OLED or LED

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,007
Ok,
I'm looking at new TV's and have strong options of what I think it the right move. Since I'm still a Plasma guy( Pioneer Elite Kuro ) I'm having a difficult time switching to LED. The OLED sets from LG and Sony are pretty fantastic looking but the Sony XBR LED's make a strong case for being the superior choice.
I'm considering a 65-75 inch model.
I like the Z9D from Sony which you can get in 65 or 75 inch. It's basically last years model but can be upgraded to Dobly Vision since it has the Xtreme Processor in it.
I also really like the Sony OLED in a 65 inch size. The 77 inch is well lets just say a bit out of my price range that I'm willing to spend on a new TV.
The Sony 930E 65 inch and the 940E 75 Inch Tv's seem to be the best bang for the buck. The model numbers are different but they are the exact TV just different sizes and 1 down from the flagship Z9D model according to Sony.

The LG's are cheaper but look pretty fantastic. I don't know if they are the way to go or not. Some say they are better then the Sony but I'm not so sure I fall for that. I think the Sony XBR lineup has better processors and a better picture.

What is your opinion of the Higher end market on Tv's in the 65-75 inch range? Just so you know I hate Samsung.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Believe the Sony 940 is back lit, while the 930's are edge lit. That back lit gives better black levels.

The Z9D series is really impressive. Think it's right there with any OLED on the market. Of course Sony knows that and wants a premium for it.

Unfortunately I haven't looked at the 930 or 940 series, so I really can't give an opinion on them, and may just hesitate to buy until I looked at them. Unless I got a great deal on something else.

Think I would lean more toward the Sony 65Z9D than the OLED TVs. Technology is still relatively new, so there isn't any real world experience with life span. May or may not be burn in issues, not enough real world experience in that area either. Have heard that there has Benin occasional reports of temporary burn in issues, but not many.

As far as Sony's OLED, the speaker incorporated into the actual screen is an interesting idea, but is it going to affect picture life span. Not that I would personally ever use a TV's speakers, but just having the design could very well impact lifespan. Again, just hasn't been available long enough to evaluate this issue.

Think right now I would go LED.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I'm in the same boat Mantis. Difficult decision. The LCD LED are plagued with a poor viewing angle, and for some reason that just irks me.

My Pioneer plasma and Samsung plasma are going strong and look terrific.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2017
    Pretty sure the 930 has an array. I have a 900 and it has an array. Local dimming doesn't work with edge lit and both of those sets have it. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930e

I agree. LED for now until OLED gets cheaper/more mainstream.

Edit: You guys are right, 930E is edge lit. My bad.
    Post edited by Airplay355 on
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have had the Sony 75” Z9D for a year, and an Oppo 203. I absolutely love it. It is like being at the movies, and I haven’t seen a thing yet to complain about. I just received Terminator 2 in 4K UHD, and am ready to be impressed once again.

I paid $9K last November, but you can get it for $7K now. My thinking was/is I want to enjoy it now, not a year from now just to save a few dollars.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited December 2017
    I'm in the same boat. This coming year I want to replace my Samsung plasma. NOTHING is wrong with it, but I want a larger screen.

I've seen the Sony OLED in action and it is AMAZING, I have not seen the Z9D series in person though.

As for LG, the only reason that some people seem to like LG over Sony is the fact that Sony uses an Android OS and it sucks. I have the Android OS on my Sony 4K display in my 2ch system and I'm not a fan.

Everything else I can find usually says that the Sony picture is better, but the LG OS is better. For me, the picture quality is everything, so Sony it is for me. Besides, I want to stick to my "No More LG For Me" stance I adopted when they screwed me over on my washing machine years ago...
  • mantis
    The Z9D is incredible. It's damn near plasma like and amazingly close to the performance of the OLED. For LED it's the best one ever made in my opinion.
    The XBR75X940E is damn close to it's performance for a lot less money. Since the 940E is this years model, I will say it's the best 2017 model LED I've seen.
    But the OLED Sony keeps calling to me like thats the one I should have. I can get into the 65 but the 75 is a stretch. The Z9D is way more affordable at the 75 inch size and the 940E is a steal compared to both the OLED and Z9D.
    I'm strongly leaning towards the 940E.
    Dan
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I've had eyes on a lot of TVs over the past few years. Lots of love on this forum for the Sony models - always has been. They have a very natural look right out of the box. Personally, any of the higher-end models from what I think of as The Big 3 (Sony, Samsung, and LG) are really very good. It's really just a matter of personal preference. You seem to like Sony, so go for it. I have 2 LG OLED TVs and absolutely love them. I've seen a lot of Samsung SUHD and QLED models and they're fantastic, too, if not a little bright right out of the box. Fact is, they can all be adjusted to suit preferences. TEHO I say.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    For me the Sony's have it in spades.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    I just went with the 940E it is an amazing TV. I have a buddy with a Z9 and it is better but not $2500 better. He also works for BB so he paid a lot less.
    I find the black level better then my Panasonic VT so it was worth it. It will get the DV update in January too.
    I output my Oppo 203 in source direct and the Sony processor is awesome.

We watched Mummy last night and the picture is great. I also like the Live football mode for sports its does well with motion blur.
    Best bang for buck in 2017. Go Z9 if funds are not an issue.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Theheadsn
    Theheadsn Posts: 413
    I've had the 65" LG OLED C7 now for over 6 months. If you're looking for a television to produce one of the best picture qualities out there, this is your choice. The features lend it to being somewhat future proof. Plus having the ability to send Atmos over ARC is nice. These days you can get the 65" for a reasonable price as well. I wish I could have went bigger but OLED is a very expensive pay to play type of investment, at least for me.
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
    • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• Your Pioneer elite Kuro plasma tv is a top of the line plasma!!!
    I still absolutely love my plasma TV's. All the LCD, LED, and even OLED TV's don't do fast moving action like the old plasma TV's. The plasma TV's and even the big old fat cathode ray tube TV's were/are so much better at fast movement. All the new TV's still look pixelated when you watch fast movement. For myself I like to watch sci-fi, action, and sports, that's why the new tv's aren't doing it for me. Stick with your plasma tv, unless you want a bigger size tv.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited January 2018
    So what's the best buy going into the Super Bowl sales? I'm in the market for something in the 55" range give or take 5" to wall mount. Some of the LG OLED's can be had for under $1500 and then some pretty nice LED's for $650 and under.
    Did you ever decide on one Mantis?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • mantis
    Ducati Guy wrote: »
    Your Pioneer elite Kuro plasma tv is a top of the line plasma!!!
    I still absolutely love my plasma TV's. All the LCD, LED, and even OLED TV's don't do fast moving action like the old plasma TV's. The plasma TV's and even the big old fat cathode ray tube TV's were/are so much better at fast movement. All the new TV's still look pixelated when you watch fast movement. For myself I like to watch sci-fi, action, and sports, that's why the new tv's aren't doing it for me. Stick with your plasma tv, unless you want a bigger size tv.
    It's why it's so damn hard to find a new tv that's 4k and I really think I'm upgrading. 1080p is still what most content is in so that performance has to rival my Kuro
    Dan
  • mantis
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    So what's the best buy going into the Super Bowl sales? I'm in the market for something in the 55" range give or take 5" to wall mount. Some of the LG OLED's can be had for under $1500 and then some pretty nice LED's for $650 and under.

It's gonna be a Sony 65 inch Z9D or the 75 inch 940E.
    Dan
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    edited January 2018
    I've run through the gamut of TV's lately. I initially bought a Sony x850e I was sorely disappointed with, upgraded to the 900e with a FALD panel and had major issues with two different sets. Tried a B7A LG Oled and had awful vertical banding and vignetting. Finally settled on a 65" Sony X930E which has issues of its own being an edge lit panel (albeit a very very good one) but I am happy with it. The OLED panel lottery is terrible right now
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    mantis wrote: »

Go ahead, spend a few more dollars and get the 75" Z9D. 4K, and 1080P, are both fantastic on it.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mantis
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I've run through the gamut of TV's lately. I initially bought a Sony x850e I was sorely disappointed with, upgraded to the 900e with a FALD panel and had major issues with two different sets. Tried a B7A LG Oled and had awful vertical banding and vignetting. Finally settled on a 65" Sony X930E which has issues of its own being an edge lit panel (albeit a very very good one) but I am happy with it. The OLED panel lottery is terrible right now
    For the money the 850E is very nice. The 900E is nicer for the extra pennies.
    The 930E is the best 2017 LED out there in the USA as the Z9D is a 2016 model year TV.
    Can to talk about the issues you experienced with the 930E? It's on my short list as the price dropped a lot and that TV is pretty fantastic . Without having it in my house and watching movies Tv and gaming, I can only speak from my limited experience after I hang one. I think the picture is incredible and I'm so considering it and saving a lot of money not going with the 75 or the Z9D
    Dan
  • mantis
    BlueFox wrote: »

Go ahead, spend a few more dollars and get the 75" Z9D. 4K, and 1080P, are both fantastic on it.

The Z9D is incredible and a worthy replacement of my Kuro. And I think it's a better TV then Sony's OLED only due to the crazy increase in price for the 77 inch. The Z9D is a much better value and damn near as good in so many ways. It might possibly be the best TV not he market but the OLED is just a tad smoother and more Plasma like which I like a bit more. I'm so on the fence going with a LED.
    Dan
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2018
    I chose the 900E because I couldn't really see a difference between it and the 930E. The 930 has a better processor and I've read in a few places that it will eventually get a firmware upgrade to support Dolby Vision. I didn't care too much about Dolby Vision and didn't want to drop a few hundred more on the 930E. I think the 900 was $1300 when I got it but BB has them on sale for $1k now (for the 55" model).

We haven't really had any problems with it, other than weird HDMI quirks that seem to plague everything. For example, it will randomly say that no source is detected and that it's going to turn off when playing from our Roku. Pressing a random remote button seems to fix it and then it won't do it again. If you're not paying attention though, it will turn itself off in the middle of a show.

Really any of the Sonys looked great to me. It was hard to pick one. Samsung's also looked great but seemed more expensive.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    The 930E is the best 2017 LED out there in the USA as the Z9D is a 2016 model year TV.
    Can to talk about the issues you experienced with the 930E? It's on my short list as the price dropped a lot and that TV is pretty fantastic . Without having it in my house and watching movies Tv and gaming, I can only speak from my limited experience after I hang one. I think the picture is incredible and I'm so considering it and saving a lot of money not going with the 75 or the Z9D

First I'll cover the 900's since they are popular TV's. Both sets had brightness irregularity around all 4 edges, the edges were noticeable brighter than then the rest of the screen. The first set was livable but the panel and frame was warped by 1/2 inch which my OCD would not allow. The second had awful blooming/light bleed problems and was in the box a few hours after I set it up.

The 930e due to the edge lighting has brightness leak into the "black bars" on movies when there are bright elements near the black bars and there is some bloom around bright highlights on the screen which is to be expected on a 1400 nit edge lit tv. I have installed bias lighting which makes both the above issues a non issue for me. If I had the money, I would get the Z9D, i was able to get my 65x930e for 1750 though
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010

First I'll cover the 900's since they are popular TV's. Both sets had brightness irregularity around all 4 edges, the edges were noticeable brighter than then the rest of the screen. The first set was livable but the panel and frame was warped by 1/2 inch which my OCD would not allow. The second had awful blooming/light bleed problems and was in the box a few hours after I set it up.

The 930e due to the edge lighting has brightness leak into the "black bars" on movies when there are bright elements near the black bars and there is some bloom around bright highlights on the screen which is to be expected on a 1400 nit edge lit tv. I have installed bias lighting which makes both the above issues a non issue for me. If I had the money, I would get the Z9D, i was able to get my 65x930e for 1750 though

That sucks. Maybe this is why I hold on to my Pioneer and Samsung plasma TV's.
  • mantis
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I chose the 900E because I couldn't really see a difference between it and the 930E. The 930 has a better processor and I've read in a few places that it will eventually get a firmware upgrade to support Dolby Vision. I didn't care too much about Dolby Vision and didn't want to drop a few hundred more on the 930E. I think the 900 was $1300 when I got it but BB has them on sale for $1k now (for the 55" model).

We haven't really had any problems with it, other than weird HDMI quirks that seem to plague everything. For example, it will randomly say that no source is detected and that it's going to turn off when playing from our Roku. Pressing a random remote button seems to fix it and then it won't do it again. If you're not paying attention though, it will turn itself off in the middle of a show.

Really any of the Sonys looked great to me. It was hard to pick one. Samsung's also looked great but seemed more expensive.
    Nothing wrong with the 900E series. They have the same processor as the 930E in the X1 but the difference is the back lighting. The 930E simply has way more zones for local dimming.
    Either way it's a good choice. The 930E is clearly better in my opinion. If you go side by side there are many differences in overall picture quality. The control of dimming makes all the difference in the world. This is where night and day comes in.
    Dan
  • mantis
    I forgot to mention the 930/940 has the X1 Processor but it's the extreme
    Dan
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    I saw an LG OLED (OLED65C7P) in Best Buy last night and even I was impressed and I am a video snob. :p

There were some Sony LED's in the $1500-2000 range that looked decent, but they had some backlight characteristics that no amount of tweaking will EVER dial out. I would have loved to see a SONY OLED, but this wasn't a Shagnolia store so there was nothing in stock.

The above LG is listed as "Magnolia" on the BB website, as well as the OLED55C7P, but they are both on the sales floor AND available for pick-up today. Still, 55 inches? POPPYCOCK!!! Go big or go home.

Anywhich, TV's are really starting to look amazing and there are several new video innovations on the horizon that will finally "fix" what has been wrong all along. They solved the resolution issue for the most part. Now it's time for the GOOD stuff.
  • Airplay355
    I don't think I could handle more than 55". I feel like I'm sitting too close to it as is. 65 would be massive and would barely fit :dizzy:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    I don't think I could handle more than 55". I feel like I'm sitting too close to it as is. 65 would be massive and would barely fit :dizzy:
    More will always fit.......it's physics......

comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    brettw22 wrote: »
    More will always fit.......it's physics......
    Kinda like (amp) power

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420

Tight is ALWAYS good :blush: