dfw area

hello, new to the forum, and new to sda speakers.
was wondering if there is anyone local in the dfw area that is an sda owner that may be able to recommend or demo/sell an amp to me. I have an amp that isn't common ground and was looking for another. ive been using pro amps for some time and have no complaints until now, not the sound quality, just unable to run the ic cable.

preferable budget would top out around $500
have been interested in the crown xls line for a while, but am always open to "home audio" amps as well.

speakers are un modded sda 2b I picked up for $80, will modify in the near future.

thanks in advance for any help from locals.

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Welcome! I live in the DFW area, but I have no experience with SDA

Good luck with your amp search.

If you want to hang out with my group, just Send me a message and I’ll let you know when we meet next time
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • hahaha, valet parking in dallas is awful.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    edited March 2018
    I’m local too but don’t have an amp either. I do have some binding posts if you’re still in need of one.I always look for deals so I will keep an eye out for you. You really need to steer away from the Crown and the like if you want to get the most out of your speakers though. IMHO
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • @dkfreebird that would be great. what part of town are you located in?
  • dkfreebird
    Grand Prairie
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • ok, not far. im off 75/635. used to live in bishop arts which would have been much closer!
  • dkfreebird
    Yep,atleast you live close to where LSAF held so you won’t have an excuse not to show up and meet some fellow Polkies. :)
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• dkfreebird
    You can pm me and maybe we can meet up so you can get the posts. I’m not sure which size you need but I should have one. Post a pic of the speakers if you can.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    @good_apollo welcome to the Polk site.

I am also in the DFW area. North Fort Worth. I don't currently have any SDA's but have in the past. They can be great speakers when setup properly.

Hang around the site. Many amps will be for sale on the site and great information can be found on how to maximize performance.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • thanks guys, ive never owned any polk vintage stuff before. ive had numerous sets of some other polks over the years, but never been a polkie, most of my speakers have been infinity (please forgive me) but these sda's even unmodded have been eye opening to say the least
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Yup....LSAF is one fine get together in Dallas. @dkfreebird is short and ugly.....but a heck of a nice guy....

I'll second the thoughts on steering away from the Crown amp for music. A little harsh at volume. Great for subs and such, though.
  • ill post a pic when I get home.
  • good_apollo
    good_apollo Posts: 54
    edited March 2018
    the other amp I had considered was an adcom gfa555. anybody here have any experience? I hear they can get pretty hot.
  • dkfreebird
    edited March 2018
    That is what I started out with. Fine amp. The 2b’s were my gateway drug to the bigger Sda’s. @DSkip might have an amp. He will chime in if he does.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• ok, cool.
    I have a full set of infinity alpha I need to unload before the new wife will allow an amp purchase. luckily she agreed to let me put the sda's in the living room when we move, but the speaker cloth needs to be gray. lol.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Ugh
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• "ugh"

that's helpful.

go cry yourself a sanctimonious river elsewhere.
  • @DSkip how involved is replacing the relays?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Whenever I see "DFW", I always think it means something far more filthy than it actually does.

I used an Adcom GFA555II to power a pair of big SDAs for about 15 years. I was pretty happy with that combination. I have only used Crown amps for live audio, never home, but I would guess an Adcom would be a much better match with any SDA.
  • while I usually am "down for whatever", in this case its just dallas/fort worth.

@Viking64 did you have any heat issues with the adcom at all?
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    ok, not far. im off 75/635. used to live in bishop arts which would have been much closer!

Wow, my brother lives right here, I bet you guys are neighbors.

Re an amp, I have a Rotel 1582 that I use, but am always up for some random upgrade or whatever.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Viking64
    while I usually am "down for whatever", in this case its just dallas/fort worth.

@Viking64 did you have any heat issues with the adcom at all?

I didn't think it ever got really hot, although it was never operated in a closed space and certainly never had anything stacked on it. HAHAHA
  • good_apollo
    good_apollo Posts: 54
    edited March 2018
    @Joey_V im on the coit exit off 75, right by the starbucks there.

also, I don't think that rotel is in my budget at the moment.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    "ugh"

that's helpful.

go cry yourself a sanctimonious river elsewhere.

Relax man, I'm pretty sure F1NUT 's comment was directed at the Grey cloth you mentioned for the SDA's. Not exactly appealing to most men, hence the UGH comment.

Welcome to the "thick skin required" forum. :)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    tonyb wrote: »
    Welcome to the "thick skin required" forum.

Oooohhh, gross! If that mental image isn't "DFW", I don't know what is! :p
  • he just seems crabby overall.

honestly, if she wants them to be spray painted pink with some elephants on them, I wouldn't mind. the fact that she agreed to let them be in the living room is a win in my book. grill cloth is easy to replace so no biggie in my book.

unfortunately, we don't have basements in texas, so "man caves" are not as easy to come by.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    WAF is an important consideration.
    he just seems crabby overall.

honestly, if she wants them to be spray painted pink with some elephants on them, I wouldn't mind. the fact that she agreed to let them be in the living room is a win in my book. grill cloth is easy to replace so no biggie in my book.

unfortunately, we don't have basements in texas, so "man caves" are not as easy to come by.

• @Clipdat especially an an Arabic wife, they can get angry!
  • Viking64
    @Clipdat especially an an Arabic wife, they can get angry!

I'll say. I bet you are typing with the one hand you have left. :p
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I hear they really "Go to 11".
    @Clipdat especially an an Arabic wife, they can get angry!