Anyone into watches/timepieces?

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited March 2018
    Gotta love the Seiko 5 watches John. Incredible bang for the buck! Love the NATO strap with the Pepsi bezel. How is the accuracy of the 7S36 movement?

I got this SRP605K1 with the 4R36 movement (hacking and hand winding) in the end of January from Passthewatch. I’ve heard the older movement is a little more accurate. Mine was way fast for the first several days (gained nearly 200 sec/day), but settled in after 3 or 4 days. It’s now +10 to 12 sec/day and stable for the last month. I can live with that!

Please ignore the fact that the bezel wasn’t zeroed at 12 o’clock!

dkvteptaly3e.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    I think I need to buy a seiko 5 now
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • scubalab
    edited March 2018
    My budget friendly collection:

cg0we0w9pwtv.jpeg

There are some very cheap beaters in there!
  • lunazul
    lunazul Posts: 780
    scubalab wrote: »
    My budget friendly collection:

cg0we0w9pwtv.jpeg

There are some very cheap beaters in there!

Is that band on the Fossil, bottom left side next to the Invicta, original or a replacement? I have been trying to find one with the same die pattern at the pins.
    No luck from Fossil, local repair shops or my limited internet searches. I miss the old Fossil Blue
    hwa12k246ofj.jpg
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    money spent on Watches is $$$$ you could spend on audio gear? just me 2 cents :p
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Joey_V
    voltz wrote: »
    money spent on Watches is $$$$ you could spend on audio gear? just me 2 cents :p

SO true lol
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • scubalab
    @lunazul - The bracelet on the Fossil Blue is the original. That watch is indestructible! It's got a very cool day/date/24-hour time movement.

Have you tried looking for a complete watch like yours, perhaps with a damaged case or bad movement, from which you could steal the bracelet?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I really need a new watch.

But I told myself the next watch I buy will be the Omega Seamaster that I’ve wanted for years.

Lol.

Looks like I might not be getting a new watch this year...
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341

Haha. No doubt. But financially, watches are a far better choice, as I don't think I've had a single piece of audio gear appreciate in value, whereas 3 out of the 4 watches I've purchased in the last 2 years have.

Maybe one day my watches can balance out my audio losses. LOL.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I'm not very much into collecting watches but I was gifted a Movado Museum silver and can appreciate the quality and craftsmanship.

I had an Uncle who would cruise by thrift shops and buy then resell watches on eBay. Made some good money.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Joey_V
    cmy330go wrote: »

Haha. No doubt. But financially, watches are a far better choice, as I don't think I've had a single piece of audio gear appreciate in value, whereas 3 out of the 4 watches I've purchased in the last 2 years have.

Maybe one day my watches can balance out my audio losses. LOL.

Yes I agree.

My investment is safe with my 4 Rolexes. I think I spent $30,000 on the 4 and I believe resale market has them pegged at approximately $35,000.

While not a huge increase in the 8 years I’ve owned them, Atleast I’m not in the hole as I would be with audio gear.
  • scubalab
    Latest acquisition. This is quickly becoming my favorite watch in the collection. It's the basic Orient Mako II. For a little over $100 initial investment, it looks/feels like a watch worth 10 times that.

I plan to eventually replace the flat mineral crystal with a double dome sapphire crystal with blue AR coating. Also planning on replacing the bracelet with a Strapcode Super Oyster. Might also try a Nato strap on it too.

movdqb9x5ejb.jpeg
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Wow. How did I not see this thread a while ago!

Yes been through much more watches than audio gear it seems. Have some i wished I had never let go. Current collection below. Most notable are the Fortis and the Omega.

t3y92j0yhbza.jpeg
  • scubalab
    Really like the Seamaster Joe! Of course I'm also partial to the Orient and the Seikos - great bang for buck watches.
  • joecoulson
    That Orient keeps amazing time
    I had a Ulysse Nardin 1846 Chrono that I gave to my dad
    I wanted him to enjoy it for now as those timepieces stay with families for some time
    and I am sure to see it again (sometime later I hope)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    Timepieces? I've got this one:

5twe7i1tpdyk.jpg
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2018
    I'm not very much into collecting watches but I was gifted a Movado Museum silver and can appreciate the quality and craftsmanship.

I had an Uncle who would cruise by thrift shops and buy then resell watches on eBay. Made some good money.

I have a Movado series 800 that I purchased off John Megadeth. Nice watches, very good quality, look great and affordable.

Some very nice timepieces shown here.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I have a Seiko kinetic watch that was my grandpa’s. He would wear it to church every Sunday, but wouldn’t wear it throughout the week. I heard from my mom that he would sit in the car shaking it up and down. Lol.
    He eventually got a new watch, and this one sat around for a while. He then later gave it to me. Wore it every day for a year until one of the leather bands came apart just a few weeks ago. I have yet to fix it... I need to do that. :)
    I’ll post some pics once I fix it.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I've taken a sabbatical from my watch obsession over the years. Thank goodness! My pride and joy, Breitling Emergency (stock photo, as the battery needs replacement on mine):
    dgtnw5yjj8hp.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    This thread inspired me to leave the Apple Watch on the charger today and take this ol gal out for the day.
    7gvf1ux6jieb.jpeg
  • verb
    Nice watch Joe. I love the mechanical watches! Can't bring myself to get a apple watch, as the technology is outdated in very short order. What are they up to now? version 4 in just a few years? The mechanical watches are timeless (no pun intended)! :smile:

I also have 2 SuperOceans (blue and coral) - love em!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • I’m in tech and for the life of me can’t buy into the Apple Watch. I know it’s cool but laptop, tablet and phone is enough connectivity for me.

This was a gift for High School Graduation in 1987, my first Mechanical watch, Seiko 6309. Had it refreshed about a year ago and wear on occasion.

6wviefyv0v9k.jpeg
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • verb
    My recent fave, been wearing alot these days. Bell & Ross GMT:
    sa7zlh3pn0zx.png
  • joecoulson
    verb wrote: »
    sa7zlh3pn0zx.png

Always loved those. Almost bought one way back but purchased the Fortis Spacematic instead.
    The Apple Watch is more of an availability to be reached than anything for me. Having it just vibrate on my wrist in meetings or on jobsites and not have to deal with a phone ring tone, worth it for me personally.
    But when I’m not on the clock, I wear one ;)
  • Joey_V
    verb wrote: »
    sa7zlh3pn0zx.png

Ah... BR has been something I wanted for a while but never got around to buying one.

Nice!
    joecoulson wrote: »
    This thread inspired me to leave the Apple Watch on the charger today and take this ol gal out for the day.
    7gvf1ux6jieb.jpeg

Legit watch, I had the Bond blue at one time! The dial and the band is so nice.

I found the bracelet to be better than my Rolexes.
  • Joey_V
    Here is what’s on my wrist today

Back home from work

nszrluy2n8g6.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2018
    Ol faithful indeed
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited October 2018
    4e0x0s7d19vk.jpg
    ioip85bl1uil.jpg
    My Seiko kinetic watch. Not sure on model. I need to get the capacitor swapped for a battery, but I keep telling myself “that’s $50 you could put towards audio gear.” :) The gold piece that goes over the date on the right side fell off, and got stuck up in the top. I want to get it out, but I need a special tool, and once again, that’s $30 I could put towards audio.
    (Edit:) the lighting in the picture of the watch on my arm is weird, so it looks like the watch is so tight that it is cutting off circulation and making it purple. It is not. :)