negative. It's basically the same as a mono block amp.

FYI, those guys don't know what they are talking about.

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @AsSiMiLaTeD

Have you looked at the older HSU offerings (STF-1 or STF-2)? Small(ish) ported, downfiring, and have speaker level inputs...

Might stumble across them used and they weren't super pricey New either.

Also what about Outlaw Audio? They have their newer M8 sub. It is also ported, downfiring, and has speaker level inputs (though only clip springs so that stinks).
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    F1,

I would listen to Mr. Nut on this one. He's a little cranky but he's been around the block a few times lol...that's one smart audio dude.

This is an EXTREMELY common way to hook up a sub. Its the REL recommended method. I've never done it because I've never had to (always running dual purpose systems or had a sub with speaker level inputs and outputs), but one of the best known sub manufacturers in the world recommends it...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1