New interconnect options for SDA

Hi all, I have a pair of SDA SRS 2's that I need to have a new interconnect cable built. I am wondering if these will work for the Blade/Blade version?

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nlt4mp-bag-speakon-stx-4-pole-male-chassis-connector-black-chrome-metal-housing--092-340

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nlt4fx-bag-speakon-stx-4-pole-female-cable-connector-black-chrome-metal-housing--092-336

I believe they work for pin/blade SDAs which I also need but I need to replace the Blade/Blade version first.

Thanks as always.

Best Answers

Answers

• chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    Okay thanks, that answers that.

Any recommendations on what cable to use? I use modest Audioquest type 4 speaker cable for the SDAs at the moment.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited July 2017
    I have a parts express coupon if you end up wanting it. Don't remember how much you need to spend before the discount kicks in but I will check when I get home.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • chandler9a
    okay thanks guys. It looks pretty straight forward, I think I saw a post here a while ago on how to actually do this so I will try to find that again and get this done.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • chandler9a
    Ah okay, thank you for that
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Don't forget to seal the hole you make for the socket on the backside of the binding post plate. Hot glue works well for that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chandler9a
    yes I remember reading somewhere that it would need to be resealed. I want to make sure the cabinets stay air tight.
  • chandler9a
    I am about to put these cables together using Audioquest type 4 and wanted to make sure I am soldering the correct things here before I go.

Am I connecting Positive (red) cable to -2 and negative (black) to -1?

These will be for my SDA 2.3 speakers so my next question is how should I wire the inside of the speaker to the female Neutrik?

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    The way I've read most on here and the way I did mine are +1 goes to the blue/pin wire the -1 goes to the white/blade wire.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • chandler9a
    okay so does that change how I solder the IC cable to the female Neutriks? Sorry, I meant male neutrik in my earlier post above where I was talking about inside the speaker.
  • F1nut
    Your 2.3's are pin/blade. For the socket connect the blue wire to 1+ and the white wire to 1-. For your interconnect cable one wire gets connected to the 1+ and the other wire to 1- at both ends.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chandler9a
    got it, thanks. That makes sense.
  • chandler9a
    so I am finally getting to install the Speakon connections in my SDA 2.3's and have another quick question. The Neutrik NL4MP-UC socket is too big to fit in the existing hole where the original socket is. For some reason I thought they would be the same size. Am I now drilling out a bigger hole in the terminal plate?

I just installed the RDO-194's, can't wait to get these speakers back up and running.
  • chandler9a
    Okay great, thank you.
  • F1nut
    Ah yeah, you've got to make the hole bigger.

President of Club Polk

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ah yeah, you've got to make the hole bigger.

That's what she said....

S'cuze me!

• chandler9a
    At this point I may as well do the binding posts while I'm in there, this rabbit hole just gets deeper. It's one of the few mods I've never done on SDA's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    chandler9a wrote: »
    At this point I may as well do the binding posts while I'm in there, this rabbit hole just gets deeper. It's one of the few mods I've never done on SDA's

YES NO BRAINER!!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Jump in dude! Check out my thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path/p1
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • chandler9a
    I have hooked everything up and all seemed well until i did the balance test and when I put it all the way to the left, I get sound from the stereo drivers on the right. If my memory serves me, I should only be getting sound from the dimensional drivers on the opposite side.

Furthermore, I am still getting more output on the left speaker dimensional drivers than I am the right. I will have to get in there and make sure all MW's are wired up correctly but I thought the Nuetriks would have solved this problem.

Any suggestions?
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I have hooked everything up and all seemed well until i did the balance test and when I put it all the way to the left, I get sound from the stereo drivers on the right. If my memory serves me, I should only be getting sound from the dimensional drivers on the opposite side.

Furthermore, I am still getting more output on the left speaker dimensional drivers than I am the right. I will have to get in there and make sure all MW's are wired up correctly but I thought the Nuetriks would have solved this problem.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like an internal wiring issue, do the stereo drivers have colored wires attached or black and white? Last I opened my SDAs the black/white was the stereo driver wires, colored was dimensional.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • chandler9a
    Yes, I checked and the black and white are the stereo drivers on both sides.

I just tried it without the interconnect and the right channel does the same exact thing either way. Could there be something wrong with the crossovers?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Blade/Blade SRS-2, 3rd generation? If so, verify the ground leads on the stereo and dimensional woofers are correct. Some had Black/Green for the Stereo Harnesses, and Blue/Green for the Dimensional harnesses. Some had Black/White for stereo and Blue/White for Dimensional. Some even had Black/White for Stereo, and Blue/Green for Dimensional. The point is, the grounds or neutrals are different for each harness. If they're mixed up for some reason, the crossovers won't work properly.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • chandler9a
    westmassguy,

These are actually SRS 2.3's non-TL. I tried to get in there today and take a good look at all of the wiring but I had my apprentices with me, ages 3 and 6 months and I just couldn't get all I wanted done. So, after bedtime, I will try to see whats going on.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    westmassguy,

These are actually SRS 2.3's non-TL. I tried to get in there today and take a good look at all of the wiring but I had my apprentices with me, ages 3 and 6 months and I just couldn't get all I wanted done. So, after bedtime, I will try to see whats going on.

Go get the wiring schematic from the vintage speaker area. Should be pretty self explanatory but i myself have fouled it up once or twice.