2»

Comments

• Welcome to the "OTJ" thread ? :o
    Sal Palooza
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Welcome to the "OTJ" thread ? :o
    ???

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    As they say in the car world, 'there's no replacement for displacement.' Go large or go home... basically. Find what fits your max fitment area, and nothing smaller... or you'll be disappointed. Sure, it'll cost a bit more, but you'll be happier in the end.

Currently - I finally hung/fired up a Panasonic Viera 55" plasma to take over duties from a 42" model. Above my fireplace I'm certain I can squeeze in a 65" OLED 4K model... so that is what I'll shoot for when the time is right.

Always go 'super sized'... it's the Ah-merican way!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Never put a TV over the fireplace. Aside from looking tacky as s**t, the screen should be level with your eyes.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Never put a TV over the fireplace. Aside from looking tacky as s**t, the screen should be level with your eyes.

Agreed, in principle, however, it seems some rooms in newer houses are designed such that that's the only reasonable place for a TV. IMO, it can be done adequately, only if the TV is sufficiently far enough from the seating position so as to avoid neck cramps. YMMV

P.S. I am generally not in favor of mounting above a fireplace, but sometimes there's no better option.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    We got it doubly bad in the house we bought. The tv was meant to be above a fireplace in a room with 25 foot ceilings. What happened to having a tv room? We’ve got it upstairs away from the main living space. I wouldn’t be able to stand the echos from the high ceilings. We were at least lucky that the Wall was flat above the fireplace and we covered up the outlets and such with artwork. I’m not sure how we would cover up one of those giant indents meant to house a TV and equipment.

Fireplace TVs and surround bars rule now.

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    We recently moved and during our house hunting I was amazed at how many houses didn't have an obvious place for a large TV in the LR other than above the fireplace. I've always hated that but that's what we ended up doing, even though we did have one decent wall , but since it's basically one large continuous space including kitchen, dining area, LR we needed that wall for furniture that otherwise would have had to go to far out into the room making the LR look too small. The family room is huge but downstairs and I'm not going down there to watch TV.
    Most of the houses seemed to have the TV's in a corner or above the fireplace, by necessity. The builders seem to design these LR's as if everyone just sits and stares at the fireplace and drinks tea.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones