A project for 2018: Compendium of Polk Audio ads, etc.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Another cool Polk Ad:
    oachbtwvnqv6.jpg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Order in the court!!!

(We're still in the B&W age)
  • verb
    lol @FestYboy
    Hey OP already spanked me for getting into the ditch attempting to chronicle the Polk family tree (yes with color ads).
    I've since repented and thought we're following a timeline ...
    And OP already posted a color ad ... :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    Actually, by all means! All y'all may throw in ads as you please -- I really only have access to one resource, so there're a bunch (like the facepalm guy!) that Audio doesn't seem to have.
    verb wrote: »
    Polk Stereo Bundle Package. Not sure who was selling these?
    dfpfyj3w1pdh.jpg

That was from Gordon Miller Music (in Towson, MD, ca. 1977 or 78).
    I believe it was their one and only catalog.

12015397575_5e1f5a7b8b_b.jpgGMMcatalog by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I have most of it scanned and uploaded to Flikr @:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskjaNkuL
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    verb wrote: »
    lol @FestYboy
    Hey OP already spanked me for getting into the ditch attempting to chronicle the Polk family tree (yes with color ads).

Oh I have no doubt Doc spanked you :p
  • mhardy6647
    well -- I am kinda into vinyl, but not spanking. Just to keep the record straight.

35993349896_78bda4e3b6_h.jpgDSC_8876 (4) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2018
    pkquat wrote: »
    delkal wrote: »
    No idea why they would show the bare frames attached. They make the speakers look goofy!
    FestYboy wrote: »
    From what I remember from my tour, the particular shape of the frame around the peerless tweets was there for defraction (sp) purposes.

FestYboy gets a :star: . This was one of the sales associates talking points back in the day. There was a difference in sound with the grille on and off.

That is true with most of the grills in the Polk line up with or without the defraction points around the tweeters. I find IMHO that the grill cloth across several of the SDA's I have owned is not exactly sound invisible. For any serious listening mine are always off.
  • verb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    well -- I am kinda into vinyl, but not spanking. Just to keep the record straight.

35993349896_78bda4e3b6_h.jpgDSC_8876 (4) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Looks like that record has a little wowee in it. Did you spank somebody with it? :)
  • verb
    Maybe a bit early in the timeline, but still black & white
    ahym1id14b7s.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    :)
    Thanks.

Do you know the source (magazine and/or the year) for that ad?

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    That ad reminds me of when Matt hit the mid-century mark, the HR department threw a surprise party for him. Everybody in the company was given a white lab coat and carried a mask made from the photo used in that ad. He thought he was coming into the main conference room for a general meeting and there was 80 or so people standing in lab coats looking at him with his face. He had a slightly embarrassed look on his face at first, but joined in on the fun.

That is itself would of made a great picture.
  • verb
    :)
    Thanks.

Do you know the source (magazine and/or the year) for that ad?

Some seller of vintage ads, can't remember where. They only stated the year 1985. Here's another one from the same year.
    7uxw8a380y47.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    I've got a color image of that photo -- appropriated from someplace on teh interwebs...

14285982279_15a7d8d1a1_b.jpgSDA SRS from magazine ad by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I seem to recall a Matt/labcoat image where he is holding something (a tweeter, perhaps) in his hand.
  • mhardy6647
    "Is that a tweeter in your hand or are you just... "

:|
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

I was going to write "holding something small in his hand", but I didn't want to start anything. :p
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »

I was going to write "holding something small in his hand", but I didn't want to start anything. :p

yeah, right ;)
  • verb
    That ad reminds me of when Matt hit the mid-century mark, the HR department threw a surprise party for him. Everybody in the company was given a white lab coat and carried a mask made from the photo used in that ad. He thought he was coming into the main conference room for a general meeting and there was 80 or so people standing in lab coats looking at him with his face. He had a slightly embarrassed look on his face at first, but joined in on the fun.

You must find a picture of that!!!
  • I remember someone taking photos that day, probably HR.
  • mhardy6647
    I remember someone taking photos that day, probably HR.

They would ;)
  • mhardy6647
    By the way -- I haven't forgotten my Sisyphean task vis-a-vis this thread. I've just been sort of atypically busy for the last week or so. :pensive:

xhq9b53vj34w.png
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Is that Matthew Polk? ^^^ He's freaking buffed!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Is that Matthew Polk? ^^^ He's freaking buffed!

I'm offended. ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    I remember someone taking photos that day, probably HR.

Give em up!!! That would be a nice addition to this compendium.
  • verb
    Is it time???
    9p4zlnr68sqe.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    ^^^ Nice addition! I've never seen that ad, nor (?!?) those loudspeakers before.
    I may be wrong about the latter observation -- but not the former! This is a new one on me.

Thanks very much for posting it to this thread.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    ^^^ Nice addition! I've never seen that ad, nor (?!?) those loudspeakers before.
    I may be wrong about the latter observation -- but not the former! This is a new one on me.

You've never seen LS or S series?
  • verb

Ouch!!! LOL!!! Not alot about the LS series on this forum. Not sure why...
  • mhardy6647

apparently? ;)

I kind of dropped out of hifi from the mid-1980s until the late 1990s (kids and career).