dfw area

2»

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    unfortunately, we don't have basements in texas, so "man caves" are not as easy to come by.
    Yes you do, instead of being called "man caves", you guys in Texas call them "border tunnels".

I'm just messin' with ya! Welcome to the forum.

• @Hermitism that's funny. we are a little too far north for those. ive only seen one basement here in dallas and it was my cousins parents house. they made a bunch of money from ups stock working there for however long and cashed it in when retired. only had 7 foot ceilings though as they couldn't get down any deeper.

thanks for the welcome
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    I’ve got a couple that you might want to try. An HK PA2400 and a Yamaha M-60 that might show you what more power will do but might not be the best pairing. I’m north on 75 from where you are. PM me if interested.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Don't worry @good_apollo lots of good stuff here!

I got an "UGH" from @F1nut several times as a neewbie. Then I had to remind him that he was repeating himself. :smiley:

Just remember to give it back! The banter here is great! Hang around, you'll learn a lot and these guys will help you spend your money!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • @Legender id definitely want to hear some other stuff, the speakers certainly arent lacking from power right now, but some people say home audio amps "sound better". im not looking for an amp to do anything except amplify the signal without coloring it
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    he just seems crabby overall.

honestly, if she wants them to be spray painted pink with some elephants on them, I wouldn't mind. the fact that she agreed to let them be in the living room is a win in my book. grill cloth is easy to replace so no biggie in my book.

unfortunately, we don't have basements in texas, so "man caves" are not as easy to come by.

Contact Magnepan for the cloth. I used the black cloth on my 1.2 TL’s and it is amazing. They have a nice ivory color, and grey available as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Contact Magnepan for the cloth. I used the black cloth on my 1.2 TL’s and it is amazing. They have a nice ivory color, and grey available as well.
    Hey, that's a GREAT idea that never occurred to me. I need some decent ivory and the Maggie shade and sheen should be perfect. Thanks, @nooshinjohn !
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    For some reason that reminds me I need to talk to you about acoustic room treatments soon.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Color is the spice of life.

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    DSkip wrote: »
    Color is the spice of life.

As in… If memory serves, white ostrich leather clad Elbas

I had these bad boys for a while… Entry-level Salk song towers that will sing to you.... if your listening environment is on the medium to small side

s4su7p9kpfnm.jpeg
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited March 2018
    :drool: Song Towers!

I really did salivate when I looked at that photo. Gorgeous speakers.
    GlennDog wrote: »

• man, those towers look sweet. i actually got some ivory fabric from joann's fabric, very light, stretchy. never done a recover before, but turned out fine.1jw4csmkw4df.jpg
  • got it a little dirty already. :'( should have cleaned up my workspace first.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    Got to keep the misses happy. I thought mine was gonna blow a gasket when I bought my 1.2tl’s home. She is used to them now. Those look good.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • thanks, gotta sand and finish the caps and bases still, and recover the sides, whatever glue was used to attach them is like trying to chizel off granite. i got liquid nails to reattach them, but was thinking of countersinking some magnets instead. i have a feeling white wont stay white long and trying to get the side panels back off doesnt sound appealing.

i wonder if just doing the sides in a wood veneer would change the acoustical p[properties at all?
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    edited March 2018
    It shouldn’t. You can pretty much make them to your preference. I had the same 2b’s and chose to redo the fabric on the sides.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • 2nd grill done. that was pretty easy. im wondering if there are thin strong pieces of velcro i might be able to attach the sides with, no sure they are thick enough to sink a magnet into.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    @Joey_V im on the coit exit off 75, right by the starbucks there.

also, I don't think that rotel is in my budget at the moment.

oh man!! party spot for LSAF :p
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • as soon as i get it back in order anybody is welcome. beware of chihuahua though.
  • maybe the wife can make shawarma.
  • verb
    man, those towers look sweet. i actually got some ivory fabric from joann's fabric, very light, stretchy. never done a recover before, but turned out fine.1jw4csmkw4df.jpg
    Looks great! Nice job @good_apollo !
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Finished one tower. Wish the fabric was a touch thicker.
    Not really my cup of tea, but the wife should be happy.

y86slwa8yz5d.jpeg
  • That seam should be closer, but I used Velcro on the back because I’m not 100% sure this is the final fabric, and I’m 100% sure it’s gonna get dirty.
  • verb
    That seam should be closer, but I used Velcro on the back because I’m not 100% sure this is the final fabric, and I’m 100% sure it’s gonna get dirty.

I feel like @F1nut is about to repeat himself! :smiley:

Nice job BTW! Agree the seam needs a bit of tightening. Or you can go for solid wood panels as I am doing.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I think it looks nice, and your wife will be happy. Luckily Most of us chumps get points for effort lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    I’m not a fan of the Joann fabric. It’s too thick and restricts the sound imho. Nice work though.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    New speakers or divorce

I sure love my new speakers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • good_apollo
    good_apollo Posts: 54
    edited March 2018
    The fabric I used is quite a bit thinner than what was on there.
    I think wood panels is gonna be the best way to go. The hardboard that they came with was a little warped and it’s hard to attach unless it’s a permanent bond, which I’m not ready to do.

Will most likely do an oak or something.

• nooshinjohn
    Get the grey Magnepan cloth they use on the 20.7 series. It is very shear, and will allow just a hint of the drivers to be seen through the cloth with the grills in place. the look is spectacular and is acoustically invisible.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Or...the Maggie twill fabric.. I have a set built near 1968. Good stuff.