Conrad Johnson vs. Carver Amp

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited March 2018
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The LS100 tube rabbit hole not that deep...simple 2-6SN7's and 1-GZ34 rectifier

Are you kidding? The 6SN7 rabbit hole I fell down is DEEP with smooth side walls and nothing to grab onto to, to climb out of this abyss

By the way, nice write up!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    GlennDog wrote: »

Are you kidding? The 6SN7 rabbit hole I fell down is DEEP with smooth side walls and nothing to grab onto to, to climb out of this abyss

By the way, nice write up!

@GlennDog looking after a Polkie brother! Thanks! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    That CJ is looking less like William Conrad and more like Robert Conrad. :p

ei7pxf3wkxu5.jpg
  • verb
    I think that's a compliment? Thanks Jimmy! Rocking Rush Hemispheres right now!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    What up Viking...you have a thing for Conrad's johnson

Nah, I'm just *ahem* poking a little fun at my friend verb. He knows how to *ahem* take it. :p
  • Viking64
    verb wrote: »
    I only know "The Trees" and "La Villa Strangiato" from that album. Both excellent tracks! B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2018
    Congrats on the amp once again. Any word on when the comparison between th CJ and tha Levinson will take place?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I only know "The Trees" and "La Villa Strangiato" from that album. Both excellent tracks! B)

Both of my faves !
  • Viking64
    edited March 2018
    :)
    Post edited by Viking64 on
  • verb

Yeah Jimmy can take it too! :smiley:
  • Viking64
    Yeah Jimmy can take it too! :smiley:

Oh, thtahp! :p
  • Viking64
    edited March 2018
    o:)
    Post edited by Viking64 on
  • verb
    Congrats on the amp once again. Any word on when the comparison between th CJ and tha Levinson will take place?

Killin me dude! It took strategy (and timing) to sneak this behemoth into the house! :smiley:
  • verb

I really know why you like Hemispheres. Hmmm, album cover? :smiley:
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

Good compliment of tubes, I like the 6SN7's. I'm betting this would be a GREAT pairing with the CJ.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • verb
    o:)

Anyone see a gigantic chicken rolling around? Hmmm. :smile:
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Great initial review. Looking forward to further thoughts as you get more time on it and try it out with more music.

Few things that jumped out at me that I left in bold below. It sounds like it was a fairly dramatic difference versus the Carver.

The bass having more impact at the same listening levels is interesting. Must be the larger power reserve or circuit design!

Also interesting that you said it's warmer, but that the vocals were more detailed. I wouldn't have necessarily assumed that clarity would also increase along with warmth.
    All I can say is wow! For starters, this amp is definitely warmer sounding than the Carver. The highs were noticeably clearer and less bright. Mid ranges including Amy Lee's vocals were more detailed. This CD does it for me as the mix of rock and symphonic tones emphasized how well the CJ performed. Even during louder segments of a song I could more accurately pinpoint the xylophone notes. Amazing! Much more detailed than the Carver.

Soundstage was noticeably larger. I could hear nuances left/right and front/back up/down that I literally never noticed before!

Next, I decided to clobber my ears a bit and played tracks 3 and 4 of Disturbed Immortal. I like those tracks because they are instrumentals only of the first 2 tracks. Same levels as I normally do as well.

This baby has punch! The bass notes were again noticeably tighter, and quick, but powerful. The one thing that struck me was the increased feeling of SPL! I could feel more bass at the same location!

How did @F1nut characterize his experience at Polk Headquarters? Oh yes, the sack got blown back!

Even during the rampage of the Disturbed tracks, I could, again, identify detail never noticed before. Little riffs of a guitar here and there, the crispness of cymbals, snare drum, etc. was much cleaner.

More to come, but this amp is a keeper!

I still love the Carver, but the CJ takes everything to another level! My journey continues. :smile:

• verb
    I shall! The bass response was the most dramatic thing I noticed. This amp also definitely tamed the harshness (brightness) from the top end. But clarity and detail appeared throughout the spectrum. Nuances and subtleties not noticed before.

I gotta get more time on this baby!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I told ya.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    I gotta get more time on this baby!

Dude, whatever floats your boat. :o

3y5gh31nwgxh.jpg
  • verb
    F1nut wrote: »
    I told ya.

Yes you did. Father @F1nut ! May the sacks always blow back! :smiley:
  • verb
    LOL too difficult to type! :smiley:
  • Viking64
    LOL too difficult to type! :smiley:

Just pull a few rolls of her fat off of your keyboard. This isn't rocket surgery! :p
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Okay so not to pick on your review but you DID burn in the new crossovers first then play the same songs on the Carver first right? Not doubting you or anything...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr

Said the crack dealer... :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Okay so not to pick on your review but you DID burn in the new crossovers first then play the same songs on the Carver first right? Not doubting you or anything...

Nope actually you have a point as this would yet be another variable in the equation. The 1C's that I am running are my other set that I picked up a few weeks ago. Bone stock as far as I can tell, except the RDO-194 tweeter upgrade and mortite around the drivers.

Once I get off my arse and finish up the other 1C's, that is another contrast I am eager to witness!
  • audioluvr
    Hmmm... Well one would think that two different 1C's would have very similar sound but like any other electronic device, probably not. Once could have 200 hours on caps and the other could have 20,000 hours on caps. Just saying you should do this like a science experiment for us (borderline) OCD members....
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• verb
    I'm expecting yet another jump in performance with my fully modded 1C's.

The CJ was the only variable in my comparison today. The difference was quite noticeable.